1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with tires and wheels (my eyes are bugging out!)

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Jay-Hawks, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Dec 15, 2009 at 2:51 PM
    Jay-Hawks

Jay-Hawks [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Galveston
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD 4X2
    Tube Step, Leather interior, XM, Bed Extender, Tinted Windows, Dynolock
    I promise I honestly have been reading the forums to try and better understand what I can but to be honest I think I may be more confused now then I was before I started reading. All of the tire sizes, backspacing and spacers have my head spinning. Thus far I have determined this:

• I probably want to stay away from the 285's to help avoid rubbing.
    • I really don't want to get into cutting and welding of any mounts.
    • I could trim a little underneath but I would really rather not.
    I plan to buy the Moto Metal 951's (haven't decided between the chrome and the black) and I would rather have the 17X10 but I would think that I have a better chance or rubbing with those than I do with the 17X9, is that true? My tire choice will probably be between the Firestone Destination M/T, BF Goodrich M/T KM2 and the Goodyear DuraTrac's. My thought was to go with a tire size of 275/70 17.

My truck is currently a stock (tires, wheels and suspension) 2009 TRD Offroad Prerunner DC. I have purchased a lift kit from Toytec (still in the box in my garage), the OEM 3" lift with an AAL for the back except for I got the 5100's instead of the OEM shocks. In addition to the lift kit I also purchased the light racing UCA's. I am most concerned about ride quality and appearance as I never really go off-roading.

Anyone who is running the Moto Metal 951's, what tire size and make are you running and are you having any rubbing issues? Would I have problems running the Moto's with 275/70 17's? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Dec 15, 2009 at 3:40 PM
    texasbowhunter

texasbowhunter Third Coast

Member:
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab 4x4 TRD
    Tinted Windows, Moto Metal 955's, Cooper 305/70/16 STT's, Deckplate Mod.,AFE Pro Dry, Toytec Coilovers, 2" AAL, Diff. Drop, Bilstein 5100's On the Corners, Alpine 10" Sub, Alpine 305 Head, Polk Mids
    This is my set up. Moto Metal 16"x8", 305/70/16 Cooper STT's, 3" ToyTec Ultimate Kit. I don't know if this helps you at all but at least it's a response.
    [​IMG]

3. Dec 15, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I am running the same setup as you are, suspension wise with 5100's all around, OME 885's, and 2" rear AAL's. I am running 285/65/18"s though for wheels and tires. Only minor trimming is involved, not to much of a big deal at all. I still have to trim a little bit more cause I still scrap sometimes on full-tilt.:cool:

4. Dec 16, 2009 at 6:04 AM
    Jay-Hawks

Member:
    Galveston
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD 4X2
    What tires are you running? When you say a little trimming what exactly are you saying? Did you have to remove the mud flaps?

Thanks for replying! :D

5. Dec 16, 2009 at 6:25 AM
    Jay-Hawks

Member:
    Galveston
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD 4X2
    Just went and looked at your pics, very nice truck!

I see you are running the Nitto Dune Grappler's, how do you like those? I have always like the looks of those tires.

6. Dec 16, 2009 at 10:49 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Thanks for the compliment!!!

I really like the NDG's!! Havent had any issues yet!!:D But for the other questions, yes they took the front mud guards off and just minor trimming on the bottom front fender.

7. Dec 16, 2009 at 4:06 PM
    Drock42

Drock42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport 4x4
    Toytec Coilovers, LR UCAs, OME Dakar leafpacks w/5100s, 18" 951s, 285/60 TGs (6ply), Grillcraft MX upper & lower, Wet Okole seat covers, Rec-rac bike racks
    I was in the same boat at first too man. If it wasn't for TW I would have been lost. I'm running a 285/60/18 on a 951 w/4.53 bs -12 offset. You might want to make sure the 275 will fit the width of the rim. You may be able to get away with the 9" width, but I'm not sure about the 10".

My opinion would be to go wider on the tire, not the rim. You can run 285s and not have any rubbing. You just gotta watch the sidewall height. Also, if you don't wheel very much, try to stick to a 6 ply tire. The ride will be smoother and your gas mileage won't suffer as much. You'll be glad you did. I know I am.

Products Discussed in

To Top