Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Portable Air Compressor

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SamSter0077's Tacoma Gallery
Portable Air Compressor

I am in the market for a portable air compressor to mount under the hood of my truck. Google unfortunately isn't pointing them all out to me very well, and I stumbled on a site that has a couple of reviews of different makes. Great info IMO.. Curious about inflations times/ real world comparison.. check it out

http://www.parksoffroad.com/prodrevi...flatormain.htm
Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
thats a nice setup DN!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #4
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
Oasis FTMFW.
yeah, according to the comparison.. it was the fastest at 51 seconds.. but 200amps, Holy Shit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Been using one for about a year now. Great product.
http://www.viaircorp.com/OffRoad/products.html
Wow, that looks kickass.. two because one wasn't fast enough? How long does it take you to Air up?
Old 01-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
Happy Camper

Call me simple minded, but I like the way DREW has his setup.. no holding tank, just straight from the ARB pump..
Old 01-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
i went the simple route. this compressor only cost me $60 at the autoparts store, but it will fill my tire (265/70/17) from flat to full pressure in about 3-4 minutes. so the average air-up only takes about 5 minutes for all 4 tires. it's been mounted under the hood for over a year and running as strong as the day i got it. i have a splitter coming directly out of it with one hose going to the back, inside one of the storage cubbys in the bed. the other side is just open. both have chucks on the ends so i can attach one of those $5 curly yellow hoses with whatever attachment i want. thinking about adding a tank in the future though.
Attached Thumbnails
Portable Air Compressor-dscf4556.jpg   Portable Air Compressor-dscf4559.jpg  
Old 01-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
The newer ARB high output compressor performs much better than the ones they used in the test.

If you're going to use air tools you'll probably want a tank and a compressor with a higher CFM output than what an ARB can provide. If you just want to air up your tires, then you don't need a massive compressor, just something that will get the job done and work consistently.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #11
jmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jmed99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
i went the simple route. this compressor only cost me $60 at the autoparts store, but it will fill my tire (265/70/17) from flat to full pressure in about 3-4 minutes. so the average air-up only takes about 5 minutes for all 4 tires. it's been mounted under the hood for over a year and running as strong as the day i got it. i have a splitter coming directly out of it with one hose going to the back, inside one of the storage cubbys in the bed. the other side is just open. both have chucks on the ends so i can attach one of those $5 curly yellow hoses with whatever attachment i want. thinking about adding a tank in the future though.
What kind is this? Do you have an install thread or instructions on doing this? Thanks!
Old 03-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
here's the compressor (sold at advanced autoparts) http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Direct-Drive-Tire-Inflator-Victor_1060041-P_N3474_T%7CGRP2003____ as you can see, it comes with a cigarette lights plug and a very small hose. to install it, i cut the cigarette lighter plug off and just ran 14 guage wire to the battery positive and then more 14 to ground it. it has a switch built in on the side of the compressor, so there was no need to wire a switch sepparately (though once i get a tank i will wire a switch inside the cab as well). to mount it, i drilled a hole straight down through each foot (and rubber pad underneath to absorb vibrations), adn then just bolted it right inside of the engine compartment. then to take care of the crappy hose it comes with, jsut go to your favorite hardware store and pick up all of the hoses/fittings/attachments that you need to make best fit your uses. so for just under $100, i got a very functional setup.

hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #13
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Been using one for about a year now. Great product.
http://www.viaircorp.com/OffRoad/products.html

Nice setup
Old 03-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #14
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
sweet setup DN... a larger tank would be more effective, but its compact & works for you!