Notices

Tire Pressure Sensors!

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2007, 07:46 AM   #1
SC Member
sdupp is on a distinguished road
sdupp's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Pressure Sensors!

I've reed several post regarding Tire Pressure Sensors. There seems to be a difference between the TRD wheels vs Steel wheels. I've read one sensor is 20 degrees and the other is 40. I was wondering has anyone actually tried taking them out of the steel wheels & putting them in the TRD Alloy wheels? One would think they might fit one way or the other. My luck you can move them from the TRD wheels to the Steel..

Thanks,, Stan
Old 01-27-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
small town girl
Skies20 is on a distinguished road

Skies20's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, I asked this question some time ago, but no one had any answers. If anyone has had any experience with this, please respond.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:31 AM   #3
small town girl

Skies20's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I ended up finding out about this on my own. I bought a set of TRD rims along w/ some different tires, and it turns out Toyota will need to put new sensors in each rim, as the old ones will not fit. If they don't put in the new sensors, the TPM light will stay on constantly. The sensors themselves cost about $104 each! Hope this helps!
Old 02-11-2007, 08:13 AM   #4
SC Member
sdupp is on a distinguished road
sdupp's Tacoma Gallery
Out of curiosity did you actually try this yourself or Did Toyota tell you it would Not work?
Old 02-11-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
small town girl

Skies20's Tacoma Gallery
I brought the wheels to Toyota to have them put on, and they discovered it. They said they tried to fit the old sensors in the new wheels, but they would not fit.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
it's all about me
Ldytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to behold

Ldytaco05's Tacoma Gallery
do these tire sensors really work out to your benefit? i know the 2005 models did not have these. do you have to go to the dealer everytime your tire needs to be replaced because of these sensors? quite costly don't you think?
Old 02-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
small town girl

Skies20's Tacoma Gallery
No, it's not every time you change your tire, but if you change the rims you have on your truck. The tire pressure sensors are in the rims. It is costly, but most people aren't chaning their rims all the time. I guess the sensors could be a good thing, but I've never had a vehicle that has them.. and I've always been able to tell if I had a low/flat tire without some flashing light having to come on to tell me.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:46 AM   #8
ducatista is on a distinguished road
Marines: SNAKE DRIVER
Name: CAPTAIN CRAZY
Location: DALLAS TX & CLARKSDALE, MISSISSIPPI "THE CROSSROADS"
ducatista's Tacoma Gallery
Listerines,

Two different angles. But the alloy wheels all have the same angle.
So... you can swap between FJ or Tundra OEMs and all TRD wheels.
Also if you have a second set of wheels/tires you can use a second
set of TPM units also. You must reset the code each time however.
I got my second set of FREE, check your tire store or bodyshop ! !

OWAF

Andy
Old 03-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #9
Once a gorilla always a gorilla
Gorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Thomas
Gorilla_97's Tacoma Gallery
Andy - just to clarify...if I go from steel to alloy (FJ or TRD) I will need new sensors or move them from my steelies to the new rims? Just want to make sure before I spend any $$ to upgrade rims! Thanks.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:16 AM   #10
ducatista is on a distinguished road
Marines: SNAKE DRIVER
Name: CAPTAIN CRAZY
Location: DALLAS TX & CLARKSDALE, MISSISSIPPI "THE CROSSROADS"
ducatista's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla_97 View Post
Andy - just to clarify...if I go from steel to alloy (FJ or TRD) I will need new sensors or move them from my steelies to the new rims? Just want to make sure before I spend any $$ to upgrade rims! Thanks.
Yes, that's my experience. You can however just not use them at all.
Some say TPMS light goes off after a while, others say it is on all the
time. No idea either way about that. I went from Sport Aluminum rims
to TRD (BBS) Aluminum wheels. Same angle, same sensor. I've been
told by many others that the steelies are a different angle sensor.
Can't say on that one way or another, just heresay heard here and TN.

I hope this helps Gorilla_97

OWAF

Andy
Old 03-14-2007, 10:52 AM   #11
small town girl

Skies20's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, that is correct. I went from the steel wheels to alloys and had to get new sensors. If you do not put the sensors in, your TPM light will be on constantly. Something to consider before buying new rims.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:33 AM   #12
Gorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skies20 View Post
Yes, that is correct. I went from the steel wheels to alloys and had to get new sensors. If you do not put the sensors in, your TPM light will be on constantly. Something to consider before buying new rims.
so you could not use the steel rim sensors in the alloys? that will make a big difference to me if I want to buy new rims or not, thanks!
Old 03-14-2007, 01:20 PM   #13
small town girl

Skies20's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so you could not use the steel rim sensors in the alloys? that will make a big difference to me if I want to buy new rims or not, thanks!
No, the sensors from my old wheels would not fit. The new rims & tires I bought look much better, but it ended up being quite a costly ordeal after everything. I was glad that I at least got a good deal on the rims & tires (from E-bay), so that offset the additional cost somewhat..
Hope this helps!
Old 03-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #14

Thank-you! This is what I needed to know. I did not want to spend the extra $$ on sensors if I could not swap them off my steelies. I may just have to live with the warning light on or find a way to bypass the light altogether.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skies20 View Post
No, the sensors from my old wheels would not fit. The new rims & tires I bought look much better, but it ended up being quite a costly ordeal after everything. I was glad that I at least got a good deal on the rims & tires (from E-bay), so that offset the additional cost somewhat..
Hope this helps!
Old 03-14-2007, 06:11 PM   #15
small town girl

Skies20's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank-you! This is what I needed to know. I did not want to spend the extra $$ on sensors if I could not swap them off my steelies. I may just have to live with the warning light on or find a way to bypass the light altogether.

Thanks!
You are quite welcome. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:42 PM   #16

well it's apparent that going from Tacoma steel rims to the TRD alloys will require new sensors, but I'm looking at the FJ alloys so I may have to just take the wheels & tires to a shop and have them try to make the swap....
Old 03-22-2007, 08:32 AM   #17
Dust Devil is on a distinguished road
Dust Devil's Tacoma Gallery
I am also having this issue, the shop that put my wheels on forgot to install the sensors.

Is there any way to disable the light on the dash??
Old 03-22-2007, 10:32 AM   #18
SPOWERS07 is on a distinguished road

SPOWERS07's Tacoma Gallery
thats the million dollar question i wish i knew it!
Old 03-22-2007, 11:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOWERS07 View Post
thats the million dollar question i wish i knew it!
I'll try to summarize what I know so far.

The only way to disable the light is to either:

A) clip the factory wiring so the light will not come on (search the Tundra forum at tundrasolutions.com for more info)

B) put your old sensors in a pressurized air-tight container such as a PVC pipe or wheelbarrow tire and keep it in the truck

C) buy the sensors for the alloy/aluminum wheels and see if they fit the rims you want to buy.

D) put a piece of black tape over the dashboard light

I was able to get 4 of the alloy sensors from my B-I-L Toyota mechanic for $25 each, usually they are over $100 each. From what I've found so far, any sensor from a Toyota alloy rim will fit another Toyota alloy rim (FJ, TRD, etc). However, the steel sensors will only fit the steel wheels.

The steel sensors are at a 40 degree angle and will not allow the valve stem to properly seat in the alloy rims. The alloy sensors are 20 degrees and should be able to swap between any other Toyota alloy rims. In certain cases the steel sensors will fit in other aftermarket rims, but you'll have to do a fit test to know for sure.

Hope that sums it up. I've been dealing with the issue for the past two weeks because I want to put FJ rims on my 07 Taco which came with the steel rims. I finally had to pony up and just buy the alloy sensors to make it all work properly. I'm 99% certain the alloy sensors will fit the FJ rims, but I won't know 100% until I get the sensors and test fit them into the FJ rims.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:48 AM   #20
Splangy is on a distinguished road
Splangy's Tacoma Gallery
If I replace my steel wheels with a set of TRD wheels with new sensors, will I have to have the system reprogrammed by Toyota or just reset the system myself? I'd like to keep the steel wheels for the winter and switch back to the alloys every spring.