Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Hub-Centric Wheel Spacers - where can I get um?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
tacoGrande is on a distinguished road

tacoGrande's Tacoma Gallery
Hub-Centric Wheel Spacers - where can I get um?

I know some of you are running wheel spacers on your 05-08 Tacoma 4x4's. I have 1 1/4" spacers on my 06 right now, but they are the wrong type. They center the wheel on the lugs instead of the hubs. So I have a constant wobble from 40-55 mph. I had the wheels balanced several times at different places and no change. Who sells 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" hub-centric spacers that fit the 06 Tacoma 4x4's? I checked a few websites and the hub-centric spacers that they have do not work for the 05-08's.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
www.spidertrax.com i'm looking into getting some. they have a good reputation from what i've heard, and the have both hub and lug centric. hope this helps....here's the link http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.169/.f
Old 04-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #3

Thanks. Those seem to be the best bet. I am going to pick some up in the next couple of weeks. I will update when I get them on my truck.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Northern Alliance: padawan
RoadKill is on a distinguished road

RoadKill's Tacoma Gallery
To my knowledge all wheels on all cars have to be centered by the lugs and thats why the nuts are all tapered also.
A mag with a bigger axle hole would be able to center itself with no wobble just by having the same nut patern even if not recomended.

Did you use your mag nuts on the spacer and supplied spacer nuts on the mag? could it be?
There could also be an imperfection on the spacer
Old 04-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #5

My original lug nuts are still being used to hold my wheels on the spacers. I emailed Spidertrax to verify that the 06 Tacoma's are hub-centric and need a hub-centric spacer, and Ross Stanford (their sales manager) said that is correct. They offer 2 seperate types of spacers for Tacoma's depending on the year. Newer models are all hubcentric and so the spacer they offer for those has a raised circle in the center of the spacer that properly aligns the hub of the wheel. The improper type which I was sold at the tire shop I bought my tires from months ago is flat on the surface making it lug-centric. For months I have had a wobble that rotating tires, rebalancing, and checking lug torque has not solved. Finally I caught wind of the wheels being hub-centric and am anxious to order the new spacers and try them out. The Spidertrax part # for the correct 1-1/4" wheel spacer for newer Tacoma's is WHS-007. I will update when I get the new spacers on.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
das56170 is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1st Lieutenant
das56170's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoGrande View Post
My original lug nuts are still being used to hold my wheels on the spacers. I emailed Spidertrax to verify that the 06 Tacoma's are hub-centric and need a hub-centric spacer, and Ross Stanford (their sales manager) said that is correct. They offer 2 seperate types of spacers for Tacoma's depending on the year. Newer models are all hubcentric and so the spacer they offer for those has a raised circle in the center of the spacer that properly aligns the hub of the wheel. The improper type which I was sold at the tire shop I bought my tires from months ago is flat on the surface making it lug-centric. For months I have had a wobble that rotating tires, rebalancing, and checking lug torque has not solved. Finally I caught wind of the wheels being hub-centric and am anxious to order the new spacers and try them out. The Spidertrax part # for the correct 1-1/4" wheel spacer for newer Tacoma's is WHS-007. I will update when I get the new spacers on.
How wide are your rims. Mine are 16 x 7, and some people have told me that they might be narrow to run 285/75r16 which are about 11.2" wide. I wanted to put these tires on my stock rims and use a spacer, instead of getting new wheels.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #7

I am still running the factory TRD Sport wheels which I believe are 17 x 7-1/2". I'm sure they recommend a wider rim for the tires I have now, but I have not had any problems with the rims being a little narrower yet and I've had the 33 x 12.50's since last July or August, and do some intermediate off-roading
Old 04-22-2008, 08:10 AM   #8

Exclamation Success at last

I ordered up the hub-centric spacers from Spidertrax and got them yesterday. They make an extremely nice product. Well worth the price. The spacers even came with loc-tite in the box for the spacer bolts. I put on the spacers and noticed right away they fit perfectly snug with the hubs on the truck and the hub of the wheel. I went for a drive and noticed a difference right away. The wobble that had been driving me out of my mind is completely gone. Lesson learned: Make sure your spacers are hubcentric on the newer Tacoma's.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:07 AM   #9
Drew793 will become famous soon enoughDrew793 will become famous soon enough

Drew793's Tacoma Gallery
I got my wheel spacers from Datinfab.com (e-bay) for about $65 per pair.
I am very happy with them. They are hub centric but I belive that the lugs do most of the centering. I have the 1.5" on front and rear and they bring the tire out far enough that the tread is even with the edge of the fender.. They give the stock wheels/rims on my 2008 TRD a more agressive look and also provide better cornering with the added 3" to the overall width. No vibration of wobble.

Glad to hear the yours worked out ok.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #11

Hubcentric definately makes a difference. If you call most reputable wheel shops they will tell you that hubcentric means that the wheel centers on the hubs, not the lugs. This is not just my theory, I learned it the hard way.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #12
Drew793 will become famous soon enoughDrew793 will become famous soon enough

Drew793's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoGrande View Post
Hubcentric definately makes a difference. If you call most reputable wheel shops they will tell you that hubcentric means that the wheel centers on the hubs, not the lugs. This is not just my theory, I learned it the hard way.

Same here. I got the SpiderTrax hubcentric spacers and they're great. No vibration.

Previously had the Datinfab that I bought from E-bay that weren't hub centric and started sxperiencing vibration.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:23 PM   #13
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
fwiw marlin crawler makes some too
Old 07-09-2009, 04:15 AM   #14
Tacomaa1
tacomaa1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chad
tacomaa1's Tacoma Gallery
hey, did you get the 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers ? I'm getting ready to install 285/75/16 nitto Terra grapplers on my 05 taco 4x4 with my 3" ez lift and i just wanted to know if the 1.25" spacer would be the correct thickness to clear the Upper control arms while also not sticking out of the wheel well and looking silly? let me know what you think.. thanks. chad
Old 07-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #15
adamrsu is on a distinguished road
adamrsu's Tacoma Gallery
Dude this thread is over a year old. But yeah, that'll work well with what you're doing. I've got the same basic setup and I'm about to buy some spacers my self. 1.25 inch or 1.5 inch will be perfect for what you're looking for.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #16
OldG is on a distinguished road
OldG's Tacoma Gallery
I purchased the spidertrax spacers also, a little more pricey, a quality product, very happy

at highway speeds no wobble
Old 07-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #17
MUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to all

MUDFISH's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have pics of stock Tacos with spacers? I'd like to see how that looks...
Old 08-04-2009, 03:39 AM   #18
Tacomaa1
tacomaa1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chad
tacomaa1's Tacoma Gallery
here's another question.. I've decided to buy wheels with 4.5 backspacing instead of buying the spidertrax, only cuz i found a really good deal on procomp 7089s. anyway, the 7089 procomp wheel is offered in a hub centric version part#6838 or a lug centric version 6883 for the same price, which do i buy for my 05 Taco? one of the guys on here has a set of these on his 2nd GEn Taco and he says I need lug centric wheels so that's what I was going to order, any thoughts ? thanks.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:10 AM   #19
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
hub centric version