1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiggle/wobbble in steering wheel after lifting?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by mjmsms69, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Apr 4, 2008 at 3:48 PM
    mjmsms69

mjmsms69 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma double cab
    custom wheels tonneau cover bed liner nerf bars
    I have an 02 double cab Tacoma and I took it to my offroad supply guy today for a new Bull Bar and Steps. I told the guy that I was considering lifting my truck 3" and he told me that EVERY Tacoma he has ever lifted wound up having the dreaded steering wheel wiggle. He told me that this occurs because Tacomas have rack and pinion steering and there is no way to put a steering stabilizer on the truck. I have a 97 Wrangler with a 2.5" suspension lift with 33" BF Goodrich tires. It is a skyjacker system and I had the same trouble with steering wheel wiggle and finally after the tires had about 70000 miles on them, they ran smooth. I have a local tire shop that just got a new state of the art balancer and with new tires on the front, a professional balance, and an alignment, the steering wheel no longer wiggles. I do know that if the tires are large, a steering stabilizer is a necessity, so now I don't know whether or not I'm still considering lifting the truck or not. I am very fussy and I know that I could not deal with that damn wiggle. Has anyone out there figured out what to do about this???????

2. Apr 4, 2008 at 10:09 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    On my 08 it only happens at around 45-50mph. other than that feels like stock steering... but with agressive 33's

3. Apr 7, 2008 at 10:13 AM
    tacoGrande

tacoGrande Member

Member:
    Bellevue, NE
    Vehicle:
    silver 02' Prerunner xtra cab
    Working on it.........
    Do you have wheel spacers? Some are not hub-centric (keeps the wheel centered on the hub as opposed to the lug nuts) and will cause the same type of problem.

4. May 5, 2008 at 4:55 PM
    ellsworth

ellsworth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    08' off rd 6 speed
    6 inch Fabtech, st stabilizers, 18x9 DC -1s 305/65/18 bfg at's
    I bought my tires from a mail order (4-wheel parts) and they static balanced my 33's...A static balance!!!!! ARE u freakin kidding me....So, luckily my friends shop has a road force balancer and he re-balanced the wheels and got rid of the "torsional nibble".. wheel is smooth.. as for centering rings alot of aft-mkt wheels with 6 lugs do rely on lug centric centering...with 6 lugs its actualy pretty standard.

Products Discussed in

To Top