1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire Load Rating

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by mmadej87, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Jan 13, 2010 at 5:10 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 [OP] Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    ive been looking back and forth on different tires and its getting to the point to where my head is beginning to hurt, whats a good tire load rating to run on a 2nd gen 4x4 DC?

the tires im looking at are the Toyo OC A/T and the load range is 2601lbs, if i spend about 30$ more per tire i get a 3000lb load range and then from there if i spend another 10$ per tire i can get a 3415 load range tire, which ends up being around 173$ a tire, and for that price i might as well get the BFG A/T KO

so im asking, is it really worth spending the extra money?

i plan on towing my gfs car (mazda 3) up to washington state this coming summer (leaving from south florida) which is gonna be a 3400 mile trip, so i need a tire that will handle the load and the distance..not to mention being able to run good in snow once i get there (when the winter months come)

2. Jan 13, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    2601lbs is per tire right? So a combined rating of 5202lbs. Is the tongue weight plus the weight of the rear of your vehicle going to exceed that?? I personally try to run a Load Range C tire. But I go off-road a lot.

3. Jan 13, 2010 at 5:16 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 [OP] Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    yes, thats per tire, i dont know what the weight of her car is, but i plan on putting it on a full trailer, that way i dont wear down the rear tires of her car on that trip, so i wouldnt know what the tongue weight would be, i would assume that her car barely weighs over 3000lbs

4. Jan 14, 2010 at 3:36 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    You would be fine with choosing the lowest rated of those tires.

The tires that come standard on the Tacoma's are 'P' rated and are rated around 2200lbs/tire.

I'm running P rated Nitto terra grappler (same company as Toyo) which are rated around 2200lbs, they handle offroading and towing just fine.
    Check out the Nitto TG if you haven't already...I got them for $120/tire.

If you go with the high rated tires then your ride quality will be stiffer and your mpg will go down slightly, something to think about on long trips.

Products Discussed in

To Top