1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Black Steelies

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by nd, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Mar 18, 2008 at 10:00 AM
    nd

nd [OP] Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Hey guys, i just got new tires drom Discount Tire yesterday (that place rocks) and i am having a guy look into some black steelies for me that i saw in the show room. they didnt have the ones for the taco in stock so the guys gonna look into it today and give me a call. i expressed my concerns over the factory being hubcentric and the aftermarket rims are almost all lug centric and said i hoped there wouldnt be any vibration or balancing issues. he assured me that using a spacer for the wheels would make everything work fine. doesn anyone have any issues with aftermarket steelies? any thoughts or suggestions? What about the TPMS, any issues transfering those sensors? i appreciate any feedback you guys can give me

2. Mar 18, 2008 at 12:35 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    I'm running a 1/4" spacer (front only) with my steelies (lug centric). No problems here. I do keep a closer watch on the lug nuts to keep them torqued properly. Can't help you with the TPMS though.

3. Mar 18, 2008 at 12:38 PM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    My only question is why would you go from a nice set of OEM alloys to steelies?

4. Mar 18, 2008 at 12:44 PM
    Toy4Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    The steelies have a rugged good look to them at a very affordable price. In my case, it was also a way to acquire larger tires at a cheaper price. I spent less than $150 per tire for 33/10.5/15 BFG's while the metric equivalent for the stock wheels were closer to $200. Plus, my stock wheels have 120k miles and it shows.

5. Mar 18, 2008 at 1:29 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    wheelersoffroad.com has black steelies on there too...might wanna check against prices....but as far as i have heard, the tpms wont transfer from alloy's to steelies. u might be able to find someone selling their tpms from the stock steelies that moved to aftermarket rims. mine actually worked today when i woke up to go get the sliders installed and my light was on b/c i got a screw stuck in one of my new mud terrains and i was down to 15psi

6. Mar 19, 2008 at 7:51 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Like Toy said, i like the rugged look. I'm a big believer of "less is more" especially on trucks. i like simple subtle accessories.

yep, i like the look and they are a little wider than stock so i can get bigger tires later on down the road.

These are less expensive than anything i have found online. the guy i talked to at the wheel shop said that the TPMS would transfer fine but i would have to get new fittings for each sensor for about 8 bucks a pop. he said the sensors transfer without damage but its hard to take them out and install them without damaging the fittings. So i guess we'll see. i'll make sure i can bring them back with no problem before i actually get them.

7. Mar 19, 2008 at 3:00 PM
    Toy4Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    I wanted the ones from Wheelersoffroad, but the cost of shipping ripped em outta my bare minimum budget.

8. Mar 19, 2008 at 3:52 PM
    TacoMon

TacoMon Northern Alliance Gynecologist

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SB TRD Sport Indigo Ink Pearl
    TRD stickers removed, oem running boards, ipod2car, Combi-cam locks for bed storage doors, Covermaster E-300 tonneau cover
    I'm glad you brought this up as I am thinking of buying a set of steel wheels and some much more agressive tires for use in the winter months. I will keep the factory mags and the shitty Bridgestones for summer use.

9. Mar 19, 2008 at 4:41 PM
    Charli

Charli Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport V6 Access Ca
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    Maybe tire guys have found a way around it, but awhile back I read that TPMS sensors won't transfer from alloy to steelies, and you'd have to buy new ones or live with the annoying light. I looked into steelies as well, but from what I read the sensors wouldn't transfer because of the shape (I'm not sure of the exact cost any more, but they ain't cheap). I hope it works for you jhodge--if it does it would give me more options since I prefer steel anyway.

10. Mar 19, 2008 at 4:55 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    thanks for thinking of me sweetheart....:wink:...but its nd thats thinking of changing rims...i love my painted stock 17's

11. Mar 20, 2008 at 12:08 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    The guy at the rim shop said that changing out was no problem. i called today to confirm when my wheels will arive. Last time i was there he even showed me a detailed diagram of how the tpms sensors are put together. since he does this for a living i tend to believe him, but i have heard from other people say they dont fit in steelies so i'm not sure. My wheels will be in next week and he's gonna call me to come up and test them out. i made it clear that if the tpms didnt work, or if the hubcentric/lugcentric thing was a problem that i didnt want them and would not pay any restockign fees and he said that was cool. so i'll go up there and check it out. hopefully i will hve new wheels by next friday though :)

12. Mar 20, 2008 at 2:13 PM
    Charli

Charli Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport V6 Access Ca
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    Oops! Sorry jhodge--the many quotes in that post must have confused me! And I love your painted stock 17s too! Your whole blacked out truck actually!

Okay, then, I hope it works out for ND and I can't wait to hear!

13. Mar 21, 2008 at 3:26 PM
    95tojo

95tojo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    So IL
    Vehicle:
    '19 Cement Grey TRD Sport 4x4 6MT
    what brand are they ?

i got mine from wheelersoffroad . . . i have bought a lot of stuff from them they seem to know what they are doing . . . .

the wheels they sent me where the "type b" pro comp rock crawlers that have a wider stance then the stock ones . . . .

i also do not have to use a spacer for mine, granted mine is old compared to all you guy's gen 4 tacomas . . .

Products Discussed in

To Top