Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Is there a worse tire than the BF Goodrich rugged trail tire

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #21
only49ersfan is on a distinguished road

only49ersfan's Tacoma Gallery
as a Michelin, BFGoodrich and Bridgestone dealer, i hate the Rugged trails. The most "truely round" tires I see are Michelins but even Michelin's most aggressive A/T tire doesnt compare to the BFG's A/T off road. On road is a different story. Im willing to sacrifice on-road capabilities to off-road. If your looking for the best on-road tire, go with the Michelin LTX M/S2. If your looking for the best off-road tire, go with the BFG A/T...IMO
Old 01-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #22
He is The STig
mick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bott
mick478's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05moose View Post
dunlops x to the nth power! Actually, my main complaint with the dunlops was the fact they wore down to the replacement indicators at 13k miles! At least the rugged fails last longer...

goddamm!!!!

we're thinking talking the same indicators right????

i have 15k on mine and i am hard on them on purpose cuz i want new tires. but still nowhere near the indics, my neighbor accross the street has like 40 k on his, and they are barely at the indics,,,,
Old 01-26-2010, 11:45 PM   #23
cabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Andy
cabarbhab's Tacoma Gallery
the rugged trails are bad, there were a few times that i had to lock the rear end just to get out of wet grass.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:41 AM   #25
JONNY TACO will become famous soon enoughJONNY TACO will become famous soon enough
JONNY TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronk View Post
Yeah, they suck... 13,000 miles on mine and I'm almost worn down to the wear bar already. They're absolutely horrible in the snow as well...
How do you wear out a set of tires in 13k miles ? ? ?
Old 01-27-2010, 05:34 AM   #26
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
I can only hope these things wear out in 13k miles. Give me an excuse to get a new set on there.

The Rugged Fails are fine on road properly inflated and maintained, but off road they're about as capable as any other street tire...and people who claim they're a "hybrid" or "non-aggressive" all-terrain are kidding themselves. They're street tires. Toyota knows most people buy the OR package for the image. If it was a true OR package, it would be a setup like the RAPTOR. 99% of TRD ORs never leave pavement other than the occasional gravel road.

Anyway, they've been fine tires on road, but I'm not going anywhere near sand or mud with them...that's going to have to wait for some good MTs.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:01 AM   #27
L8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant future

Air Force: Retired
L8Rmike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by only49ersfan View Post
as a Michelin, BFGoodrich and Bridgestone dealer, i hate the Rugged trails. The most "truely round" tires I see are Michelins but even Michelin's most aggressive A/T tire doesnt compare to the BFG's A/T off road. On road is a different story. Im willing to sacrifice on-road capabilities to off-road. If your looking for the best on-road tire, go with the Michelin LTX M/S2. If your looking for the best off-road tire, go with the BFG A/T...IMO
So where does the Revo 2's fall in your expericence?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:05 AM   #28
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
I had 9K on my Rugged Trails when I upgraded to bigger tires. I then put those Rugged Trails on my wifes 4Runner and she has ran them about 15K. I have no compaints about them, and they are hardly worn with 25k on them now.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:08 AM   #29
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgrnr View Post
Better than Tiger Paws. lol
LOL I had those on my 91' s-10... Good Times
Old 01-27-2010, 06:21 AM   #30
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
I think BFG Long Fails are pretty suck as well.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:32 AM   #32
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfiber View Post
In the early 1970's I worked at a BF Goodrich factory store busting tires. I think about every BFG Radial T/A I mounted in those days was out of round. It was so bad we would mount the rim, find the high and low spots using a dial indicator and then mount the tire and check the run out again. We would try to match the high spot on the tire with the low spot on the rim. Finally we sent problem tires across town to a retreader to have them trued. If we didn't we could not balance the Radial T/A's with out over 8 oz weight which is way to much. After that I have never bought BF Goodrich tires. Others have had better luck though with them.

That's interesting Gary. I have had T/As on my old 93 PU and 98 taco. I liked them because they lasted a long time and were great offroad. However, the one thing I could not stand about them is that I always had wear issues. Both sets seemed to cup bad. It didn't matter what I did; tire rotation, pressure adjustments, etc. I never had an alignment issue with either truck. I could never get them to wear evenly. I always seemed to have a slow leak too.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:40 AM   #33
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Bridgestone Dueler HTs.....AWFUL
Old 01-27-2010, 07:16 AM   #34
JONNY TACO will become famous soon enoughJONNY TACO will become famous soon enough
Gee-I have over 29K mikes on my stock tires with little wear and no problems. Even in the snow. I must be doing something right. LOL
Old 01-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #35
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick478 View Post
goddamm!!!!

we're thinking talking the same indicators right????

i have 15k on mine and i am hard on them on purpose cuz i want new tires. but still nowhere near the indics, my neighbor accross the street has like 40 k on his, and they are barely at the indics,,,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONNY TACO View Post
How do you wear out a set of tires in 13k miles ? ? ?
Yep, we're talking the same wear indicators. And I did mostly just highway miles at that time. I know for a fact because I went 4 wheeling up the road where they don't plow in the winter with some friends and got stuck. Couldn't cross over a 6 inch birm from the tire tracks. I took a look at my tires and found they were down to the wear tab indicators on all 4...I had only 13K miles on the truck!!! No F'ing way, I thought! But those were the facts. Can't change them now matter what. There are many others out there getting only 13K miles on those Dunlops. Talk about inconsistencies in manufacturing!
Old 01-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #36
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
I had trouble with these... damn termites

I bet you get great traction with that design. Where did you get the rims?? LOL
Old 01-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #37
Joe Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
Joe Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Got rid of them today~1300 miles. Bought a set of Michelin LTX MS2.

I couldn't take it anymore.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:46 AM   #38
Reepur is on a distinguished road
Reepur's Tacoma Gallery
Some Brands have multiple plants around the world making the same tires.
That way, they can shift production to where ever the currency gives the
best bang for the buck and maximize their profit margin as currency values shift around the world.
So as an example(just an example!) General could shift production of the AT2's to Brazil if the can make an extra dollar per tire in the currency exchange.
That may explain why some people get different results from the same tires. (also driving style I know)
Old 01-30-2010, 07:47 AM   #39
Reepur is on a distinguished road
Reepur's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Taco View Post
Got rid of them today~1300 miles. Bought a set of Michelin LTX MS2.

I couldn't take it anymore.
Grats, I know people that have had good luck with those. Though they dont OR that much.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #40
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kenny
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
I have rugged trails on my truck now and I am not happy with the wear or how they drive..notice they drift...I do my own alignments soo I know the alignment is right. What would be a good tire for mostly street but good for the occasional snow and dirt trail?