Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

5 Lug Option

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Plain Jane Taco's Tacoma Gallery
5 Lug Option

You 6 luggers don't know how lucky you are when it comes to wheels. The supply of decent 5 lug rims leaves a lot to be desired. Anyway, I've been eyeing a simple, clean 5 spoke wheel for the Taco and I think I may have found one.....the Sport Edition F7.

Specs: 16x7, 50mm offset, 18.4 lbs.

The rack recommends a 235/60 tire, but I'll go with a 235/65 for a bit more height. Should put the speedo about where it needs to be as it's a tad fast with the stock 215/70/15....and would be with the 235/60/16 as well, since they're about the same height.

Just thought I'd get some opinions on the rim.

Here's a link too. http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

Old 11-22-2009, 06:18 AM   #2
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
looks good but with that much offset they will sit under the wheel well similar to stock wheels.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
jeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Active Duty
Name: Jeremie
jeremiekc's Tacoma Gallery
That looks sweet. Something that you might want to look at is XR Underground. The rims off of an X-Runner will fit yours just fine. I would offer my old ones to you but they were really ugly. I went with a set of stock X-Runner rims.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by epa4wd View Post
looks good but with that much offset they will sit under the wheel well similar to stock wheels.
Yeah, you're right. They're an inch wider than stock, so that would give me a half an inch more outward rim width...but that gain would basically be negated by the 10mm less offset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiekc View Post
That looks sweet. Something that you might want to look at is XR Underground. The rims off of an X-Runner will fit yours just fine. I would offer my old ones to you but they were really ugly. I went with a set of stock X-Runner rims.
Yes...I'd thought about the X-Runner rims...and I really like them. But I just don't know if I want to go with an 18 inch rim. There's a better selection of light truck tires in a 16 inch size.

Still not sure what I'm going to do just yet. But this F7 keeps drawing me back to it.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:42 AM   #6
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes...I'd thought about the X-Runner rims...and I really like them. But I just don't know if I want to go with an 18 inch rim. There's a better selection of light truck tires in a 16 inch size.
i agree, what about highlander wheels? They have some nice 16" and 17" wheels, I think you can go up to a 29" tire without problems.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:06 AM   #7

Quote:
i agree, what about highlander wheels? They have some nice 16" and 17" wheels, I think you can go up to a 29" tire without problems.
Yep...been scouring eBay for both Highlander and RAV4 rims (there's a really nice stock 5 spoke 16 inch RAV rim that I like). But I either don't see anything that I like or the seller has busted up the set to maximize profit. I just don't want to drop $600-$800 for 4 used rims. The F7's would cost less than $400. Still though....if I could find the right "Toyota" rim at a decent price I'd certainly consider it. My wife as 2 sets of wheels for her Sienna, one of which is a set of 17 inch 07+ Camry SE rims she said I could have. But I don't know.....
Old 11-22-2009, 07:16 AM   #8
jeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Active Duty
Name: Jeremie
jeremiekc's Tacoma Gallery
Look for rims that have a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, I didnt know this for awhile when I was looking. Just trying to help. I found some in a couple of places, Boyd Coddington has some pretty good ones but they are expensive.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:18 AM   #9

Here's the RAV4 rim that I like. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/69486...Q5fAccessories
Old 11-27-2009, 07:14 AM   #10

Another option here. My wife has 2 sets of alloy wheels for her Sienna...a 16 inch set and some 17 inch '07+ Camry SE rims. She said I could have the 17's if I wanted them. They are 7 inches wide with a 45mm offset. Right now the tire is a 225/60, but if I use them I'd move up to at least a 235/60. They have a nice "factory" look to them....but I don't know. I may try to throw them on and see what they look like.

What do you fellas think? They are, afterall, free!

Here they are.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #11

Here they are. Even if I step up to a 235/60 tire, compared to the 225/60 on them now, I'm not sure I'll get the fatter sidewall look I want. I think I'm still leaning toward a 16 inch rim with a 235/65 tire. But damn...these are free.

Opinions?

Old 11-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #12
copernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the rough

copernicus's Tacoma Gallery
better than stock, lol

Looks pretty good honestly.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #13
avidoffroad.com
McJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
McJosh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane Taco View Post
Here they are. Even if I step up to a 235/60 tire, compared to the 225/60 on them now, I'm not sure I'll get the fatter sidewall look I want. I think I'm still leaning toward a 16 inch rim with a 235/65 tire. But damn...these are free.

Opinions?

they look nice!
where'd you get that tube bumper btw?
Old 11-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #14
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
I like it, if you want a beefier look you could go with a BFGoodrich A/T 225/70/17
Old 11-27-2009, 01:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by McJosh View Post
....where'd you get that tube bumper btw?
It's an Avid bar.

Quote:
I like it, if you want a beefier look you could go with a BFGoodrich A/T 225/70/17
Yeah...but a 225/70 puts me close to 10% above the stock rolling diameter. I'm afraid that's just too much speedo inaccuracy and higher gearing for me. I'm looking at splitting that difference with a 235/60. That will give me 20mm more width and just over an inch more height than the stock 215/70/15.

But if I stick with a 16 and run a 235/65 that'd be almost a 1/2 an inch more sidewall than the 17....which is really what I'm looking for.

I still don't know.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #16

You guys think this wheel is "trucky" enough?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand <--- Info

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniW...d=true&sw=1600 <--- I don't have an extra-cab, but that's the only pic they have.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #18

No other opinions?
Old 12-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #19
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane Taco View Post

Opinions?

looks nice, like a factory option. hell if I can find a van like that I would do it too.

Products Discussed in this Thread