1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tire pressure light question??

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tacoma74, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Feb 28, 2008 at 10:41 PM
    tacoma74

tacoma74 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5
    just lifted my 06 tacoma with 6" suspesion and 3" body lift and put 35 mickeys thompson baja claws on it. now my tire pressure light goes on for a little while and then turns off and does it over and ever again. is there any way to prevent it from going on again???

2. Feb 28, 2008 at 11:31 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    well...u can make sure all the pressures are good...and if u really want to stop it, u can have the sensors reset to accomidate (sp) the new psi that ur running

and also make sure that the spare has good pressure....if u still have one that is

3. Feb 29, 2008 at 12:18 PM
    mmatheny

mmatheny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Dickinson, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 DCSB Magnetic Gray Metallic
    BakFlip MX4
    How does the tire pressure monitoring system work?? (technical)

4. Feb 29, 2008 at 12:45 PM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    In short each tire including the spare has a pressure sensor that sends a radio signal to the truck. When any of the sensors send a result lower than a few PSI below what the truck is expecting it sets off the warning light. (low technical)

5. Feb 29, 2008 at 12:53 PM
    mmatheny

mmatheny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Dickinson, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 DCSB Magnetic Gray Metallic
    BakFlip MX4
    Are they battery powered, or RF activated?

6. Feb 29, 2008 at 1:22 PM
    Roland

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    I can't remember where I read it but I think it is battery powered with an expected 10 year life.... But I've been wrong before.

7. Feb 29, 2008 at 1:32 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    I know the TP system is different than on some other Toyota vehicles but I don't think it actually senses the real pressure in the tire but more the rotation speed. I could be wrong. HOWEVER you should have a button that allows you to reset the TP monitor which basically tells the truck that what it's currently got is the baseline and it monitors from there.

8. Feb 29, 2008 at 1:44 PM
    Roland

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    I know that on at least the 06 and up it measures actual pressure. The spare is the most likely tire to read low because no one remembers get under there to add air to it. I know it scared the heck out of me when the low pressure light came on while I was on the highway heading to work.

9. Mar 2, 2008 at 8:27 PM
    tacoma74

tacoma74 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5
    jhodge83 how do i reset the sensor? do i have to get the ecu tuned for that?

10. Mar 2, 2008 at 8:29 PM
    tacoma74

tacoma74 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5
    thanks 4 da info everybody....

11. Mar 2, 2008 at 8:37 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    you may actually have to have the dealer reset it for you. pushing the button under the dash usually works, but with the way your light comes/goes, im not really sure.

12. Mar 3, 2008 at 2:30 PM
    Dutch

Dutch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco
    I had the same problem with mine. The TPMS seems like a good idea for the person that rarely checks or cannot properly check their own tire pressure. I disconnected mine after the tires and lift. The TPMS ecu is behind the dash and requires a lot of work to get to it. You can just unplug it, but then you still have to override the indicator lamp. Nothing too hard and no special tools required.

13. Mar 3, 2008 at 2:34 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    new rims?

14. Mar 3, 2008 at 2:38 PM
    Roland

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    There are instructions on how to set it in the owners manual. I don't remember the exact steps and don't want to steer you wrong by guessing.... I also don't want to walk out to my truck to look it up. :D

15. Mar 3, 2008 at 2:51 PM
    evile

evile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 DoubleCab TRD OffRoad PreRunner
    Bug shield vent visors Westin Chrome bull bar K&N Airfilter Pioneer CD/MP3/Ipod/DVD head unit KC Daylighters, LED map and dome lights, secondary airfilter removed. Black tube steps, 110v outlet in cab
    you have to set the tire pressures to what ever the door sticker says any thing else will cause the light to come on.

to reset the light it usually involves using a special tool that the dealer will have. certain type of sensors are mounted inside the tire called rim mounted these take a special tool to train, others are valve stem type these take a round magnet to train

trust me on this guy im a professional :)

16. Mar 3, 2008 at 3:14 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    my door said 29psi in all 5 for mine...but my 4 mains are running 35psi and my spare is still at 29psi and stock...

17. Mar 3, 2008 at 3:50 PM
    Roland

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    OK Here it is from the 2006 tacoma owners manual.

To initialize the system perform the following:

1. Park the vehicle at a safe place and apply the parking brake. Stop the engine.

2. Adjust the pressure of all the installed tires (including the spare) to the specified level.

3. Turn the ignition key to "ON".

4. Push and hold the reset switch until the low tire pressure warning light blinks three times.

There is a notice as follows:

Do not push the reset switch without adjusting the tire inflation to the specified level. Otherwise, the low pressure warning light may not come on even if the tire pressure is low, or it may come on when the tire inflation pressure is actually normal.

The TPWS sets whatever pressure the five individual sensors are reading when you reset the system as correct. If you reset the system and you only have 20 PSI in one of your tires the truck will consider that to be correct and not display a low pressure warning until the tire would be almost flat. Also if you have a pressure of 45 PSI in a tire the system would end up displaying a low pressure warning when that tire would get down to about 35ish PSI. Yes I'm using extremes for my examples.

18. Mar 3, 2008 at 4:00 PM
    evile

evile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 DoubleCab TRD OffRoad PreRunner
    Bug shield vent visors Westin Chrome bull bar K&N Airfilter Pioneer CD/MP3/Ipod/DVD head unit KC Daylighters, LED map and dome lights, secondary airfilter removed. Black tube steps, 110v outlet in cab
    then your light is probably on i think its +/- 3psi

19. Mar 3, 2008 at 4:05 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    nah...my light hasnt been on at all. and when the dealer installed the new rubber, they didnt recalibrate them.

20. Mar 4, 2008 at 9:16 AM
    SteelCity

SteelCity Wherever I May Roam

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Radiant Rd DC LB PreRunner SR5 V6
    Optima Red/Stinger Terms, DT Headers, Empire O2 sim, Bluetooth, USASpec PA12TOY, Redline Struts, Extang Tonneu, OEM Bed Mat/front Skid/Roof Rack, Grillcraft Grille, Susp TSB, Toytec 1/2" front spacers, Raammat/Ensolite, Sony GTs, Curt Hitch, Tranny cooler, Wet Okoles, AFE Pro-Dry Drop in, Muth Sig Mirrors, Temp/Comp RVM, Silverstar HLs/Fogs, Royal Purple Diff/PS Fluid, Detroit Truetrac LSD, Hellwig rear sway bar, SG II, Filter Mag, 265/75/16 Nitto TGs
    There is a thread on either TN or Custom Tacos to disable / bypass the whole system. I tried to pull up TN, but the site is down right now. Access to bypass it is done by removing the glove box to get to the harness. The guy who did the mod also made it so it can be reversed if needed. I haven't had any issues with mine yet, but if I do I'm going to disable it.

Products Discussed in

To Top