1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do I need Tire Chains for driving in snow for a taco with off road package 2010

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by JUJtacoma2010, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Feb 23, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    JUJtacoma2010

JUJtacoma2010 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fresno
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2010 Dbl Cab. OFF Road Package
    Do I need to get tire chains for driving in snow for my truck which has a off road package?

if I need to get chains, whats a decent place to find one?

2. Feb 23, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    How deep is the snow? What's underneath it? What tires do you have? Etc?

This is hardly a yes or no question. Details.

I'm going to assume based on this question being asked in the first place that you're not a terribly experienced winter weather driver...

3. Feb 23, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    09 tacoma trd

09 tacoma trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    ontario, canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 black tacoma dbl cab trd sport
    with a set of chains you will go anywhere. they are for extreme conditions.

4. Feb 23, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    brandob9

brandob9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
    All depends on the tires, the type of snow and the terrain. For heavy snow on a mountain, get real snow tires, like Michelin's Alpins or Bridgestone's Blizzaks. For light snow on level ground, your stock Duncraps or Rugged Terrains will be fine.

Also, make sure you install the light foot mod. This is probably the most important piece.

The offroad package won't do anything for or against you in this case - all the software is designed for rocks and mud.

5. Feb 23, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Also check local laws, sometimes they don't let you, or they do require you to use chains in the right conditions...

6. Feb 23, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Yeah, no kidding. I'm always amazed by how many people think more throttle is going to somehow solve the problem when the tires break loose.

7. Feb 23, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

15 or 16" of snow = 30"?

Since 30" would be nearly the top of your tire, I think your estimates are a bit high.

8. Feb 23, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    [​IMG]

Unless your going into parts unknown???

Of coarse 4wd would of been better if that concerned

9. Feb 23, 2010 at 4:48 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    If you're planning on heading into slick conditions it'd be wise to carry chains for any vehicle. Better to have them and not need them....

Snow on its own isn't usually too bad, but when you're in a place where it snows there may well be ice. If you then get a layer of snow on top of ice, things can get really interesting, and high clearance may well enable you to get yourself into a really sticky spot.

The off road package more about protecting components on the underside and handling bumpy surfaces, while chains are for increasing grip when friction is hard to come by. When you're in a situation that calls for one, having the other won't be that much help.

Also for a Pre-Runner, I'd reccomend putting some extra weight over the rear axle. Sandbags work well and are cheap (I put some grip-liner for shelves under mine to prevent them from moving around). If 100-200 lbs of weight doesn't get it done then you'll probably need chains anyway.

10. Feb 23, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    brandob9

brandob9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
    If it's ice, get a good set of studless snowies. If you are just going up to Tahoe on US 50 or I-80, go with the snowies. There is close to no reason for the snow chains, unless you are beating a new path into the wilderness.

Trust me on this one. I'm in the snow on a weekly basis and I grew up in Minnesota. You just don't need chains if you are anywhere near civilization. Actually, let me restate that. There are many better ways of being prepared, like having the right tires, before you should resort to chains.

I can think of a couple of corner scenarios, like a cabin five miles down an unplowed and untrafficked road in the Sierras, but those are extreme events.

11. Feb 23, 2010 at 4:59 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Oh I'm sure 30" of snow fell...that's just not what you're driving through in those pictures :)

12. Feb 23, 2010 at 9:40 PM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    Where are you going? I was in Shaver last weekend and you had to carry them regardless if you are 4x4 or not...I was never stopped but there are signs everywhere up there.

I will tell you one thing, I almost lost it going about 25mph around a corner near the lake. I was only in 2wd (big mistake) and lost control. Luckily I was going slow enough to recover but I did do a 180 and ended up in the other lane. Since you are 2wd I would carry them just in case.

13. Feb 23, 2010 at 9:47 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I drove through a blizzard without chains in a Prerunner last December. Need them? Like others said, that really depends on the conditions and the driver.

14. Feb 23, 2010 at 10:15 PM
    NMG

NMG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Unless you are going into some crazy places, I don't think you need them. I've lived in central British Columbia my entire life and have never needed chains for winter driving. Heck, most winters I don't even NEED 4WD, there have been a few exceptions to that though. That being said, every winter I DO have to slow down (sometimes considerably) and drive to the ever changing conditions.

Good tires, common sense, 4WD and winter driving techniques should cover off 99.9% of the conditions you'll experience. I haven't run into that .1% yet.

15. Feb 23, 2010 at 10:20 PM
    JohnnyGato

JohnnyGato God of Thunder ...and Rock N' Roll!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vegas Island
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD SR5 V6 4x4 Off Road
    Limo tint, Sirius/XM radio, Wet Okole's, Weathertech's, Rhino Lining, blacked out badges, shorty antenna, painted speaker (tweeter) covers, blue LED running lights, Icon 3" lift, Pro Comp 17" 7005's, 33" (285/70/17) Good Year MT/R's with kevlar.
    Need chains? Try Les Schwab!

16. Feb 23, 2010 at 10:30 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.

You're a 4x2 in Southern California going through snow. You are required to use chains in winter conditions period. You will not be allowed to proceed if the CHP is requiring chains.

17. Feb 23, 2010 at 10:56 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
  18. Feb 23, 2010 at 11:07 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Yeah, I would recommend chains or cable tire chains. I picked up a decent pair of cable chains at Wal-Mart, and they work great. Also there is some good websites with good prices/selection.

I recently went up to my parents cabin and I wanted to try going up without using the chains; big mistake that was. I did get loose a little bit and had to slow it down a lot. I should have put on the chains; and there wasn't a lot of snow on the road. It took a lot longer getting up, and I felt it was unsafe because of the ledges on almost every corner.

So I put them on driving around the town, and coming back down. They work great, and I had a lot more control of the truck and more traction. So I would recommend getting some chains, and using them no matter how much snow. Also if you see a chains required sign, you have no choice but to put them on with your prerunner. Or a possibility of a ticket, hope that helps.

19. Feb 24, 2010 at 12:28 AM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    are cables better than chains?
    are those one size fits all chains they sell at walmart any good?

20. Feb 24, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    JUJtacoma2010

JUJtacoma2010 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fresno
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2010 Dbl Cab. OFF Road Package
    thanks to all for the comments. I live in Fresno, Ca. And there's is several snow parks around the mountain area here including at Yosemite. We never get snow where I live but its a good time to take kids to the snow. So I just want to be sure and safe. so I will go and pick up some snow chains. Its true that CHP would sometimes check for snow chains if the conditions are bad.

Products Discussed in

To Top