1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire question, I'm clueless about tires...

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by timmaayyy, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Dec 4, 2009 at 9:22 AM
    timmaayyy

timmaayyy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DC
  2. Dec 4, 2009 at 9:24 AM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    Only uni directional tires need to be mounted one way. These are a general tread and should be able to be mounted either way... but Im no expert. I would call a tire shop.

3. Dec 4, 2009 at 1:25 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    as long as the tires dont have an arrow on them telling u the direction u can mount them either way.and i dont no of any lt tires that r directional.

4. Dec 4, 2009 at 1:33 PM
    NYProud

NYProud Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chief
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma Ext Cab SR5 4x4 TRD
    CATZ Hyper White Fog Lamps in Front Bumper, LowRider Hard Shell Bed Cover
    Absoluterly correct - unless tires are uni-directional, like high-speed sports car tires, you can mount them black side out. The Tire Rack link (Bridgestone Dueler tires) you provided will mount either way. Go for it!

5. Dec 4, 2009 at 3:43 PM
    timmaayyy

timmaayyy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DC
    thanks for the replies everyone, i pulled the trigger and bought the tires.

now i need your opinions....my situation is that i currently have the 16" stock gulf states alloys and tires on. i recenlty purchaced a set of 17" stock alloys from another member here and so now i need the new tires mounted on the new rims and my TPMS sensors removed from the old wheels and installed on the new wheels.

i went to one of my toyota dealerships and they told me it would be close to $300 to do all this, which seems a bit steep to me. what do you guys think i should look to pay for the above work? can any tire shop do this? what worries me is a generic tire shop screwing up the TPMS sensors. thanks again.

edit: i asked the guy at the dealership how long it would take and he said about 2 hours. what i need done is all labor, so that's $150/hr. is that normal?

6. Dec 5, 2009 at 5:33 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Take it to a tire shop, most all of them can deal with TPMS now since they have to deal with them regularly. They should only charge you a mount/dismount fee, which around here is like $10-12 a tire. If you plan on selling the old rims/tires just have them dismount, remove the sensors and not remount the tires and that will save you some $ depending on how they figure their charges. $300 is outrageous, definately check out a local major chain tire shop. It shouldn't take 2 hours either to dismount 4 tires and mount 4 tires, more like 30-45 mins if that.

Products Discussed in

To Top