Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Spare tire low air solution.

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
PPD934 is on a distinguished road
PPD934's Tacoma Gallery
Spare tire low air solution.

I am new here and don;t know if this has been covered so sorry if it has. The annoying low pressure light that come on and is usually due to you spare that is a pain to put air in. I read on here where some were flipping the tire over but that makes hitting the valve stem a danger when off roading. This is what I did. I went to a local tire/wheel dealer (or camper dealer, or semi truck repair shop) and asked for a flexable valve stem extension hose that you put on the inside tire of a Dually truck setup so you can reach the valve stem. I lowered my spare put the extension on and then ran it thru a hole in the wheel facing it down. Raise the tire back up and now its no problem if the light comes on cause I don;t have to lower the tire anymore,.

Just a suggestion for all who didn;t know these extensions existed...
its about 6 to 8 inches long and cost me 15 bucks
Old 02-14-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
Marcola has a spectacular aura aboutMarcola has a spectacular aura aboutMarcola has a spectacular aura about
Name: Marc
Marcola's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you, I will be setting myself up with this tomorrow. Great idea!
Old 02-14-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
pat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pat's taco's Tacoma Gallery
thats a pretty good idea !
Old 02-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet! Another cheap Mod!

I was under the truck filling the darned spare a couple weeks ago. I was on the highway when the low pressure light came on in AM rush hour traffic and it was about 4 miles to where I could safely pull over and check my tires. All four tires had proper pressure so I kept going.

It was only later in the day when it dawned on me that there was a sensor on the spare.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i've had mine for over a year now and i've never had a light come on. hopefully the light wont be coming on after the new tires get installed though
Old 02-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
It took 18 months and a cold morning to set my spare off. On that note I highly suggest occasionally lowering and raising the spare and spraying a couple shots of WD40 onto the winch and cable that hold it in place. It sucks to find out that it rusted from lack of use when you need it.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45longcolt's Tacoma Gallery
I have read on one of the Tacoma forums that you can fool the TPMS part of the ECU by lowering your tire pressure on ALL the tires and then doing the reset. Instead of the alert going off when it hits say 20 #'s you can lower it to any number by setting ALL of the tires including the spare to a certain level and then resetting the the TPMS system.

Why do this? Some who off road a lot lower the tire pressure for better off road traction and the TPMS warning was annoying them a lot. Personally I like it to come on around 20 #'s to alert me.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW, and what a great idea ! It's guys like you who make forums like ours work, keep it up.