Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Slipping on icy/snow roads

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
Rick2007Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Rick2007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Slipping on icy/snow roads

I just purchased a new 2007 Tacoma Access cab Prerunner 4cyl manual with stock tires. We just had a wet icy/snow type night and I needed to drive to work. I found myself fish-tailing when accelerating as well as stopping. I returned home and borrowed my sons 2001 Tacoma Prerunner automatic trans with new Michelin tires. His truck drove without a problem. I’m not sure why the 07 wouldn’t drive as well. I like to here some opinions on this and ideas to correct this.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:20 PM   #2
yotaman is on a distinguished road
yotaman's Tacoma Gallery
Get better tires. If you have the crappy Dunlopes on now then replace them with some A/T tires like Bridgestone or Yokohamas.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
it's all about me
Ldytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to behold

Ldytaco05's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to ask this question but were you on 4th gear when you do this. the reason i asked is i use the lower gears to drive on slippery roads. living in fla when it rains it pours and those oil slick roads i don't know how it compares to icy roads but it helps me out when i use low gears to drive through it. hope this helps
Old 02-06-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
Rick2007Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Rick2007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Type of Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldytaco05 View Post
Sorry to ask this question but were you on 4th gear when you do this. the reason i asked is i use the lower gears to drive on slippery roads. living in fla when it rains it pours and those oil slick roads i don't know how it compares to icy roads but it helps me out when i use low gears to drive through it. hope this helps
Actually it happened under several conditions. 1) From a dead stop if I wasnít careful, 2) while in second or third gear and when I gave it some gas, and even when breaking. I lost a little confidence in handling when I drove it. I do have the Dunlap tires, which donít look all that bad. I do remember when we drove my sons 2001 Prerunner with the stock tires, it was very bouncy. If you hit a bump, no telling where you would land. We now have Michelin tires on his truck and it handles excellent. I would hate to have to spend $800 on a new set of tires without these wearing out first.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:36 PM   #5
topdec will become famous soon enoughtopdec will become famous soon enough
topdec's Tacoma Gallery
As mentioned, tires have to do a lot with how a 4x2 truck does in snow. And they're worth the money too.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
quick answer get a 4x4 just kidding take a look at this it might help they sell it in the tacoma part store at the top of the page
http://www.shurtrax.com/index.asp
Old 02-07-2007, 06:10 AM   #7
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003greenbean View Post
Shurtrax will increase your gas consumption!
Old 02-07-2007, 06:19 AM   #8
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I too have a 4cyl Manual PreRunner. I have less than 4000 miles on my Dunlop's. Unfortunately I also have the "Extended Tire Life" Program, which means that I have "free" tires for every tire under 100,000 miles on my truck.

I just got back from a trip to Lubbock, TX a few days ago. I had put 200 lbs of sand bags in a 2x4 box right between the wheel wells. I had the same problem - fishy rear-end even with the weight. I have never had that problem with any other truck I have owned except for an IH Scout that had mudders on it in Colorado snow.

I plan on getting some Firestone Destination A/T's. I had these on my Suburban, and they were unstoppable. Plus, they gave me a quiet ride and many, many miles! The "Extended Tire Life" program may make this difficult. I need to see if these are considered direct OEM optional tires, and if the dealership carries them.

Good luck to you, but my 2 cents - get better tires! The Dunlops stink in the snow/ice.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:30 AM   #9
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

For more info on the Destination A/T tires, check this out.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:32 AM   #10
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick2007Tacoma View Post
....new 2007 Tacoma Access cab Prerunner 4cyl manual with stock tires. We just had a wet icy/snow type night and I needed to drive to work. I found myself fish-tailing when accelerating as well as stopping......
Sure the Taco comes with crappy tires ideal for dry conditions. I experience the same but have learned to live with it. How you may ask? Ease off on the accelerator. Anytime YOU make your wheels spin, your truck will fish tail. Investing in better tires is a way out but not necessary if you are a smart driver. I drive on very icy conditions on a daily basis on stock tires with very little or no problems. Ease off on the gas pedal and/or brakes and give it a try. Youíll be surprised.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:42 AM   #11
ImInLoveWithMyTruck has a spectacular aura aboutImInLoveWithMyTruck has a spectacular aura about
ImInLoveWithMyTruck's Tacoma Gallery
I agree 100% with the above. The truck does not drive itself.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:43 AM   #12
I dub thee malicious!

Agreed, but I am not the only one that drives my truck. I have a wife that has little experience with Rear-Wheel-Drive vehicles and even less with empty bed trucks.

I didn't have a problem with my truck in Lubbock. It did fishtail a bit, but nothing out of control. I am more worried about her getting into it and becoming uncomfortable with a wet snow, slosh, or ice. Then she could get into some real trouble. There is a reason I got her a 4WD Rav4.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:52 AM   #13
topdec will become famous soon enoughtopdec will become famous soon enough
topdec's Tacoma Gallery
Since we're talking about driving styles anyway...

a truck on 4x2 fish-tails when the wheels are turned. So, as soon as you get to the APEX, shoot for the outside of the turn, which would straighten out the front wheels faster. This minimizes fish-tailing. This also gives you faster exit speed 'cause you get on the gas quicker.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:57 AM   #14
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdec View Post
Since we're talking about driving styles anyway...

a truck on 4x2 fish-tails when the wheels are turned. So, as soon as you get to the APEX, shoot for the outside of the turn, which would straighten out the front wheels faster. This minimizes fish-tailing. This also gives you faster exit speed.
You got it, Dale Earnhart!

Products Discussed in this Thread