1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ABS and bigger tires?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by solus, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Feb 3, 2010 at 8:21 AM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    Is it possible to recalibrate the ABS for new larger tires? ABS kicks in a lot earlier under moderate braking with my 285s. I know I'm not skidding yet the ABS still kicks in.

2. Feb 3, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    hmmm.... if I really get on the brake the ABS kicks in but its a lot earlier than when I had stock, or even 265s tires... now it kicks in if I stop aggressively. Maybe this is how it suppose to work? It just seems a lot earlier than before and more frequent.

3. Feb 3, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    naw, its done this atleast once before I ever went mudding...

4. Feb 3, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    Klipp11

Klipp11 s3

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC 4x4 LB
    OME 885 coils, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 1.5" AAL, TC uca's, cab mount chop, 5000k HID heads and fogs, LED tails, satoshi GC w/ Hella 500's mounted behind it with 5000k HID upgrade, Extang solid tri-fold tonneau cover, Yakima roof rack, fog light anytime mod, disable a/c defrost mod
    i fucking HATE the ABS system on our trucks.

WAY too sensitive / aggressive. and i've got a story to go with it...

last month i'm travelling behind this little civic when he decides to slam on the brakes for a pedestrian walking up to the crosswalk light button.

don't know why he thought it was so important to stop right then and there since the pedestrian had yet to get to the button, press it, then cross the other direction's lane before they even got to our lane, but whatever...

regardless, i had to stop unexpectedly to avoid crushing this civic in front of me. i see him slam on the brakes, can't even afford the time to check the lane beside me to see if switching lanes is an option. so i'm committed to stopping in the same distance as his hatchback...

that's when mr. ABS decides to come out and play. he tells me "i'm a safety feature designed to keep you safe!" i can't brake, it's like they don't even work. mr. ABS is buzzing away and i make contact with the civic.

well FUCK YOU mr. ABS!!!

luckily it was just superficial damage, got the scratches buffed out by the guys at my body shop for free.

that was the last time i heard from mr. ABS, i can tell you that. his fuse was yanked the next day. you go to HELL!!!

if i'm gonna press on the brake pedal, that means i want to stop. i don't care if the wheels lock up. if i start to move sideways, i'll let up a bit and go the direction i want. i don't need no back seat driver taking over the controls.

sorry for the rant..... ahhh, that feels better actually! good to get it off my chest...

5. Feb 3, 2010 at 10:27 AM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    thats sucks....

Products Discussed in

To Top