1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lets talk about TPMS light

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by soilsample, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Feb 26, 2010 at 1:29 PM
    soilsample

soilsample [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Southwest Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD Off Road
    Hi Everybody,
    I just bought my Toytec ultimate lift.
    I'm going to buy wheels and tires also.....

I would like to order a set of wheels and tires ready to install on my truck. I would like to leave my stock wheels and tires set up with tpms inside them.

Will my TPMS light flash all the time, or can I reset it or turn it off?

Dont want the light flashing forever, but I'd rather not have to pull the TPMS out of my stockers and pay someone to dismount them and remount them.

Thanks for any advice
    Donald

2. Feb 26, 2010 at 1:33 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    I'm pretty sure the light will stay on. I don't think it will blink. You can either have the TPM's swapped, put some tape or something over the idiot light or just deal with it. I don't think you have any other choices.

3. Feb 26, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I leave my oem steel rims that have the tpms sensors & winter tires in the shed all summer & do not get a light. My summer rims/tires have no sensors.

I only get the light when I exceed a certain distance. There are some who say it is a time thing, but honestly, for the last 4 years I have done this, park at work all day away from the stockers/sensors no light. Park at the mountain 20 miles away, hike all day, come back to the truck 9 hrs later no light.

If I travel around 30-40 miles it triggers a light, but resets after the truck is parked close again, like in the driveway overnight.

I do have a sensor in my spare still for its an 2006.
    Also, once the light illuminated to let me know the psi was low in the stored tires. That was awesome.

4. Feb 27, 2010 at 4:33 AM
    soilsample

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Southwest Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD Off Road
    Wow that's interesting.
    I think I'm going to leave the sensors in my stockers. If it drives me nuts, I'll swap over the sensors later.

Thanks

5. Feb 27, 2010 at 5:11 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Just put a piece of electrical tape or index card over it.

6. Feb 27, 2010 at 5:26 AM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    I have a couple of extra steelies with snow tires mounted on them. Once I've driven about 20 minutes or so the light starts to blink. However, it only blinks for a few seconds and then just goes steady. It's very easy to place something in front of the light if it bothers you though.

7. Feb 27, 2010 at 5:30 AM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
    It should stay on... Mine stayed on when I had one off the truck. I know a few other members they don't have them on and the light stays on.

8. Feb 27, 2010 at 5:37 AM
    hillbillytoyo

hillbillytoyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    WV
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra Crewmax SR5 TRD Off Road.
    G2 bed cover
    My light stays on all the time. No big deal, I've gotten so I don't pay it any attention. But I took my truck to the dealer for oil & filter and the tech wanted to make a big deal out of it. So I probally won't be going back there.

9. Feb 27, 2010 at 5:40 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...I don't have a spare times right now- SO every time my truck goes in for dealer services it comes back with the services listed....and the last item is Problem: "TPMS Light Illuminated" Resolution: "No spare tire-Nothing Done" or something close to that.

10. Feb 27, 2010 at 5:53 AM
    hillbillytoyo

hillbillytoyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    WV
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra Crewmax SR5 TRD Off Road.
    G2 bed cover
    The guy came to tell me my truck was finished and I noticed the tech standing outside of the waiting room door. When I walked out he was like," Is that your truck?" And I said "Yes" and he said," You don't have any sensors in your tires" and I explained to him I had swapped out my factory wheels for some TRD wheels and my sensors wouldn't fit. He kept repeating himself about the sensors and saying ,"I can't give you a state inspection sticker." He said this three different times. The thing was my sticker didn't go dead for 3 more months. I got my sticker somewhere else and haven't back.

11. Feb 27, 2010 at 6:05 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    He's wrong BTW- The STOCK tires are required to have them...but the TPMS law has wording in to to the effect of "Does not apply to aftermarket rims" IIRC.

12. Feb 27, 2010 at 6:15 AM
    wallytaco

wallytaco Active Member

Member:
    Pittsfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    '10 MGM Access V6 OR
    I've seen this about the storage of tires keeping the light from coming on, but in all cases, the spare was still on the truck. Since I have a '10 with no TPMS in the spare, I have two questions. Well maybe one question, one thought: Anyone find that this happens even without a spare having the TPMS, like in the 09 or 10? My thought is, could I simulate the effect by substituting one of my stock alloys as a spare when I replace the wheels?

If all else fails, I'll be subscribing to the "take the dash apart and tape" mod.

13. Feb 27, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    I know few will take the time to read this.................

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/rulings/TPMSfinalrule.6/TPMSfinalrule.6.html#IV_3

c) � �MIL Disablement
    The NPRM did not contain any provision for MIL disablement.
    Honda requested clarification as to whether it would be permissible to disable or to suppress the MIL when the TPMS sending units have been removed as a result of the replacement of the original equipment tires and rims with aftermarket components that are not compatible with the direct-sensing TPMS. Honda stated that it had previously received complaints from customers and dealers who encountered this situation and were confronted with a recurrent malfunction warning. The company expressed concern that if the MIL cannot be suppressed in these situations, consumers may become desensitized to MILs generally, which could have negative implications for occupant safety. NADA provided a similar comment.
    We do not believe it is appropriate to permit disablement of the MIL when aftermarket tires and rims are installed on the vehicle that are not compatible with the continued proper functioning of the TPMS. In such cases, the TPMS MIL is performing its intended function. We believe that the MIL should continue to operate when tires and rims that are incompatible with the TPMS are mounted on the vehicle, not only to discourage such actions, but also to provide an ongoing reminder that the TPMS is unavailable to provide low tire pressure warnings.

14. Feb 27, 2010 at 8:21 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    You have a few more options...Get a pvc pipe around 6" long. Cap one end and put the sensors in it. Install a valve stem on the other cap and secure to other end of the pipe...fill to 32psi and either throw it in a storage compartment or hose clamp it underneth the truck somewhere. I've read some use a small wheel barrel wheel/tire to accomplish the same thing. Also, there's a hose clamp like product that is specifically made to secure the sensors to the inside of the aftermarket wheels before the tires gets mounted.

15. Feb 27, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    duckcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
    Damn thats a good idea.

16. Feb 27, 2010 at 8:27 AM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
  17. Feb 27, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    duckcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    I like the pvc idea.. You can make it small and compact.

18. Feb 27, 2010 at 8:46 AM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
  19. Feb 27, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    soilsample

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Southwest Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD Off Road
    Well I'm looking to save the trouble of dismounting my stock tires to get to the sensors...
    So I'm not gonna try the PVC approach.
    Thanks to all for the input.

On my last vehicle the light would blink all the time without sensors. That gets old!!!

Donald

20. Feb 27, 2010 at 10:08 AM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Has anyone tried removing the sensors and resetting the tpms system to read zero as the normal pressure?

Products Discussed in

To Top