Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

8 ply vs 10 ply

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Eesh is on a distinguished road
Eesh's Tacoma Gallery
Question 8 ply vs 10 ply

How many people here are using an E load range tire? How are they on the highway? I really want Goodyear Duratracs in 295 65 18. But they only come in an E load rating . Do you think there is a noticable difference between an (D) 8 ply and a (E) 10 ply tire?
Old 02-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
dylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-Santa Clara County
Name: Dylan
dylandercole's Tacoma Gallery
woops didnt mean to press reply yet. to continue its not bad at all in the e range.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
stenyeart is on a distinguished road
Name: Sean
stenyeart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eesh View Post
How many people here are using an E load range tire? How are they on the highway? I really want Goodyear Duratracs in 295 65 18. But they only come in an E load rating . Do you think there is a noticable difference between an (E) 8 ply and a (D) 10 ply tire?
D is 8 ply and E is 10 ply.

I have owned sets of both and have not noticed a difference. My current tires are an E rating. This really is not an issue for a compact truck. If you had a full size diesel and did a lot of towing or you do some exteme off roading, you would want to make sure you had an e rated tire.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
Eesh is on a distinguished road
Eesh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stenyeart View Post
D is 8 ply and E is 10 ply.

I have owned sets of both and have not noticed a difference. My current tires are an E rating. This really is not an issue for a compact truck. If you had a full size diesel and did a lot of towing or you do some exteme off roading, you would want to make sure you had an e rated tire.

So are you saying that its not a big deal if I was to buy an E rated tire?
Old 02-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
I have e rated Duratracs and love them. I have found that a 10 ply tire last longer on a lighter truck. Got 70K out of a set of BFG's on my old 97 in the e load range. Overall you might give up a little due to weight however I get 19 MPG with a 3" OME lift and 265/70/16 10 ply duratracs.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
I have E 10 plies and they ride nice on the hwy @ 40psi but they are a heavy tire that are are over kill on a tacoma and it hurts gas mileage abit too