Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Good MPG tire size for my stock 16" TRD off road wheels

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Good MPG tire size for my stock 16" TRD off road wheels

hey,
So im currently running 285/70-17s on my walker evans, and I love them, but lets say im gonna go on a long road trip to visit friends or family, and i really dont care how my truck looks, but just want to have good MPG and acceleration...what would you think if I bought a cheap set of 265/45-16s to run on my stockers?

I know it would look silly, but it would be great for those long trips to meets, family events, or general road trips. I may or may not throw my 33s in the bed if I need to off road some where.

Would my MPGs be a lot better with 265/45-16s?

flame suit on
Old 02-23-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
if ur gonna throw the walkers in there, its gonna kill the mileage anyway. a 265/70/16 will make the regular mileage better though
Old 02-24-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^ but I wanna be low rider status!!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 05:55 AM   #5
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
Get u some daytons! Lol 13's! Gold plated! That would be tight son!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:02 AM   #6
thenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud of

thenrie's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you are accurately measuring your mpg with your 33s before you do anything rash, like turning low-rider. Remember that when you increase your tire size, not only does your speedo read inaccurately, but your odometer does too. A lot of people talk about losing huge numbers on mpg with larger tires, when in fact they are still using their odometer for the mileage and getting wrong numbers. With larger tires, the odometer is reading fewer revolutions per mile, ergo it is as wrong as the speedo is. Use a GPS unit for your mileage and speed measurements and you will get an accurate mpg measurement. You might be pleasantly surprised. Also remember that at current gas prices, a 2 mpg reduction in mileage only costs you about 1 penny per mile. How many pennies will your new little tires cost? Is it worth the shame and embarrassment?
Old 02-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

^ lol true but i do use my scan gauge to read mph, set to 7% increase in speed, im only down to 14 mpg
Old 02-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
Howard Roark
Gossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud of

Gossamer's Tacoma Gallery
i put 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer STs on my stock OR wheels (along with my OME lift) and haven't seen any appreciable drop in mileage. Maybe a mile per gallon that I can tell. They ride nice and aren't too loud...and look good too. But if I were you, I'd buy a set of take off rugged trails from someone like me. I sold mine on craigslist for $250 and they only had 4500 miles on them.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
^ but I wanna be low rider status!!!!
are you serious?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
kulitxplod will become famous soon enoughkulitxplod will become famous soon enough

kulitxplod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
i put 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer STs on my stock OR wheels (along with my OME lift) and haven't seen any appreciable drop in mileage. Maybe a mile per gallon that I can tell. They ride nice and aren't too loud...and look good too. But if I were you, I'd buy a set of take off rugged trails from someone like me. I sold mine on craigslist for $250 and they only had 4500 miles on them.
Are you running spacers with those stock OR wheels?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
what would going down to a 265/45/16 to do your engine revs with stock gearing? with 4.10 it puts you at over 3.5k at 65