1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ordering new tires, do I need tpms rebuilt kit & valve stems?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by mountain lion, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Feb 16, 2010 at 8:57 PM
    mountain lion

mountain lion [OP] Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    URD TCAI, MAF Cal, o2 Sim, DT Headers
    My stock tires are finally shot and I'm planning on getting some new rubber from Discount Tire Direct. (265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2 s available for $160/tire shipped after rebate which seems like a killer price).

So, question is, they offer optional items at checkout, valve stems $3 which I'm sure any tire shop will replace if requested along with the TPMS rebuild kit which is also $3/each. I'm not sure what this is for, but do I need it or will the place I go know what to do and have the supplies for the TPMS?

If I can get all this from the local place that will mount these I'll just do that and get only the tires online.

On another note, who's recommended for mounting - there are plenty of shops around here locally...Goodyear, Firestone, Walmart (worth the risk?), dealership, etc. Just go with whoever is cheapest? I've heard some horror stories from WM, but I'm sure any shop can screw up.

2. Feb 16, 2010 at 10:40 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    When I had to replace on of my wheels that got bent after a construction truck dropped debris on the freeway in front of me, the tire shope (Discount Tires) sold and installed the new TPMS rebuild kit to me

3. Feb 19, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    snowmansgarage

snowmansgarage Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Offroad AC Tacoma
    I've been in the industry since TPMS were introduced and a rebuild kit or new valves stems is a waste of money and is just a way for those kind of shops to nickle and dime you. The only part of the valve stem they could replace is the core, which is pennies. As far as a "rebuild" kit for the sensors, that probably consists of an o-ring or rubber seal...again pennies.

Keep that $24 for some drinks.

4. Feb 20, 2010 at 5:28 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Is that something new for the 2010's???

I know the sensors on my truck are not location specific :confused: or even wheel specific...I've changed out wheels from steel to alloy and used the same sensors, I've rotated my tires many times, so I'm not sure what you mean.

On the Tacoma the sensors just have to be in the vicinity of the truck for them to work, our trucks don't say which specific tire is low.

The sensors that came with the truck need to stay with the truck or you have to shell out big $$ for new ones and programming.

Don't let them tell you they can't use sensors from steel wheels to alloy wheels or the other way around, they are interchangable.

There is a thread all about TPMS, but I don't know where it is right now.

5. Feb 20, 2010 at 7:05 AM
    HankB

HankB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    near Chicago
    Vehicle:
    06 Preruner TRD Off Road
    bone stock
    TPMS rebuild kit. This includes the parts required to install the TPM sensors in the wheels. If they do not remove the TPM sensors - and I can't imagine why they would - you don't need this.

Valve stems. - Your TPM sensors include valve stems so you don't need these. Some tire shops try to sell new stems when they do tire work. That way the technician can just rip out the old stem which deflates the tire faster and takes less time than pulling the valve cores. If your stems are not leaking, you probably won't need this. OTOH, there were a bunch of defective Chinese valve stems put on cars and if you have one of those, it would be good to replace them. (http://blogs.consumerreports.org/safety/2008/06/tire-valve-stem.html)

When Discount tire mounted TPM sensors and snow tires on steel wheels for me, they did the programming at no additional charge and agreed to reprogram the truck when I swap between snows and regular tires each year at no additional charge. I bought the tires, wheels and rebuild kits from them and supplied TPM sensors I bought on eBay.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Feb 20, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    kylek250

kylek250 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin tx
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner debadged Black on Silver
    pioneer stereo, nittos, buckshot rims, debadged, rhino lined skid plate, 2in lift kit, aux bed lights, painted emblem, tinted windows, k&n
    i work for discount tire. i would suggest going with the rebuilds, they are cheap insurance. also you can use the same tpms going from steel to alloy, but you run a much bigger risk of breaking your tpms. this is because the angle of the steels is much steeper than that of the alloys, and the sensors will stick straight out. i woulod suggest going with the new (correct sensors), or have them put in regular valves (as i did with my tacoma) and sisable your tpms system. it is up to you

Products Discussed in

To Top