1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is there a worse tire than the BF Goodrich rugged trail tire

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Joe Taco, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Jan 30, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    nastyblowpop

nastyblowpop Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4x4 rugged trail
    they are awful, when it rains i have to put it in 4x4 and drive at 50 to not hydroplane all over the freeway. and they suck so bad for offroad. ive had 7 punctures already. i cant wait for my km2's

2. Jan 30, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    08TRD Sport

08TRD Sport ROOTIN AROUND

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Augusta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    10 5th Gen 4Runner
    X2 the spot HT dunlops sucks big ones!!!!!!!!

3. Jan 30, 2010 at 12:27 PM
    taco084gb

taco084gb No matter where you go there you are.

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    NorCal
    I have a set of the Toyo A/T 265/75/16 but I got them used for a $100 but they have a little under 5/32 left on them and they work good for me. I drive about 200 miles in 4 days for work them do a little offroading. But I have some fairly new BFG KM2 255/85/16 for serious mudding that I got. These tires are awesome.
    My BFG Rugged trails have 44,000 miles and havent quite got to the wear indicators yet.

4. Jan 30, 2010 at 12:33 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Yeah you're right... I guess I haven't really had enough time to say anything about them since they only have 1K on them... :eek:

I haven't taken them offroad yet either, but I'm not sure I want to with what people are saying about them.

5. Jan 30, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    MarineTacoDriver

MarineTacoDriver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cherry Point
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4
    ARB front bumper, Warn M8000, ATO front/transmission/transfer case skids, Icon ext travel coilovers, Total Chaos UCA's, OME Dakar leaf springs, Bilstein/RCD 5100 3-4" lift shock, extended stainless brake lines, DrewFab shackle flip, rear ARB Airlocker, ARB air compressor
    I have the Dunlops, and use them when I go mudding until I get a little bit of money for some new tires. They are certainly not the best but I have yet to get stuck, and we go down some hard trails. Almost been stuck a couple times, but every time the taco manages to make a miracle happen and get itself out.

6. Jan 31, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Rugged Trails should not be acting that way... is the presure too high... should be close to 30 psi (29 front/ 32 rear on mine).
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    On my third new Tacoma TRD Off Road 4WD ('01, '05,'10) and all three had the Rugged Trails... For stock tires, they did fine IMO... desert, sand, and even some snow... However, they only will give you 30,000 miles before getting flats. I can't imagine anyone getting over 40,000 miles on them.

The '01: I replaced them with the same tire at 30 K because they were not bad, and cheap then... the next set (at 60,000 mi.) I went with the Cooper (made for Pep Boys) Futura Dakota (now called Destiny? Dakota)... Now they only were good for 25,000 miles, but were cheaper than BFG and pro-rated for 50, 000 miles... so the next set cost 1/2 price.

The '05 Rugged Trails got replaced at 25,000 miles (but could have gone to 30K) with Cooper Discoverer STTs... A really cool looking off road tire, gave me up to 40,000 miles of life... but were NOISY as hell on the highway!!! They were great in mud, but terrible in sand (where I do most of my 4 wheeling). Next set were Toyo Open Country ATs... very nice, quiet, no flats, 30,000 mi.! Next set were Cooper Discoverer ATRs, also nice... same as the Toyos... Traded it in with them on, but looked like a 30,000 mile tire, as well.

Although I would like an agressive off road tire, I do not want to endure the loud highway noise... I am considering the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ or maybe just go with the Michelin truck/ SUV tire... when I replace the Rugged Trails?

7. Jan 31, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    LEBM

LEBM Thread Killer

Member:
    Eleanor, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO 6MT Midnight Black
    I guess ignorance is bliss... my Rugged Trails seem to do just fine, and I've been driving in ice and snow my whole life. It's a daily driver though, and I don't take it off road much at all.

8. Jan 31, 2010 at 11:23 AM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    I am running Firestone Destination A/T's 285/70/17 and they rock!! I was worried at first when we started getting Blizzard like snow but they are great. No complaints at all.

9. Jan 31, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    SubZombie

SubZombie Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro
    I don't have any problems with ride quality on the rugged trails. Its a pretty cush ride infact.

Sounds like they are overinflated to me aswell.

When mine came off the dealer lot there was 35-36psi in every corner, where the rec. was 29/30. Before I let the air out (didn't go quite down to the rec. pressure) the ride was much smoother, had a 4 hour drive from the dealership and I remember thinking it felt rougher than the ones I test drove (ordered mine).

Also, unlike many on here, I haven't felt like the Rugged trails were some terrible tire. I drove 50 miles yesterday morning in 10+ inches of snow to get home and never even had a hint of a problem. Going around on the farm they hold around in the mud pretty decent considering how tame the tread is. I never slip around in the rain at all.

I do know that alot of users on here like to keep their tires at 34+ psi, which is def gonna hurt traction in any kind of snow or mud or rain.

"they are awful, when it rains i have to put it in 4x4 and drive at 50 to not hydroplane all over the freeway."

There is no way in hell that it is even possible that being in 4x4 could prevent you from hydroplaning...unless you don't know what hydroplaning is and you're confused.

10. Jan 31, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    They aren't cheap but I don't think there is a tire better than the Michelins.

11. Jan 31, 2010 at 3:15 PM
    wallnerfe

wallnerfe Member

Member:
    Lovell, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Although my 2010 Taco is only 2 months old, our Wisconsin winter has been a nice test for the Rugged Trails. Complaints? None. We have had a couple of very good snows and the tires have preformed just fine. I can't expect the Rugged Trails to plow through 10 inches of snow in 2 wheel drive, but I do get very good performance in that depth with 4 wheel drive. So, as far as I'm concerned, they will stay on my truck until they wear out. And then, maybe, I'll replace them with Rugged Trails again ;).

12. Feb 1, 2010 at 7:01 AM
    Joe Taco

Joe Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma PreRunner TRD OR
    Purchased truck on 1/3/10

I agree. It's night and day difference ride wise now withe the Michelins.

I wish I hadn't bought the package that had the BFG's--I have zero use for an offroad/mud/all terrain tire. The TRD O/R package, at least for me, was a waste of money.

13. Feb 1, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    Soundwave

Soundwave Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD sport Double Cab 4x4
    OEM Roof rack
    I think BFG Long Trails might be worst? They look less agressive, but I hear they wear a long time? Hence the "long" LOL

14. Feb 1, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    I replaced my stock tires within the first 10k miles due to the lousy performance. First time I hydroplaned on the highway made the decision easy. Cost of new tires vs. cost of a new truck makes it plain as day.

Worst tires on the face of the planet are the Mickey Thompson Baja Belted HPs. Zero siping. Zero channels to allow water to drain out from under the tire. Went out of round extremely easily. Followed the ruts in the road like I've never experienced. I had them on an f150 and my uncle had the exact same issues with his tires on a Jeep Wrangler. It wasn't a vehicle weight or alignment issue -- they just sucked.

15. Feb 1, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    I hear that's a great tire. Once my Dunflops wear out I think I'm gonna try those.

16. Feb 1, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    kbaum08

kbaum08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    US of A
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road dbl cab 4x4 barcelona red
    Jason Topper, Bed Rug, Weather Tech floor liners, Garmin Nuvi 760, Scan Guage, Trd exhaust, AFE dry air filter, shrockworks rock sliders, heated seats Katzkin leather, 2+ inch OME lift shocks etc heavy duty, ARB front bumper, Warn winch, Pia lights, rocktek rear bumper, locking tailgate,
    Based on reputation alone I had my Revos with 14,500 miles moved from my trd sport to my present truck the second I bought it. Revos have 30k on them now and still have a lot left in them.

17. May 15, 2010 at 10:18 PM
    RockyTacoma

RockyTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dojo
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    2002 tacoma trd
    stock
    BFG rugged trails,,is one shitty tire. i hate them, soon as i get new M/T im going to give away rugged crappies!

Products Discussed in

To Top