Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

235/85 r16

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #21
Fiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fiveology's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anethema View Post
It will look exactly as skinny as a 255/85 since the aspect ratio is the same. Basically just a shrunk down a bit version of that 255/85 size.

You can find our arguments for the benifets of tall and skinny in the 255/85R16 thread.
HUH?
Old 02-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #22
Ron F. Swanson
JaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JaSkynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anethema View Post
It will look exactly as skinny as a 255/85 since the aspect ratio is the same. Basically just a shrunk down a bit version of that 255/85 size.

You can find our arguments for the benifets of tall and skinny in the 255/85R16 thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveology View Post
HUH?
I thought that sounded crazy at first too but I believe what he is saying is the tire will have the same width/height ratios, not necessarily the same width and height. Though I don't think it will look the same since even though the ratio is the same 255 is wider and would therefore look meatier to me.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #23
tubesock has a spectacular aura abouttubesock has a spectacular aura about
tubesock's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylan View Post
It is almost a win win win, but not quite. I have about 10,000 miles on them now and my avg gas mileage went from 22mpg with the stock tires to about 17mpg with the new setup. The road noise compared to a Duratrac in a 265 or 285 is probably much less, but it is still quite a bit more then stock, which I knew, but just be aware.

My theory on the gas mileage is the weight of the tire. That isn't the only thing, but it is the one thing I didn't think about ahead of time. I had the same win win win thought as you, but the duratrac only comes in that size in an E rated tire at 51lbs each. That is 11 lbs more then the slightly wider ones in a C rating. This could be because I run a 4 banger and getting these things moving is more taxing... Maybe the 6 cyl will handle them much better.

Good luck with the setup, in the end I am happy I did it and the good outweighs, but it wasn't as cut and dry as I thought it would be.
That's a surprisingly large drop in fuel economy. I've done a little digging around and I've concluded based on some studies i found of freight trucks that rolling resistance is the biggest factor between tires of the same size. Weight does play a factor, but but only during acceleration. Once you are at speed it will not make any difference. I found a pretty interesting calculator at a hypermiler website http://ecomodder.com/forum/tool-aero...resistance.php

The stock tires are 245/75 dunlop grandtrek at20s which are supposed to be very efficient in terms of rolling resistance.. of course they blow at everything else. Anyway, my assumption is that aggressive mud tires would double the rolling resistance.

If that calculator is correct then doubling the rolling resistance will generate about a 15% drop in fuel economy at 60mph. Which is way more than I would have expected.

Also this article basically explains everything I just said but much better and also has pictures. I wish I found this article before i did all that research and wrote all the other shit in this post. Too late now.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...y/viewall.html
Quote:
Test Results
We were floored at the difference the tread patterns made. Our 182-mile loop delivered 14.929 mpg on the Cepek FC-IIs[mud tires] and 17.160 on the Michelin LTXs[all-season tires], a difference of 2.231 mpg, or 15 percent.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #24
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSkynyrd View Post
I thought that sounded crazy at first too but I believe what he is saying is the tire will have the same width/height ratios, not necessarily the same width and height. Though I don't think it will look the same since even though the ratio is the same 255 is wider and would therefore look meatier to me.
Ya I just mean it will look like a smaller version of a 255/85R16. A smaller 'tall and skinny'.

It will look a bit less meaty for being smaller, but it will not look disproportionately skinny as opposed to a 255/85. Just smaller.

Correct I do not mean it is the same width or height.