Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Tire Load Rating

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
Mayday
mmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Veteran
Name: Mike
mmadej87's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Load Rating

ive been looking back and forth on different tires and its getting to the point to where my head is beginning to hurt, whats a good tire load rating to run on a 2nd gen 4x4 DC?

the tires im looking at are the Toyo OC A/T and the load range is 2601lbs, if i spend about 30$ more per tire i get a 3000lb load range and then from there if i spend another 10$ per tire i can get a 3415 load range tire, which ends up being around 173$ a tire, and for that price i might as well get the BFG A/T KO

so im asking, is it really worth spending the extra money?

i plan on towing my gfs car (mazda 3) up to washington state this coming summer (leaving from south florida) which is gonna be a 3400 mile trip, so i need a tire that will handle the load and the distance..not to mention being able to run good in snow once i get there (when the winter months come)
Old 01-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
2601lbs is per tire right? So a combined rating of 5202lbs. Is the tongue weight plus the weight of the rear of your vehicle going to exceed that?? I personally try to run a Load Range C tire. But I go off-road a lot.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
Mayday
mmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Veteran
Name: Mike
mmadej87's Tacoma Gallery
yes, thats per tire, i dont know what the weight of her car is, but i plan on putting it on a full trailer, that way i dont wear down the rear tires of her car on that trip, so i wouldnt know what the tongue weight would be, i would assume that her car barely weighs over 3000lbs
Old 01-14-2010, 03:36 AM   #4
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
You would be fine with choosing the lowest rated of those tires.

The tires that come standard on the Tacoma's are 'P' rated and are rated around 2200lbs/tire.

I'm running P rated Nitto terra grappler (same company as Toyo) which are rated around 2200lbs, they handle offroading and towing just fine.
Check out the Nitto TG if you haven't already...I got them for $120/tire.

If you go with the high rated tires then your ride quality will be stiffer and your mpg will go down slightly, something to think about on long trips.