1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Firestone Destination A/T's vs General Grabber HTS

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by xwhaler, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Dec 15, 2009 at 9:45 AM
    xwhaler

xwhaler [OP] New Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    08 4cyl 4x4
    Hi Guys,
    Looking for some opinions. I have narrowed it down to these two tires I think....2 diff shops in my area OTD price are nearly identical...$512 on the Firestones and $524 on the Generals
    I live in NH but am up in Maine a lot during the winter skiing....200+" of snow in a normal season and a lot of moose up on the back roads where I go skiing so braking and handling in the snow is important.
    90% of my driving is highway with the rest being pulling my boat, driving in the snow on paved/unpaved roads.

Don't want to sacrifice too much mpg by getting the more aggressive A/T tread but also want to make sure we stay safe.
    I'd get the Firestones but also am hung up on the white letters...i prefer blackwall as my truck is silver but unsure if it really makes a difference....I consider my truck a form of transportation moreso than a showpiece really so am more concered with value/quality than looks I guess.

Any opinions on these? Or others in this price range I should consider?
    Any idea of mpg loss would be negligable on the A/T's?

2. Dec 15, 2009 at 12:26 PM
    usctacoma

usctacoma Be a thinker, not a stinker

Member:
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 Doublecab
    Tint, Black Badges, Firestone Destination 265-70-17s, Weathertech Floor Liners, Sockmonkey decals, Flowmaster 40, Defiant light bar, 4 5" PIAA 540s, BHLM, 5100s @ .85, eibach springs, 1/4" Toytec spacer, 2" Toytec AAL, painted grill, UWS tool box
    I have the Destination ATs too and I have a silver truck. I made sure they put the blackwalls on the outside and they look good. Gimmie a minute and I'll put a pic up

3. Dec 15, 2009 at 12:29 PM
    usctacoma

Member:
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Tint, Black Badges, Firestone Destination 265-70-17s, Weathertech Floor Liners, Sockmonkey decals, Flowmaster 40, Defiant light bar, 4 5" PIAA 540s, BHLM, 5100s @ .85, eibach springs, 1/4" Toytec spacer, 2" Toytec AAL, painted grill, UWS tool box
  4. Dec 15, 2009 at 12:31 PM
    xwhaler

xwhaler [OP] New Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    08 4cyl 4x4
    Hey Thanks a lot guys!
    Very helpful.....it does make sense for where I live to get the A/T vs a highway tire I agree.
    I'm going to the shop after work today to order these...install tomorrow.

USC Tacoma...sweet truck man

5. Dec 15, 2009 at 12:37 PM
    usctacoma

Member:
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man. You'll like the Destinations. I've been going back and forth between home a college a lot so that means a lot of highway miles and they are holding up great on the tread. They also do their job pretty darn good when I happen to venture off the road. Good choice.:thumbsup:

6. Dec 15, 2009 at 12:43 PM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Your call, H/T more towards hwy, A/T off-road. Probably not alot of mpg difference, but slight edge to the H/T. Generally longer treadwear too. But for snow, if hard packed probably close, but deeper/loose stuff def A/T takes it.

A few guys on the site have the Firestone A/T, generally all good reviews.

I almost went w/ Grabber HTS (top rated H/T) myself, but saved a bunch going w/ another well rated H/T, Kumho KPL51. Since I run Blizzaks on seperate rims for winter:thumbsup:, snow performance didnt matter much.

Products Discussed in

To Top