Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

265 vs 285????

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #21
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Less feelings of being rejected....

... by TOYOTA WARRANTY! Ask Silverback!
Old 02-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #22
se7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to behold

se7en's Tacoma Gallery
I put 285/60/18's on mine. Rubbed until I took off the mud guards. Now, less of a rub, but still some on the front of the fender while in reverse only. Will trim there this weekend...and all will be good.

Now, for wheelin' purposes, she'd rub like hell on the very top but nowhere else because the wheel won't stuff all the way up, so no heavy stuff is in my future. But the plan is for a 1.5" lift so in 99.99% of my daily driving I won't rub and what VERY LITTLE wheelin' I might do, I'll have to limit it to the light duty stuff, but the extra 1.5" will be sufficient for me. Shamefully, she's a mall crawler...but looks bitchin'
Old 02-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #23
Not your average girl
yotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Small town firefighter EMT
Name: Katie
yotanator's Tacoma Gallery
I have 285/75/R16 Mickey Thompsons on mine that I got as a gift two years ago. I did have to do some fender trimming and had to take the mud flaps off to get them to fit. I barely get any rub at all, just when I'm really cranking the wheel while in reverse. I don't do a whole lot of off roading so they work for me.

I do like the stance of the 285s and my tires have treated me well. I had them put on in November or October of 2007 and they are still going fine. The bad part was they were pricey.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #24
Yota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant futureYota_dvl has a brilliant future
Name: Jesse
Yota_dvl's Tacoma Gallery
with the leveling kit i have there's no rubbin with 285's and they've held up for me
Old 02-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #25
se7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to behold

se7en's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benca1 View Post
what about running 275's ?? like a 275/70/17
You'll need to trim, I'm afraid. Those will be over 32" tall which is 1.5" larger in diameter over stock. That's 3/4" more in the fender wells already tight clearances. Maybe with stock wheels you can get away with it, but not with new wheels. Stocks are 7.5" wide where most new ones will be 8-9"...that's where the issues start.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #26

se7en's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota_dvl View Post
with the leveling kit i have there's no rubbin with 285's and they've held up for me
On and off road? On road, I agree, but off road I would think they would rub a little...particularly if you stuff 'em!
Old 02-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #27
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPilot View Post
Tsenekos you are running 265/75/16s right?
yes Iam
Old 02-11-2010, 06:00 AM   #28
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

headhunter247's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks all for the info so far...and look forward to more opinions...
Old 02-11-2010, 06:36 AM   #29
Ainokea
RecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
RecklessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Well here is a good example. I had 285/70/17 BFG AT's for the last three years. And now it was time to change. we off road a lot and with the 285's there was a lot of rubbing even with the spacer lift. We went a couple days ago and got some new tires and wheels, and this time i went with 32x11.5-17 BFG Mud's and i love the look and the discont tire shop said that there is a minimal difference in the two tire sizes. The 32x11.5's were 1/2in. shorter and a quarter inch wider so not to much difference but you can tell that there is less rubbing. Those 285's have literally ripped the shit out of my fenders. My sig shows the 285's and here are a couple pics of the new tires and rims
Attached Thumbnails
265 vs 285????-my-truck-new-rims-tires.jpg   265 vs 285????-trucks-new-rims-tires.jpg  
Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #30
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
285s for sure. I don't offroad much and i had to trim the back and front of my fenders and wheel well. since the trimming, no rubbing at all, but I might if I took it offroad stuffed them all the way in there.

after i trimmed, I rotated the wheels until they were the closest to the fenders/wheel wells and I had my wife watched while I shook the heck out of the vehicle and that's when I knew I had trimmed enough, is if it didn't hit anything. I did this on both sides.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #31
bisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant future

bisdak10's Tacoma Gallery
if u drive high miles/week. stick with 265, i got 285's and damn the mileage is really bad. and the trimming on the fenders. as of today i still hear the rubbing goin on when i back up or entering a raised street/driveway.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #32
Give 'er
wtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
wtbthree's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisdak10 View Post
if u drive high miles/week. stick with 265, i got 285's and damn the mileage is really bad. and the trimming on the fenders. as of today i still hear the rubbing goin on when i back up or entering a raised street/driveway.
I'm running 285s currently and have started doing much more highway driving due to relocating for school - and yea, the mileage is brutal. I'm wondering what difference in mpg you noticed when getting 285s? I bought my truck with them and I'm getting about 16mpg combined, sometimes less ~15.4. I'm thinking about moving back to 265s, but only if the difference will be worth the money, It sure seems like it would
Old 05-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #33
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have 265s with lift and get around 17-18 regularly.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #34
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
265/70R17's with a small lift and push 20 MPG commuting. Slightly less on the long highway trips.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #35
toyotaT32 is on a distinguished road

Name: Thomas
toyotaT32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbthree View Post
I'm running 285s currently and have started doing much more highway driving due to relocating for school - and yea, the mileage is brutal. I'm wondering what difference in mpg you noticed when getting 285s? I bought my truck with them and I'm getting about 16mpg combined, sometimes less ~15.4. I'm thinking about moving back to 265s, but only if the difference will be worth the money, It sure seems like it would

Depending on how I drive my MPG varies... Im running 265's and the best I got was 17.2 mpg.....
Old 05-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #36
06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kev
06tacomakev's Tacoma Gallery
This is a great thread as I am in this boat too. I have been running 265/75 dunlop xt rovers for a year now, on the stock 16 inch wheel.
I wanted to do a wheel upgrade but like many have found, the not many options in a 16.Without waiting three to four months. I have sent two sets of wheels back now and have decided to go the 17 inch route. Probably Fuel Octanes.
I thought about jumping up a tire size in the process but I don't know if it would be worth it. I drive 30-50 km a day and really do not want to lose the mileage. I am lifted three inches and like the space in the wheelwells.
I noticed that the duratracs at 265/75r17 look bigger than most other similarly sized tires.
hmmm
Old 05-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #37
06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kev
06tacomakev's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
265/70R17's with a small lift and push 20 MPG commuting. Slightly less on the long highway trips.
How tall does the 265/70r17 end up being and what type tire?
Old 05-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tacomakev View Post
This is a great thread as I am in this boat too. I have been running 265/75 dunlop xt rovers for a year now, on the stock 16 inch wheel.
I wanted to do a wheel upgrade but like many have found, the not many options in a 16.Without waiting three to four months. I have sent two sets of wheels back now and have decided to go the 17 inch route. Probably Fuel Octanes.
I thought about jumping up a tire size in the process but I don't know if it would be worth it. I drive 30-50 km a day and really do not want to lose the mileage. I am lifted three inches and like the space in the wheelwells.
I noticed that the duratracs at 265/75r17 look bigger than most other similarly sized tires.
hmmm
I'd say they are a little bigger. I put spider trax spacers on mine because they were less than a half inch from rubbing the spindles. They actually rubbed a few times when at highway speeds on a good on ramp.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #39
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
https://www.treadwright.com/p-53-285...den-a-t-d.aspx