LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Help on tire and wheel sizing...again

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
se7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to behold

se7en's Tacoma Gallery
Help on tire and wheel sizing...again

Okay, please don't blast me. I swear I have searched and searched but I couldn't find EXACTLY what I was looking for. I have a stock 09 DC Sport 4x4 and don't plan on lifting. I want to run MM 951's in an 18x9. Those have a standard 4.5" backspace and -12mm offset. I'll, of course, run a 285/60/18 tire most likely a Nitto TG. I don't want them to stick out further than 1.5"-2" max past the fenders. Is this going to work or will they stick out even further? Will they rub or is trimming involved. I want to keep my front mud flaps if at all possible. Help from you guys is VERY much appreciated.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
BANNED in 49 states...
AriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
AriZonaD54's Tacoma Gallery
My wheels have the same specs as the ones you are looking at with the exception that they are 17" tall instead of 18".

The tires are 295/70/17. You can see how they look here;

Old 01-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
BANNED in 49 states...
AriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
AriZonaD54's Tacoma Gallery
At 285+ you'll more than likely need a 3" lift and potentially some UCAs
Old 01-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
se7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to behold

se7en's Tacoma Gallery
D54 - man that is one bad ass looking truck...seriously!

I looked at chris4x4's and the size I want is the same size he has...except he has a lift. With a 4.5" backspace on the wheels I want compared to the stock 5.5", I'm gaining an inch of clearance on the inside to make room for the wider tires. In my mind, that should work...I think. It might rub a little on tight turns, but not a lot, again, I think.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #5

se7en's Tacoma Gallery
The largest stock tire on a stock rim I could go with is a 265/70/17. This tire has a diameter of 31.57" and a width of 10.79". The 285/60/18 has a diameter of 31.5" and a width of 11.5". That's only a differnce of .71" in width. Which when split (because half will be on the outside of the tire) is only adding .36" on the inside. The 1" of backspace (5.5-4.5) should take care of that nicely, right? I mean, am I crazy here or simply too much of a noob to not know of other things?
Old 02-02-2010, 05:43 AM   #7

se7en's Tacoma Gallery
Too late. Rims and tires are on order. Going with 18x9 XD Monsters and 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZ's. My math says it won't rub with normal day-to-day driving...several others that I PM'd said I may have to do some slight trimming, but overall it would work.

It has a much higher probability of rubbing if I go off roading and stuff the tire, but that's not in my near future.

After searching this forum, PMing a half dozen members, I was surprised that very few had definitive answers. With a site as large as TW, with as many members, I would have thought I could have found someone somewhere that had the same thought I did and tried it...and subsequently posted their results. It seems EVERYONE wants to lift. I did too, until I did some in depth research and discovered that by lifting as little as three inches, it will put, on average, 30% more wear and tear on your suspension and 20% more on your driveline...not to mention voiding the warranty on those parts affected. I plan to keep this truck for several years and don't want to put that much abuse on it simply for looks.

As a result, I'm going to take a lot of pictures and try and describe, to the best of my ability, what I experienced so that somebody else somewhere may find it useful.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:25 AM   #8
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
Those wheels and tires will fit!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:28 AM   #9
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Let us know how those Cooper tires hold up! I was considering those when I got my wheels but decided on the toyo open country a/t's.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:33 AM   #10

se7en's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
Let us know how those Cooper tires hold up! I was considering those when I got my wheels but decided on the toyo open country a/t's.
Absolutely!

I decided on these based on the RAVING reviews from the full size crowd. If the tires can hold up to their heavier loads, our Taco's will have little effect on them. Should last a long time. Also, Chris4x4 has them and is reviewing them :http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...z-preview.html
Old 02-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #11
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
I believe if you want 285s you'll end up needing to remove the front mud flaps.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:59 AM   #12
keithlandrum is on a distinguished road
Name: Keith
keithlandrum's Tacoma Gallery
i think 285/60/18 will fit fine just a little widder i had a 05 f150 with 18"s and i put bfg/s 305/65/18 and they were only like 33.5 tall but if they were like 305/70/18 they would have been like 35s
Old 02-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #13
Dirty Trucker

I'm not sure if they will rub the front mud flaps cause I took mine off the same day I drove it off the lot! But it will be close to your uca's. I have about a 1/4 inch between the tire and the uca. But it doesn't rub.