Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

TPMS - effects anything else

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2009, 08:26 AM   #1
Bizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to behold
Bizarroterl's Tacoma Gallery
TPMS - effects anything else

I replaced my steelies with some aluminum wheels. No TPMS sensors were installed. Now my TPMS light is lit.

Does this affect anything else in the truck? Traction control?

I'm not concerned about the light (I can fix that) and I'm not going to spend >$200 on new sensors.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
It's just the light that it triggers. No worries elsewhere.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
THE TECHNICIAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TECHNICIAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TECHNICIAN is a jewel in the rough
THE TECHNICIAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
It's just the light that it triggers. No worries elsewhere.
What he said.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
Bizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to beholdBizarroterl is a splendid one to behold
I did do a search and there's a lot of stuff about how to disable the light and complaints. I wasn't able to find anything about if/how it could effect other systems though.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
About this subject,
I went to get my smog done here in California, and the mechanic said: if the TPMS aren't there it won't pass smog.
I have no idea how accurate the guy was, or how much sheet he eat.
Take care
vbibi
Old 12-11-2009, 02:58 AM   #7
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarroterl View Post
I replaced my steelies with some aluminum wheels. No TPMS sensors were installed. Now my TPMS light is lit.

Does this affect anything else in the truck? Traction control?

I'm not concerned about the light (I can fix that) and I'm not going to spend >$200 on new sensors.
Do you still have the sensors? You know you can use the ones from the steel wheels on aluminum wheels, right?
Old 12-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
jeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Active Duty
Name: Jeremie
jeremiekc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbibi View Post
About this subject,
I went to get my smog done here in California, and the mechanic said: if the TPMS aren't there it won't pass smog.
Take care
vbibi
Some one spent a little to long smoking the crack pipe. The TPMS system has absolutely nothing to do with any other system.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiekc View Post
Some one spent a little to long smoking the crack pipe. The TPMS system has absolutely nothing to do with any other system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbibi
About this subject,
Take care
vbibi
They do check saftey stuff at the same time I think.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxySandChick View Post
Do you still have the sensors? You know you can use the ones from the steel wheels on aluminum wheels, right?
From what I've read they're not compatible. The steelies are 20deg and aluminum wheels are 40deg. The 20s won't fit on aluminum wheels. I suppose there are exceptions.

Either way, it doesn't matter. The original wheels are sold and long gone.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:35 AM   #12
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
The effects of the removal of the TPMS will only affect yourself with the annoyance of the dashlight being lit everytime you drive.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:23 AM   #13
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarroterl View Post
From what I've read they're not compatible. The steelies are 20deg and aluminum wheels are 40deg. The 20s won't fit on aluminum wheels. I suppose there are exceptions.

Either way, it doesn't matter. The original wheels are sold and long gone.
Yes they are different, but they still work. I've had mine from the steels on alloys for over a year now with no problems and so have many others.

But now you know.