1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tire pressure light question??

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tacoma74, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Mar 8, 2008 at 10:03 PM
    08TurboTaco

08TurboTaco Member

Member:
    most of the replies to this are very close to being correct... The TPMS on the 05+ Tacoma DOES read actual pressure. Resetting the system is necessary anytime you change your tire pressures. When you reset the system by depressing the reset button, the TPMS ECU reads the current pressure and sets that pressure as the MEDIAN pressure, if the pressure is + or - 7.5psi after that point the light will illuminate. The pressure suggested on the door jamb is rated for stock tires, you have installed larger tires, and I assume that you are running a higher pressure. I also assume that you swapped the tire pressure sensors over to your new rims??? Try resetting the system and most likely your problems will be solved.

2. Mar 14, 2008 at 3:50 PM
    eyball

eyball Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    20 Double cab TRD Sport Voodoo Blue
    I was trying to check my tire pressure on my truck for the first time and only two of my wheels out fo 5 had the sensors on them the other three(including the spare) just had regular valve stems. I snapped the front right one since it was stuck on and they are only alluminum. I had to put the spare on and take it to the tire place to have a new valve stem installed. They took out the sensor for me. I did not even realize my truck had sensors since I never had a light come on. I guess the previous owner disabled it? The tire guy said if any of the sensors were removed from the truck the light would come on. I also though only the TRD package came with the tire pressure monitor system. Mine is only SR5 with a log of other options but no TRD although the rims are the TRD rims.

3. Jun 4, 2008 at 7:58 AM
    dave l

dave l New Member

Member:
    northeast
    Vehicle:
    08 access cab 4x4
    if you change wheels and the sensors don't fit, put them inside the spare and air it up. The light will work as it used to. I recommend wrapping the sensors in bubble wrap. Mine have been like that for about 9000 miles and have been fine.

4. Jun 4, 2008 at 8:17 AM
    eyball

eyball Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    20 Double cab TRD Sport Voodoo Blue
    My truck is a 2005 and I beleive it does not have the TP monitor system. I have since installed all new tires and no longer have any of the TPS sensors on my truck and there is no light on the dash. I do have one good sensor and one broken one if anyone wants to buy them. Cheap!!

5. Jun 4, 2008 at 8:52 AM
    Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Active Member

Member:
    Toronto, Ontario. Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4dr TRD Long Box
    XDi Cold Air Intake Pioneer F90BT Husky Floor Liner Coverking Seat covers
    If you have the same TPS sensors then you should be able to turn the key to the "ON" position and hold the reset button untill the blinking does 3 slower blinks. ( You really have to pay attention).

If you replace the TPS sensor ( my spare was missing when I bought my truck), then you have to get the code off the new sensor and have the dealer re-program the ECU.

The dealer wanted $95 to program it and they said they would need the codes from all 5 tires so there would be a charge for breaking down all the tires to read the codes on the valves.

What a bunch of BS!! So I will leave the indicator light on and ignore it.:mad:

6. Jun 6, 2008 at 7:44 AM
    CometKat

CometKat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City NV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4 Regular Cab SR5
    I have a 08 SR5 with the steel wheels. I found a set of 08 wheels on Craigslist off a TRD off-road complete with sensors. I swapped them out thinking I’d then have to make a trip to the dealership to have them re-scanned (or whatever the procedure is). But the tire pressure warning light never came on. Go figure.

7. Jun 8, 2008 at 8:12 AM
    CometKat

Member:
    Carson City NV
    Vehicle:
    Well less than 12 hours after my above post the light came on and stayed on. Of course I checked for low air pressure all around. I did the swap about 3 weeks ago and now the light decides to come on? It flashes for a minute them stays on indicating a malfunction. Murphy’s Law I guess.

8. Jun 12, 2008 at 10:29 AM
    CometKat

Member:
    Carson City NV
    Vehicle:
    I took the truck to the dealer and the mechanic used a hand held scanner and was able to pull the codes from the new sensors. The whole job was done in about ten minutes. Interestingly, the guy at the service desk had never even heard of this new scanner that they had.

Products Discussed in

To Top