LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

WTB Tires for a Pre-Runner

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
gozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shed
gozar's Tacoma Gallery
WTB Tires for a Pre-Runner

I found a set of 17" FJ Cruiser Steelies for my '07 pre-runner!

So.... what tires should I get?

07 Pre-Runner Off-Road.
:: No plans to lift it
:: Most driving (sadly) in town
:: Once in a while - dirt and a little off-road. Have only used my locker 2 times! (I work too much...)

My most extreme uses are getting to trailheads for hiking and biking. Example: driving up to Roger's Trough in the Superstitions. Although, I would like to come out once in a while with the other AZ dirtheads on here to see what can be done with a stock pre-runner!

Truthfully, the Rugged Trail TA's that came stock with it fit my needs pretty well.

Edit... what size should I get?

Any suggestions?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
the biggest size unlifted is a 265/70/17. terra grapplers come in that size as well as BFG AT's i believe...cant go wrong w/ either
Old 11-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
gozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shed
gozar's Tacoma Gallery
Hadn't thought about the Terra Grapplers... they cost less than the BFG TA's, and seem pretty good.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
gozar's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking about this... I know it's hard to go wrong with the BFG TA's - but they are pretty spendy.

So ::
What do you guys think would be the "Best Bang for the Buck" considering that my usage isn't that extreme?

Or, is this a "You get what you pay for" situation?
Old 11-19-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
I pull Tacomas' around for a living.
Jon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan (Jon)
Jon4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Jon4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
the biggest size unlifted is a 265/70/17. terra grapplers come in that size as well as BFG AT's i believe...cant go wrong w/ either
my friend has 285/70/17 on his stock tacoma and only has a little rubbing when sharp turns.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon4x4 View Post
my friend has 285/70/17 on his stock tacoma and only has a little rubbing when sharp turns.

285/75/16's slightly rub on mine w/ a 3" lift, new UCA's, and backspaced rims....
Old 11-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
yah you know me and you have gone over this. no lift. 285/70/17 stock sport rims trd sport prerunner.

yeah..and i'll believe that like the guy that did the v8 swap on his

look at the pic u posted...there's like 2" between the back of the front fender and the tire. unless the entire fender has been gutted, there's more than a slight rub. thats not mentioning the rub on the UCA since there on stockers and no spacers/new uca's
Old 11-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
Banned
johnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: john
johnw's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnw Send a message via Yahoo to johnw
Quote:
yeah..and i'll believe that like the guy that did the v8 swap on his

look at the pic u posted...there's like 2" between the back of the front fender and the tire. unless the entire fender has been gutted, there's more than a slight rub. thats not mentioning the rub on the UCA since there on stockers and no spacers/new uca's
nothing has been gutted at all only rub that i experience is on the uca at full turns i dont do fulll turns. also those tires sucks but were 285/70/17 dualer revo a/t now i have the nito terra grapplers.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #10

i'm quite sure they're on there, but there's no way it's a ' little rub on turns"...there was a guy on here that put 35's on a 3" lifted 1st gen...rubbed to hell too...but he could be the guy that said he did it. the second pic u posted looks like the back of the front fender is touching the tire, the front is like 2" away, and its pointed completely straight
Old 11-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #11
Banned
johnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
johnw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i'm quite sure they're on there, but there's no way it's a ' little rub on turns"...there was a guy on here that put 35's on a 3" lifted 1st gen...rubbed to hell too...but he could be the guy that said he did it. the second pic u posted looks like the back of the front fender is touching the tire, the front is like 2" away, and its pointed completely straight
no sir the back is not touching i wish i had a straighter picture to show you but i promise you it only rubs uca's
Old 11-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
gozar's Tacoma Gallery
What is a UCA?
Old 11-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #15

Quote:
no sir the back is not touching i wish i had a straighter picture to show you but i promise you it only rubs uca's
my 285's rubbed the back of the fender til trimmed and still rub the body mount. the only reason it didnt rub the front is b/c of the AP bumper...
Old 11-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #16
Banned
johnw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
my 285's rubbed the back of the fender til trimmed and still rub the body mount. the only reason it didnt rub the front is b/c of the AP bumper...
I dont know what to tell you. i dont rub my cab mounts at all. i guess i just got a beast from the factory
Old 11-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #17

Quote:
I dont know what to tell you. i dont rub my cab mounts at all. i guess i just got a beast from the factory

yeah, thats it....my 07 DC prerunner sport and my 09 DC 4x4 sport have been exactly the same. just like urs...and everyone elses that rubs after 33's on a 3"
Old 11-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #18
gozar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh and sorry for the thread jack.
No worries... but it has gone astray, from talking tires to guys talking about rubbing. (just kidding - really no worries, it's entertaining.)
Old 11-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #19
Banned
johnw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah, thats it....my 07 DC prerunner sport and my 09 DC 4x4 sport have been exactly the same. just like urs...and everyone elses that rubs after 33's on a 3"
well you know what? obviously you dont believe so i will quit wasting my time i have no lift, i run the 285/70/17 on stock rims i got a prerunner sport i have shown you pictures obviously you still dont believe me. not much more i can say maybe my truck is different obviously it is because i got those tires with no lift. so thats all i gotta say.