Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 Mileage?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
Mellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud of

Mellow's Tacoma Gallery
Question Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 Mileage?

Okay,

Just curious, what's the most miles anyone has gotten out of the stock set of tires?

I'm thinking there are very few that even keep them on the truck but I'd kinda like to use them up before I switch them out.

I don't have any problems with the oem tires at the moment but I've got less than 1k on them and I'm still babying the truck so time will tell.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I put on 25K miles before I replaced them. I kept them because they still have over 60% tread left. I will be putting them back on my truck before I trade it in. That way I can keep my relatively new Destination A/Ts.

Unfortunately the Dunflops stink!
Old 03-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
Bill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the rough

Bill in Ky's Tacoma Gallery
I got 34 miles out of mine. Also got $40 each, trade in on my Toyo's.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
I have 42,200 miles. They need replacing bad...
Old 03-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Big Guns is on a distinguished road
Big Guns's Tacoma Gallery
im at about 15000 miles and i wish they would just die already. I hate them, but i dont want to just get rid of a newish tire.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
I have about 42,000KM on mine...no problems yet. I don't get why everybody hates these tires, what's wrong with them?
Old 03-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
Mellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud of

Mellow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdawg25 View Post
I have about 42,000KM on mine...no problems yet. I don't get why everybody hates these tires, what's wrong with them?
I think the issue is mostly that they are not very aggressive looking. At least that's my take on it.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #8
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
I think the issue is mostly that they are not very aggressive looking. At least that's my take on it.
So the looks make them shitty tires?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #9

Mellow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So the looks make them shitty tires?
Well, that's all it takes for some.. just need a reason to justify bigger better tires.

Mine appear fine, but they are still pretty new. They don't make noise and they seem to handle well in the rain. I guess if you are 4-wheeling they probably suck but for commuting I think they're fine.

I would like some different wheels but I may end up just painting the steelies black. I do like the look of the more aggressive tires.. but it's hard for me to justify the cost when my stock tires are just fine.

It's none of my business what or why someone changes their tires. I was just curious what kind of mileage the OEMs were getting.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
A little better than 33,000 miles, there is still a little left but they're off the truck.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #11
I some times have to take a dirt road to get home, or if it rains the roads turn into dirt roads lol, and the traction on the tires is horrible. Any small amount of dirt or gravel and im sideways. I also do get nervous in the rain, as i have had them hydro a few times for me on the highway [scared the s*** out of me]. I guess for a commuter they are fine, but i need a little bit of bite from my tires. Plus, i like to wheel and they will just not do.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:19 PM   #12
Zoom-Zoom

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
I've driven many times in less than desirable conditions i.e. snow, rain, mud, bla bla etc. and I have had no problems. Maybe you should ease off the gas a bit?
Old 03-07-2008, 04:55 AM   #13
Mudbug is on a distinguished road

Mudbug's Tacoma Gallery
They suck in the mud....they were good in rain when new after about 15-20k they started to suck in the rain though. I put 28k on them before I replaced them with michelin ltx at2's. They still had a little tread left but I just hated them.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:19 AM   #14
Old Goat
Don G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st MAW  MAG12  VMA-251,  (1953)
Don G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
Okay,

Just curious, what's the most miles anyone has gotten out of the stock set of tires?

I'm thinking there are very few that even keep them on the truck but I'd kinda like to use them up before I switch them out.

I don't have any problems with the oem tires at the moment but I've got less than 1k on them and I'm still babying the truck so time will tell.

Thanks!
I have had no problems yet but I don't do any off road or rock crawling so I don't expect any just driving to the hospital for appointments and Lowe's. My Dealer gives "Tires For Life" so I'm pretty well covered

Don G
Old 03-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #15
Quote:
I've driven many times in less than desirable conditions i.e. snow, rain, mud, bla bla etc. and I have had no problems. Maybe you should ease off the gas a bit?
Okay, i may have some what of a lead foot, but when taking a turn at 10mph and i hit some gravel, im up on the shoulder. The tires do not suit my needs nor do they suit my driving style. I hate these tires, and it seems that i am not alone.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #16
hammerdog is on a distinguished road
hammerdog's Tacoma Gallery
They have very low user ratings for all season tires on tirerack.com, but i don't have any complaints with them.....
Old 03-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #17
Dave Russell is on a distinguished road
Dave Russell's Tacoma Gallery
When I first got my 07 4X4 access I went to get some higher perf. tires and the tire shop dude at Jacks Tire in Port Alberni ( a very honest/reliable guy) said the dunlops were NFG for a trade in due to the low rating. The only vehicle they are rated for is a 1/2 ton with 16" wheels....no ford, chev, or dogey. His advice- wear 'em out. I figured that would happen soon enough but they have 10,000 km and are as good as new.
I went out and got some 20" wheels (no tires yet) for summer and when the stockers wear out I'll get some more bionic tires for the 16" rims to run in the winter. Meanwhile - back at the ranch... the dunlops ran pretty good this winter- lots of snow and ice and of course monsoon strength rain(Vancouver Island should really be under water sometimes) So-where was I ,oh yeah,unless you are the 4WD or mud or ski-hill type the dunlops should be good for however long they live.... just not cool!