Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

What is teflon coated vs painted wheels

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2008, 01:42 AM   #1
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
What is teflon coated vs painted wheels

I see some wheel makers saying some of the wheels they sell are painted black.

Others say "Teflon" coated.

What is the difference. I have never heard of teflon except on frying pans.

Is it more durable?

Also any suggestions on a old school type of wheel that's black with the hole design around it.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
Brians03Taco is on a distinguished road
Brians03Taco's Tacoma Gallery
The Teflon coating is just like on the frying pans. Makes them easier to clean I would suppose. I can't imagine a Teflon coating to be stronger than paint. Think about how easy it is to chip a coated frying pan, you gotta use plastic spatulas and such with Teflon.

Painted is just painted, I imagine it's stronger that Teflon coatings but with anything thats painted it will chip, ding, and flake over time.

~Brian
Old 02-17-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
TacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud of

TacoSter's Tacoma Gallery
Most factory rims are teflon coating (alloy rims) very helpful in the snow/road salt belt! Had weld rims on a jeep few yrs back... never ever let the salt hit em... ruined the rims... forever pitted
Old 02-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
Brians03Taco is on a distinguished road
Brians03Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSter View Post
Most factory rims are teflon coating (alloy rims) very helpful in the snow/road salt belt! Ha weld rims on a jeep few yrs back... never ever let the salt hit em... ruined the rims... forever pitted
that I didn't know. Thanks for the knowledge

~Brian
Old 02-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
If you get painted rims, you can wax them and that serves as some protection
Old 02-18-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
Big Guns is on a distinguished road
Big Guns's Tacoma Gallery
The teflon rims, such as American Racing's ATX series, are easier to clean and give a unique look. They do chip real easily from what i hear. I, personally, have been looking for a set because i like the look they have. More of a matte, almost textured finish. I dont think there is any real benefit, other than ease of cleaning, between one or the other.