Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Do I need Tire Chains for driving in snow for a taco with off road package 2010

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
JUJtacoma2010 is on a distinguished road
JUJtacoma2010's Tacoma Gallery
Do I need Tire Chains for driving in snow for a taco with off road package 2010

Do I need to get tire chains for driving in snow for my truck which has a off road package?

if I need to get chains, whats a decent place to find one?
Old 02-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
How deep is the snow? What's underneath it? What tires do you have? Etc?

This is hardly a yes or no question. Details.

I'm going to assume based on this question being asked in the first place that you're not a terribly experienced winter weather driver...
Old 02-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
09 tacoma trd is on a distinguished road

09 tacoma trd's Tacoma Gallery
with a set of chains you will go anywhere. they are for extreme conditions.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
brandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Brandon
brandob9's Tacoma Gallery
All depends on the tires, the type of snow and the terrain. For heavy snow on a mountain, get real snow tires, like Michelin's Alpins or Bridgestone's Blizzaks. For light snow on level ground, your stock Duncraps or Rugged Terrains will be fine.

Also, make sure you install the light foot mod. This is probably the most important piece.

The offroad package won't do anything for or against you in this case - all the software is designed for rocks and mud.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Also check local laws, sometimes they don't let you, or they do require you to use chains in the right conditions...
Old 02-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandob9 View Post
Also, make sure you install the light foot mod. This is probably the most important piece.
Yeah, no kidding. I'm always amazed by how many people think more throttle is going to somehow solve the problem when the tires break loose.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
Chains - where are you planning on going? I can drive through 30" all day in my Sport no problem.

The only time I got stuck is when my wheels aren't touching the ground>

15 or 16" of snow = 30"?

Since 30" would be nearly the top of your tire, I think your estimates are a bit high.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
get a set of Goodyear Duratrac's and you'll be fine

Unless your going into parts unknown???

Of coarse 4wd would of been better if that concerned
Old 02-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #9
bmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to behold

bmgreene's Tacoma Gallery
If you're planning on heading into slick conditions it'd be wise to carry chains for any vehicle. Better to have them and not need them....

Snow on its own isn't usually too bad, but when you're in a place where it snows there may well be ice. If you then get a layer of snow on top of ice, things can get really interesting, and high clearance may well enable you to get yourself into a really sticky spot.

The off road package more about protecting components on the underside and handling bumpy surfaces, while chains are for increasing grip when friction is hard to come by. When you're in a situation that calls for one, having the other won't be that much help.

Also for a Pre-Runner, I'd reccomend putting some extra weight over the rear axle. Sandbags work well and are cheap (I put some grip-liner for shelves under mine to prevent them from moving around). If 100-200 lbs of weight doesn't get it done then you'll probably need chains anyway.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
brandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Brandon
brandob9's Tacoma Gallery
If it's ice, get a good set of studless snowies. If you are just going up to Tahoe on US 50 or I-80, go with the snowies. There is close to no reason for the snow chains, unless you are beating a new path into the wilderness.

Trust me on this one. I'm in the snow on a weekly basis and I grew up in Minnesota. You just don't need chains if you are anywhere near civilization. Actually, let me restate that. There are many better ways of being prepared, like having the right tires, before you should resort to chains.

I can think of a couple of corner scenarios, like a cabin five miles down an unplowed and untrafficked road in the Sierras, but those are extreme events.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
The picture is from 2/10/2010 @ 7:30 pm in 08021 - you look up the weather report for that night if you think it's BS. Sorry my tape measure was in the back of the truck.

2' of snow under my wheels here - oh sorry 23.375"
Oh I'm sure 30" of snow fell...that's just not what you're driving through in those pictures
Old 02-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #12
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUJtacoma2010 View Post
Do I need to get tire chains for driving in snow for my truck which has a off road package?

Where are you going? I was in Shaver last weekend and you had to carry them regardless if you are 4x4 or not...I was never stopped but there are signs everywhere up there.

I will tell you one thing, I almost lost it going about 25mph around a corner near the lake. I was only in 2wd (big mistake) and lost control. Luckily I was going slow enough to recover but I did do a 180 and ended up in the other lane. Since you are 2wd I would carry them just in case.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #13
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I drove through a blizzard without chains in a Prerunner last December. Need them? Like others said, that really depends on the conditions and the driver.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #14
NMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to all

NMG's Tacoma Gallery
Unless you are going into some crazy places, I don't think you need them. I've lived in central British Columbia my entire life and have never needed chains for winter driving. Heck, most winters I don't even NEED 4WD, there have been a few exceptions to that though. That being said, every winter I DO have to slow down (sometimes considerably) and drive to the ever changing conditions.

Good tires, common sense, 4WD and winter driving techniques should cover off 99.9% of the conditions you'll experience. I haven't run into that .1% yet.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:20 PM   #15
God of Thunder ...and Rock N' Roll!
JohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JohnnyGato's Tacoma Gallery
Need chains? Try Les Schwab!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:30 PM   #16
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUJtacoma2010 View Post

You're a 4x2 in Southern California going through snow. You are required to use chains in winter conditions period. You will not be allowed to proceed if the CHP is requiring chains.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:48 PM   #17
10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ron
10851's Tacoma Gallery
Here is some information that may answer your question.
What are the R-1, R-2 conditions that I hear about?
Although Caltrans does not post signs with these designations nor use them to announce chain controls to the public, they are used internally within Caltrans and the CHP as a kind of shorthand to describe chain restrictions and may be included in traffic reports disseminated by various news outlets.
There are three primary categories of chain restrictions, as shown below:
R-1: Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
R-2: Chains are required on all vehicles except four-wheel-drive vehicles under 6,500 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on all four wheels. Chains for one set of drive wheels must be carried by four wheel-drive vehicles using snow tires.
R-3: Chains are required on all vehicles without exception.
R-1 and R-2 are the most common conditions. A highway will often be closed before an R-3 condition is imposed. Some local areas may use variations of these designations. You must follow the directions on the signs posted for chain controls or any instructions given by Caltrans or CHP personnel at chain control check points, even if these are at variance with broadcast road condition reports or information contained herein.

What California Vehicle Code sections refer to chains?
Chain requirements are covered inthe California Vehicle Code (CVC), Section 605 and
Sections 27450 to 27503.
Hope this helps answer your question. I have had to chain 4-wheel drive with snow tires. You are required by law to carry chains even with 4-wheel drive and snow tires when driving in chain control.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:07 AM   #19
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I would recommend chains or cable tire chains. I picked up a decent pair of cable chains at Wal-Mart, and they work great. Also there is some good websites with good prices/selection.

I recently went up to my parents cabin and I wanted to try going up without using the chains; big mistake that was. I did get loose a little bit and had to slow it down a lot. I should have put on the chains; and there wasn't a lot of snow on the road. It took a lot longer getting up, and I felt it was unsafe because of the ledges on almost every corner.

So I put them on driving around the town, and coming back down. They work great, and I had a lot more control of the truck and more traction. So I would recommend getting some chains, and using them no matter how much snow. Also if you see a chains required sign, you have no choice but to put them on with your prerunner. Or a possibility of a ticket, hope that helps.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:28 AM   #20
doughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
doughboy's Tacoma Gallery
are cables better than chains?
are those one size fits all chains they sell at walmart any good?