Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

265 vs 285????

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #41
06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kev
06tacomakev's Tacoma Gallery
So I am going with the duratracs in a 265/70 r17.
Went down to the shop today and hassled with them.
I put a 265/70 duratrac up beside my 265/75 dunlop and wow. Much bigger. That will be enough tire for me. They go on Friday. Just going to run Black Daytona steelies
The shop made the appropriate phone calls to confirm everything will fit so I am stoked!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #42
phantomblackgto is on a distinguished road
Name: Martin
phantomblackgto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tacomakev View Post
How tall does the 265/70r17 end up being and what type tire?
265/70/17 Duratracs show 31.7" tall. Most 265/70/17's that I've checked show about the same size. I've checked quite a few different 265/70/17 tires with a range from 31.6" - 31.9". While there aren't as many choices as a 265/70/17, 275/70/17's all seem to run right at 32.2". The stock Bridgestone H/T's that came on my truck show 30.6", same as the other stock tire on these trucks, the Dunlop Grandtrek's.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #43
06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kev
06tacomakev's Tacoma Gallery
Actually, the dunlops on my truck are measuring 31.5 inches for a 265/75 and when i put the 265/70 duratrac next to it, there was a considerable difference in height. Cant wait to get them on the truck
To be honest, buying wheels and tires was such a pain.
Glad it is over
Old 05-25-2012, 06:41 AM   #44
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
^ After trimming, my 285's sound like they still want to rip the fenders off while offroading.

I was thinking hard about trading a guy so I can go back down to 265's but decided that I'd stick it out.
If it sounds like that then you have not trimmed propperly.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #45
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
If it sounds like that then you have not trimmed propperly.
Or

He wheels harder then you

I know a local guy who has 285's and he has beat in his fire wall, cut and beat his pinch weld, has a cab mount chop, mud flaps removed, 1" body lift, and still rubs the piss out of his tires when we wheel.

IMO 285's are for mall crawlers or people willing to do a TON of modifications in order to not rub.

I rub with my 265/70/17's on stock wheels so whats that tell you?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #46
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Or

He wheels harder then you

I know a local guy who has 285's and he has beat in his fire wall, cut and beat his pinch weld, has a cab mount chop, mud flaps removed, 1" body lift, and still rubs the piss out of his tires when we wheel.

IMO 285's are for mall crawlers or people willing to do a TON of modifications in order to not rub.

I rub with my 265/70/17's on stock wheels so whats that tell you?
Tells me you need to add caster and an axle relocate plate. I rubbed till I went up to over 3 in caster. No way you could get 265/70r17 to rub in my fenders. Those are the. most important things people never discuss on this forum. Also its not enough to remove mud flaps... you have to cut back the plastic and metal they are affixed to.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #47
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Tells me you need to add caster and an axle relocate plate. I rubbed till I went up to over 3 in caster. No way you could get 265/70r17 to rub in my fenders. Those are the. most important things people never discuss on this forum. Also its not enough to remove mud flaps... you have to cut back the plastic and metal they are affixed to.
Caster is at 2.6* currently down from previous 3.0*

Front axle relocation plates say what

My tires don't rub my fenders. They rub my frame and LCA. The only way to stop that is decrease turning radius (add to steering stop) or POS wheel spacers or new wheels.

I know quite a few people who rub with 265/70/17's in the same place. Do you have your sway bar on? Stock bump stops? Stock UCA's? Are you beating it pretty good?

I know at least 10 people on TW that would totally disagree with the mud flap comment and have seen me rip mine off more then once.

I did trim the shit out of them in the front as well as taking at least 4-5" off in height, added structural silicone to the backsides, and aftermarket (very strong) body clips to them - they still ripped off all the time.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #48
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Caster is at 2.6* currently down from previous 3.0*

Front axle relocation plates say what

My tires don't rub my fenders. They rub my frame and LCA. The only way to stop that is decrease turning radius (add to steering stop) or POS wheel spacers or new wheels.

I know quite a few people who rub with 265/70/17's in the same place. Do you have your sway bar on? Stock bump stops? Stock UCA's? Are you beating it pretty good?

I know at least 10 people on TW that would totally disagree with the mud flap comment and have seen me rip mine off more then onceandd trim the shit out of them in the front as well as taking at least 4-5" off in height, added structural silicone to the backsides, and aftermarket (very strong) body clips to them - they still ripped off all the time.
Axle relocation plates are for the rear to clear 285s. To keep tires from contating fron of fender.

I think you misread what I said... you have to remove the mudflaps... then cut back the metal and plastic behind them too because it will rub that too. Also of course you need wheels with proper back space and I have aftermarket uca as well and stock bumps
Old 05-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #49
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter247 View Post
I would like to see some discussion as to why I should get 285 vs 265. I dont mind the gaps with a 2.5 lift in the front. I drive 95% highway and commute 340+ mi a week. Are they worth the extra costs?
I like you also have a long commute 280-350 miles/week.
I got the best of both worlds by having two sets of tires & wheels.
I run the stock Dungflops when commuting.
And put on the 255/85/16 BFG KM2s for wheeling. No rubbing or trimming (still running all four mud flaps) and < $900 out the door for the set. The only drawbacks are looking at the truck after putting the Dungflops back on & caring 2 spares when wheeling.