Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Goodyear Wrangler DURATRAC's

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2014, 07:10 AM   #1761
RESIST
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
I've had 265-75-16 load c duratracs for about 15-20k miles so far. They seem to be wearing well. Still lots of tread left.

I have noticed with snow it depends on the type whether they handle well or not. If it's a light fluffy snow then they have terrible traction. If the snow is heavier and the tire can grab then they're alright. Personally I wouldn't consider them a 'great' snow tire. There was literally times when my wife's Acura TSX handled the same conditions better than mine while I was in 4wd.

They cut through deep puddles at high speed very well. They do not have great traction on simple wet roads. I find myself having to be overly cautious going around turns when the roads are wet. It either wants to plow forward or kick the ass end out. From a stop the rear lets loose entirely to easy. I've been in a few precarious situations when I was trying to pull out into an intersection and the tires just wouldn't grab.

Dry conditions they run really well and have good traction. Not horribly noisy, but definitely a noticeable hum. After rotating sometimes they will do the wawa until they've worn a little. They run well on the highway without too much 'loose' feeling from the tread or larger side walls.

Forgot to mention. I don't do any extreme off roading, but I take it up in the mountains and the mud. The duratracs do very well in those conditions. Bite right in.

Overall I'm happy with them. They look really good, handle well under normal conditions, and they're not too noisy. I just wish they had better wet and fluffy snow traction.

They are way better than the BFGoodrich that came stock on my last Tacoma.

When it comes time to buy new tires I may or may not get another set. If I find something that looks as good but is known to handle better, then I will get those.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:54 PM   #1762
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaare View Post
just curious if you had C or E rated tires.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Great info.

Next month I will probably get Duratracs E rated.
Mine was load range C.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:45 PM   #1763
Slizzy will become famous soon enough

Slizzy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
I've had 265-75-16 load c duratracs for about 15-20k miles so far. They seem to be wearing well. Still lots of tread left.

I have noticed with snow it depends on the type whether they handle well or not. If it's a light fluffy snow then they have terrible traction. If the snow is heavier and the tire can grab then they're alright. Personally I wouldn't consider them a 'great' snow tire. There was literally times when my wife's Acura TSX handled the same conditions better than mine while I was in 4wd.

They cut through deep puddles at high speed very well. They do not have great traction on simple wet roads. I find myself having to be overly cautious going around turns when the roads are wet. It either wants to plow forward or kick the ass end out. From a stop the rear lets loose entirely to easy. I've been in a few precarious situations when I was trying to pull out into an intersection and the tires just wouldn't grab.

Dry conditions they run really well and have good traction. Not horribly noisy, but definitely a noticeable hum. After rotating sometimes they will do the wawa until they've worn a little. They run well on the highway without too much 'loose' feeling from the tread or larger side walls.

Forgot to mention. I don't do any extreme off roading, but I take it up in the mountains and the mud. The duratracs do very well in those conditions. Bite right in.

Overall I'm happy with them. They look really good, handle well under normal conditions, and they're not too noisy. I just wish they had better wet and fluffy snow traction.

They are way better than the BFGoodrich that came stock on my last Tacoma.

When it comes time to buy new tires I may or may not get another set. If I find something that looks as good but is known to handle better, then I will get those.
I'm confused by your snow comments...

So ur saying light fluffy snow aka dry snow is worst

And heavy snow aka wet snow is better?

I dunno where u live (tapatalk) but out here on the west in the mountains the drier the snow the better...

The wet stuff fills the treads and I feel my old BFG KO's self cleaned better than the dura's but the duras are a mean looking snow tire ( needed where I live by law/or chains in truck) so there are compromises haha...

Anyways just trying to understand you, but we are saying the same thing... Depends on the snow lol
Old 02-13-2014, 05:01 AM   #1764
RESIST
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slizzy View Post
I'm confused by your snow comments...

So ur saying light fluffy snow aka dry snow is worst

And heavy snow aka wet snow is better?

I dunno where u live (tapatalk) but out here on the west in the mountains the drier the snow the better...

The wet stuff fills the treads and I feel my old BFG KO's self cleaned better than the dura's but the duras are a mean looking snow tire ( needed where I live by law/or chains in truck) so there are compromises haha...

Anyways just trying to understand you, but we are saying the same thing... Depends on the snow lol
The experience that I've had with last 2 winters has been when it's a light really fluffy dry snow is when they handle badly. It's like driving on ice. I don't think it's an issue of cleaning the snow from the treads, as much an issue of the tire gripping. When the snow is heavier (wet) it's been my experience that they grip and bite in better. More overall control of the truck.

It's snowing as I type. About 7-8" so far. I'll report back after I take the truck out and let you know how it did.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:16 AM   #1765
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
i bought some Duratracs before the snow started flying
i absolutely love driving in the snow (if no one else is around me, doing this: )
i go out driving in it every time it falls

i've gone through the wet/dry/light/heavy/packed/loose/fluffy/slushey/etc. snow
gone through snow higher than the diffs... loves it
gone over National Forest trails that were, literally, just a 6" sheet of ice
i can't think of a snowy/icey condition that i haven't thoroughly treaded over with them
they far exceed what i thought a tire was capable of doing in every scenario

i've only unintentionally had the back-end kick-out bad on me once; and it grabbed / i regained control the second i took my foot off the gas
and there's been quite a few times where i'll mat it around corners, to intentionally try get it to kick-out, and it didn't...
Edit: i suppose i should clarify i was in 4wd with 200lbs in the bed in these scenarios

i don't mean to contradict or say the other poster is wrong
just sharing my experience/opinion of the tire

Another Edit: oh, one thing that did unpleasantly surprise me is when i chained them up, some permanent indentations were left on the treads
not too big of a deal... if the rubber was harder it probably wouldn't do as well in the snow/ice
i'm alright with that compromise
Old 02-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #1766
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
just got Duratracs installed only a few miles on them but love them so far....so sun out today so contrast sucks
Old 02-16-2014, 05:33 AM   #1767
Skunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Skunkman's Tacoma Gallery
I just got 235-85-16's in load range E's,and put them on some TRD rims. I was running 285-70-17 BFG AT's up till then. I liked the BFG's, as they floated on top of the deep snow,but they just slid around too much in normal driving conditions. The Duratracks are completely different, they go down through the snow, and bite. I am very happy with them, and wish we would have installed them sooner. I run around mostly in 2 wheel drive, with a lot of weight in the back, and very rarely have 2 use 4 WD now while working in the city with unplowed side streets.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:29 AM   #1768
Hawkeye888 will become famous soon enoughHawkeye888 will become famous soon enough

Hawkeye888's Tacoma Gallery
skunkman you should post photos of that size mounted up.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:22 AM   #1769
mistaare is on a distinguished road
mistaare's Tacoma Gallery
Skunk - what size rims (width, offset, BS or Stock?) where you running with 285/70 17's? Any trimming?

I am thinking of going form 265/70 17 to 285/70's.

Any pic's of the 285's mounted?
Old 02-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #1770
dakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dakota
dakotasyota's Tacoma Gallery
Got my new duratracs on friday 285/70R17 and then saturday got dumped on. I was powering through things in two wheel drive no problem. Compared to my old Cooper A/T's these tires are awesome!! Plus they look badass!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #1771
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotasyota View Post
Got my new duratracs on friday 285/70R17 and then saturday got dumped on. I was powering through things in two wheel drive no problem. Compared to my old Cooper A/T's these tires are awesome!! Plus they look badass!
What size rims are you running with 285/70's? Any pics?

What kind of Cooper A/T's? I am debating between these and St Maxx's.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #1772
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What size rims are you running with 285/70's? Any pics?

What kind of Cooper A/T's? I am debating between these and St Maxx's.
uhh 285/70/r17....that'd be a 17" wheel
Old 02-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #1773
Skunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Skunkman's Tacoma Gallery
I only had a couple pictures of the 285's,and they were from when I was selling them. I had them on Moto Metal 9 " rims, with 4.5 backspacing. The truck has a full 3" + in the front,with 885 X on 5100's set at zero, and a lean spacer plus a top plate spacer. I had to trim, the plastic inner fender on the front pretty hard on both sides, and would still rub when backing up at full lock. Other than that no issues, except they were too much tire for my 4 banger, and the BFG AT's stuck out to far, and held so many stones it was sandblasting my truck. Much happier with the Duratracs in 235-85-16 and put them on a set of stock TRD OR wheels.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #1774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
uhh 285/70/r17....that'd be a 17" wheel
I am sorry, I should have been more specific. What offset and back spacing were on the rims you were running when you had 285/70 17's.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #1775
dakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dakota
dakotasyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am sorry, I should have been more specific. What offset and back spacing were on the rims you were running when you had 285/70 17's.

I was running stock trd off-road wheels before on 265/70R16 Cooper's, and I'm unsure what offset and bs those had. Those coopers were the Discoverer A/T3 and I hated them. Did awful in snow and mud. The MAXX's look better though...
I'm unsure of the back spacing on my new rims but no problems with them. The offset is -12. This is what I got: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...=352&typ=Truck
Old 02-17-2014, 05:09 PM   #1776
...It Hurts when I Pee...
AWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: PJ: JSOC
Name: Doc
AWF ROWD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotasyota View Post
I was running stock trd off-road wheels before on 265/70R16 Cooper's, and I'm unsure what offset and bs those had. Those coopers were the Discoverer A/T3 and I hated them. Did awful in snow and mud. The MAXX's look better though...
I'm unsure of the back spacing on my new rims but no problems with them. The offset is -12. This is what I got: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...=352&typ=Truck
-12mm offset is around a 4.53" BS...
Old 02-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #1777
PnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B Infantryman (Vet.)
Name: chris
PnoyBOS5's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent in Snow.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:21 PM   #1778
vantacothoma is on a distinguished road
vantacothoma's Tacoma Gallery
It was gettin late but the boys wanted some fire wood, I'd say 20 minutes into the woods on a quad trail in fresh champagne pow, then pulling a u turn at the top of the hill with an empty bed in 4by was pretty damn impressive. 285/70/17's mind blown
Attached Thumbnails
Goodyear Wrangler DURATRAC's-image.jpg  
Old 02-18-2014, 11:41 PM   #1779
cmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shed
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
The Duratracs have been great so far!

Old 03-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #1780
Hans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hans Moleman's Tacoma Gallery
I just 265/75/16 C Duratrac installed today. 3 tires took a lot of weight to balance and 1 had a tiny little weight. There are no vibrations but I was surprised at the amount of weight it took to balance them.

Products Discussed in this Thread