Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Volk Racing TE-37 or Walker Evans Bead Locks?

View Poll Results: Which one would you get (if they cost about the same)?
TE37 22 64.71%
Walker Evans Bead Locks 12 35.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
tonyplanet will become famous soon enoughtonyplanet will become famous soon enough

tonyplanet's Tacoma Gallery
Volk Racing TE-37 or Walker Evans Bead Locks?

I have an opportunity to get a good discount (real good 30 - 40%) off a set of Rays Engineering/Volk Racing te37x wheels. Making them come close to the cost a set of Walker Evan Beadlocks? Need help in deciding. Thanks

Background Rays Engineering, producer of the te37:

Rays Engineering is a premiere Japanese manufacturer of high-end racing wheels, for both motorsport and street. There technology is one of the most advanced, if not the most advanced in forging wheels. There process of forging wheels, is through a rm forging process. Only two manufacturers exist in the world today that has this advance technology: Rays and BBS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Armx02_R7Y0
Old 02-06-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
tonyplanet will become famous soon enoughtonyplanet will become famous soon enough

tonyplanet's Tacoma Gallery
Correction:

TE37x

http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/emenu/da..._TE37X/big.jpg

http://www.polyperformance.com/showimages.php?id=21190
Old 02-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
If you cruise malls - get either - if you off road, where you are going to rub up to rocks there is no question which one to get.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
sooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nice
sooner02r1's Tacoma Gallery
Beadlocks are a terrible idea if your truck is a street truck. For one they are not legal on the road. They will lose air faster and are harder to balance. But they dominate if you will be airing down offroad. Just depends what you do with the truck.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
volks look awesome! i've been thinking about getting a set when I get new wheels too.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Just to drive the point home a bit more. I think about this every time I look at my dinged up wheels. I have Countersteers and I think they look great. They are not form-follows-function wheels and I would Never put them on an off road truck again. Don't get me wrong - I will use them up at this point but they are not designed with rocks in mind. I would urge anyone looking for wheels for off road use to get a wheel with a beefy outer lip. You don't have to spend a lot - there are many out there for roughly $120 a wheel that would do the trick.

Regardless of being forged or not - that lip is just too thin to stand up to abuse. As a mentor/friend/client once told me - "I can't afford to buy something twice!" Buy it right the first time and you will be very happy for a longer period of time.

To that point sometimes I think Tricoma over analyzes his build but I think he will have a smokin ride. Tri - my only complaint is that you aren't finished yet - can't wait to see you in the sandbox!
Old 02-07-2010, 02:08 AM   #10
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
dont get the beadlocks, I called Walker Evans personally yesterday and they said if you dont air down below 8-6 psi then you are wasting your money, plus most tire shops wont even touch them because of liabilities. I would get the Walker Evans street locks
Old 02-07-2010, 02:18 AM   #11
Hoogie boogie!
Stupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
Stupid hurts.'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stupid hurts.
Volks! Wanna hook me up with a set?
Old 02-07-2010, 02:39 AM   #12
CSULB socal
dunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig Sirois
dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
what color is ur truck tony? But withoutknowing I voted for volk
Old 02-07-2010, 08:23 AM   #13
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
dont get the beadlocks, I called Walker Evans personally yesterday and they said if you dont air down below 8-6 psi then you are wasting your money, plus most tire shops wont even touch them because of liabilities. I would get the Walker Evans street locks
Having lost a bead off roading (18 psi - off camber) in the snow near last week - I wish I had wasted my money!
Old 02-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #14
Jon Stewart / Stephen Colbert 2016
BBY2KS2K has a spectacular aura aboutBBY2KS2K has a spectacular aura about

Navy: ET2/SS (Submarine Electronics Tech) 1996-2005
Name: Jason
BBY2KS2K's Tacoma Gallery
I personally think the Volks look a bit funny on pick up trucks. They are great wheels, I have a set of Volk Racing CE28n's on my S2000, but I don't think I could put a set of Volks on the Taco.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
powerban is on a distinguished road
powerban's Tacoma Gallery
Did you really need real volks? You can buy the Konig copies for about 650 from JLB. 17x8 and are pretty lightweight. Just ask for the Countersteer X's
Old 02-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #16
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
Having lost a bead off roading (18 psi - off camber) in the snow near last week - I wish I had wasted my money!
I've been aired down to 10 psi all the time, even driving down the street, and I've never blown a bead. There are certain things you cannot do while aired down, such as turning fast on surfaces with good traction or putting lateral force on the tires. Im guessing you did something wrong to pop that bead while wheeling in the snow.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:43 PM   #17
R.A.M.F (R@D A$$ MUTHA FU$KA)
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sir_Rad
RAD's Tacoma Gallery
I searched for VOLKS for our TACOS and well. Its not practical. Well to me at least. I wanted to offroad and get 17's. You can't do either one. Volks TE37x dont come in 17's. THere is a 8 month wait with a price tag of $3500.00. I almost did it and I'm glad I didnt.

I've got the Konig Counter X and love them!

I always wanted a set as I rocked VOLKS & WORKS Emotions on my Civic SI and S2K.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #18
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
I've been aired down to 10 psi all the time, even driving down the street, and I've never blown a bead. There are certain things you cannot do while aired down, such as turning fast on surfaces with good traction or putting lateral force on the tires. Im guessing you did something wrong to pop that bead while wheeling in the snow.
3mph over an 8" rock on an off camber trail. I was surprised as well.

That said I was aired down to 12psi all 4 this weekend and was fine. But I had Paul and Rick in my head the whole time (both lost a bead at the same time)
Old 02-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #19
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
3mph over an 8" rock on an off camber trail. I was surprised as well.

That said I was aired down to 12psi all 4 this weekend and was fine. But I had Paul and Rick in my head the whole time (both lost a bead at the same time)
Who'd you go down there with? - I hope Rick and I weren't dressed funny "in your head!"
Old 02-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #20
Its_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Its_Taco_Time's Tacoma Gallery
Walker evans...GACK

For the same price??? Even if the volks were a few hundred more I would go with that.