Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

How close is too close to the upper control arm?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
reg is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
reg's Tacoma Gallery
How close is too close to the upper control arm?

I have my new wheels and tires and I put one on the front of my 95 tacoma and there is about 1/4 inch of clearance between the tire and the upper ball joint/control arm. Is this clearance the same through all of the suspension travel? I had someone bounce the truck up and down and the gap seems to stay the same.

I'd like to avoid running spacers if I can, I don't like the wheels sticking out that extra 1.25 inches.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by reg View Post
I have my new wheels and tires and I put one on the front of my 95 tacoma and there is about 1/4 inch of clearance between the tire and the upper ball joint/control arm. Is this clearance the same through all of the suspension travel? I had someone bounce the truck up and down and the gap seems to stay the same.

I'd like to avoid running spacers if I can, I don't like the wheels sticking out that extra 1.25 inches.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
1/4" is fine. I have seen less than that. The tire wont move closer. If it does, you have bad bearings.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
yeap,the old credit card test works to.