1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's your opinion on the BFG Rugged Trail T/A tires?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by madisonsfinest, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Dec 29, 2009 at 11:08 AM
    jcayce

jcayce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
    THESE would be my recommendation as well after doing serious research. I purchased the BFG ATs though based on design and use. For an on-road truck, there does not seem to be much of a better tire other than the Michelins.

2. Dec 29, 2009 at 12:21 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    i understand what your saying.but my previous encounter with these tires r awful.and yes we dont no all that went on with the(op wreck in the other thread)but i no what these tires r like in the wet and snowy conditions.i no i will never buy or reccomend them to anyone.

3. Feb 15, 2010 at 8:33 PM
    SoCaliSnowboarder77

SoCaliSnowboarder77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valencia, Ca
    Vehicle:
    09 GSXR 600 & Snowboarders Hauler
    4x4 OFF-ROAD... that is all I need...
    Glad I searched for this. All the info and opinions in here helped a lot. I think I will get some A/Ts when I upgrade. The Rugged Trails do decent on snow considering I've driven through 12 inches of snow at Mammoth w/o any problem in 4Lo. Only issue I have is hydroplaning or fish tailing during heavy rain, but don't all trucks do that since the weight distribution is like 80/20? I had to drive at 50mph on the 118 fwy behind a 18 wheeler to avoid hydroplaning.

4. Feb 16, 2010 at 1:03 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    What the heck are you guys doing that you are sliding around so much? It rains just about every other day here, and my truck's rear remains firmly planted unless I want to play. Just curious, really.

5. Feb 16, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    SoCaliSnowboarder77

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valencia, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I usually drive 80mph - 90mph on the 118 fwy. My Coma is wayyy smooth at that speed. That is the flow of traffic on the 118 fwy. (rain or shine). :cool:
    At speeds over 50mph, my Coma slides a bit in the rear. At 80mph, it's almost a death wish.

6. Feb 16, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Alright. We have 55-65 speed limits, but the flow of traffic can be 50-120 depending on who you ask :rolleyes: I haven't noticed anything on stock tires up to 75 so far, and my lane changes are controlled. Maybe you gotta quit yer swervin' :p

7. Feb 16, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    How about the Toyo AT's? I've heard good things. :confused:

8. Feb 16, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    SoCaliSnowboarder77

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valencia, Ca
    Vehicle:
    you drive 75mph on heavy rain? go 90mph on heavy rain and tell me how it goes. :p

9. Feb 16, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Toyo makes fantastic tires. Pricey, but worth it. My next set is some open country ATs most likely...potentially MTs...

10. Feb 17, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Rarely, I don't have a need to. I'll still get there, and might lose a whole 5 minutes.

Northwesterners generally know how to handle rain, similar to guys from the middle states driving in snow. The fastest I drive is 35 in snow, and I feel like "look at me, I'm actually driving in a straight line!" I felt pretty good about that until I rode with a coworker from Minnesota who did 70 in a straight stretch and cornered at 30 :eek:

At that speed in rain, I don't have the back end get all squirmy or anything. The worst is when you hit the ruts that are filled with puddles and it drags on your one side so you have to correct your steering, but on those roads I'm at 55-60.

Nowhere here to really do that, and I like my perfect driving record, thanks :D
    Not sure I've ever gone that speed in rain, so you have a leg up on me there.

11. Feb 17, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    I cant wait to take my Rugged Fails off. They are nearly new and they are slick in the mud, the snow, the rain, and the ice. I cant imagine how they are as bad as they are, but they are. I will be biting the bullet and laying out some serious $$ for DuraTracs. Cant wait.

One thing to note is that I have heard that you can get different types of Rugged Fails. The ones that are OEM often have a harder rubber so you can get more life out of them. The one you buy from a tire shop are a different compound. This may or may not be true but it might be the reason some have good luck with them and most dont. Mine were off of a new Nissan, so I got the OEM ones.

Products Discussed in

To Top