Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Black Steelies

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Black Steelies

Hey guys, i just got new tires drom Discount Tire yesterday (that place rocks) and i am having a guy look into some black steelies for me that i saw in the show room. they didnt have the ones for the taco in stock so the guys gonna look into it today and give me a call. i expressed my concerns over the factory being hubcentric and the aftermarket rims are almost all lug centric and said i hoped there wouldnt be any vibration or balancing issues. he assured me that using a spacer for the wheels would make everything work fine. doesn anyone have any issues with aftermarket steelies? any thoughts or suggestions? What about the TPMS, any issues transfering those sensors? i appreciate any feedback you guys can give me
Old 03-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running a 1/4" spacer (front only) with my steelies (lug centric). No problems here. I do keep a closer watch on the lug nuts to keep them torqued properly. Can't help you with the TPMS though.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
My only question is why would you go from a nice set of OEM alloys to steelies?
Old 03-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
The steelies have a rugged good look to them at a very affordable price. In my case, it was also a way to acquire larger tires at a cheaper price. I spent less than $150 per tire for 33/10.5/15 BFG's while the metric equivalent for the stock wheels were closer to $200. Plus, my stock wheels have 120k miles and it shows.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
wheelersoffroad.com has black steelies on there too...might wanna check against prices....but as far as i have heard, the tpms wont transfer from alloy's to steelies. u might be able to find someone selling their tpms from the stock steelies that moved to aftermarket rims. mine actually worked today when i woke up to go get the sliders installed and my light was on b/c i got a screw stuck in one of my new mud terrains and i was down to 15psi
Old 03-19-2008, 07:51 AM   #6
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
Like Toy said, i like the rugged look. I'm a big believer of "less is more" especially on trucks. i like simple subtle accessories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
The steelies have a rugged good look to them at a very affordable price. In my case, it was also a way to acquire larger tires at a cheaper price. I spent less than $150 per tire for 33/10.5/15 BFG's while the metric equivalent for the stock wheels were closer to $200. Plus, my stock wheels have 120k miles and it shows.
yep, i like the look and they are a little wider than stock so i can get bigger tires later on down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
wheelersoffroad.com has black steelies on there too...might wanna check against prices....but as far as i have heard, the tpms wont transfer from alloy's to steelies. u might be able to find someone selling their tpms from the stock steelies that moved to aftermarket rims. mine actually worked today when i woke up to go get the sliders installed and my light was on b/c i got a screw stuck in one of my new mud terrains and i was down to 15psi
These are less expensive than anything i have found online. the guy i talked to at the wheel shop said that the TPMS would transfer fine but i would have to get new fittings for each sensor for about 8 bucks a pop. he said the sensors transfer without damage but its hard to take them out and install them without damaging the fittings. So i guess we'll see. i'll make sure i can bring them back with no problem before i actually get them.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #7

I wanted the ones from Wheelersoffroad, but the cost of shipping ripped em outta my bare minimum budget.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
Northern Alliance Gynecologist
TacoMon is on a distinguished road

TacoMon's Tacoma Gallery
I'm glad you brought this up as I am thinking of buying a set of steel wheels and some much more agressive tires for use in the winter months. I will keep the factory mags and the shitty Bridgestones for summer use.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #9
Stealer of Souls
Charli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck?
Charli's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
the guy i talked to at the wheel shop said that the TPMS would transfer fine but i would have to get new fittings for each sensor for about 8 bucks a pop
Maybe tire guys have found a way around it, but awhile back I read that TPMS sensors won't transfer from alloy to steelies, and you'd have to buy new ones or live with the annoying light. I looked into steelies as well, but from what I read the sensors wouldn't transfer because of the shape (I'm not sure of the exact cost any more, but they ain't cheap). I hope it works for you jhodge--if it does it would give me more options since I prefer steel anyway.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #10
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli View Post
I hope it works for you jhodge--if it does it would give me more options since I prefer steel anyway.
thanks for thinking of me sweetheart.......but its nd thats thinking of changing rims...i love my painted stock 17's
Old 03-20-2008, 12:08 PM   #11

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli View Post
Maybe tire guys have found a way around it, but awhile back I read that TPMS sensors won't transfer from alloy to steelies, and you'd have to buy new ones or live with the annoying light. I looked into steelies as well, but from what I read the sensors wouldn't transfer because of the shape (I'm not sure of the exact cost any more, but they ain't cheap). I hope it works for you jhodge--if it does it would give me more options since I prefer steel anyway.
The guy at the rim shop said that changing out was no problem. i called today to confirm when my wheels will arive. Last time i was there he even showed me a detailed diagram of how the tpms sensors are put together. since he does this for a living i tend to believe him, but i have heard from other people say they dont fit in steelies so i'm not sure. My wheels will be in next week and he's gonna call me to come up and test them out. i made it clear that if the tpms didnt work, or if the hubcentric/lugcentric thing was a problem that i didnt want them and would not pay any restockign fees and he said that was cool. so i'll go up there and check it out. hopefully i will hve new wheels by next friday though
Old 03-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #12
Stealer of Souls
Charli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck?
Charli's Tacoma Gallery
Oops! Sorry jhodge--the many quotes in that post must have confused me! And I love your painted stock 17s too! Your whole blacked out truck actually!

Okay, then, I hope it works out for ND and I can't wait to hear!
Old 03-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #13
Roamer
95tojo is on a distinguished road
95tojo's Tacoma Gallery
what brand are they ?

i got mine from wheelersoffroad . . . i have bought a lot of stuff from them they seem to know what they are doing . . . .

the wheels they sent me where the "type b" pro comp rock crawlers that have a wider stance then the stock ones . . . .

i also do not have to use a spacer for mine, granted mine is old compared to all you guy's gen 4 tacomas . . .