Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Newbie wants to put bigger wheels and raise truck

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
demirm is on a distinguished road
demirm's Tacoma Gallery
Newbie wants to put bigger wheels and raise truck

Hi everybody. Great forum and I'm so happy I found this. Thanks in advance for all your help.

First off, I know very little about raising trucks and bigger tires. I have a 2003 Tacoma SR5 with access cab and I want to raise the truck. Basically give it a prerunner look not monster truck. I just want to add a little style since it looks so lame right now. I will probably never go off roading. Only city driving.

The wheels I have on it are 15". I would like to go with bigger wheels - probably 16" and no more than 17". Can I do this? Also, the current wheels on it have only 5 lugs and all the bigger wheels I find for the tacoma are 6 lug. I did find on Tundras they had 16" wheels with 5 lugs. Could I put these wheels on my Tacoma?

As far as raising the truck, some guy told me that based on the look I'm going after I could just do a leveling kit. With the bigger tires and raising the front so that it is level with the back should be fine. What do you think? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
Higgins
ahigginsdeca is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
ahigginsdeca's Tacoma Gallery
You could go with a leveling kit, which can look pretty nice, but I like to do it right. I just put a 3" RevTek lift on mine and it's not anything big, but it looks really good...at least I think so. I also put on new 17" Pro Comp wheels along with some 33" tires and am extemely happy. I've seen plenty of people put on a 2" lift with 32" tires, but I think the extra inch on each makes it look a little bit better, but it also cost more. A lot of it depends on how much you want to spend...
Old 03-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #3
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Fabtech makes a 3.5 inch lift kit for the 95.5 to 2004 5 lug tacos.
Here are the specs.
95.5-04 TACOMA 5 LUG
• 3.5” PERFORMANCE SYSTEM
• 30/9.50R15 TIRES 15X7 WHEELS W/3 3/4” BACK SPACING

here is the website, if you get it post up picks I like the look of lifted 5 luggers.

http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/ap...acoma5lug.html

Pic of the truck lifted.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
demirm is on a distinguished road
demirm's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I am really trying to go the budget route and can't drop too much cash.

For example, I found these wheels and tires below that came off a tundra. Can I just swap my old ones out and put these on my truck?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/pts/610823590.html

Also, a guy will charge me $400 (everything included) for installing a leveling kit. Is that a good price? I'm hoping I could get those wheels, do the leveling kit, and only have spent $800 to give my truck a new look. What do you think? Please let me know.

And finally, does anyone know what the bolt pattern size with offset is for my 2003 toyota tacoma sr5 2wd with an access cab? I keep finding mixed info. Please let me know.