Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Nitto Terra Grappler tires

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
AZM9 is a name known to allAZM9 is a name known to allAZM9 is a name known to allAZM9 is a name known to allAZM9 is a name known to allAZM9 is a name known to all

Army:
Name: Jay
AZM9's Tacoma Gallery
Nitto Terra Grappler tires

I have a 2009 Tacoma dbl cab TRD Sport swb and I hate the stock tires. Ithink the ride is crappy and they seem to be wearing pretty fast. Has anybody experienced this as well.

I have seen the Nitto Terra Grapplers on new Tacoma's at the dealership but these truck were also lifted 3.5 inches as well with bigger wheels. I just basically want to keep my stock wheels and get these tires. Can anybody tell me how good these tires are. I have read good reviews on them so far. They have to be better than the Bridgestones from the factory.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
good tires....had mine almost a year w/ no complaints. u can go up to a 265/70/17 in those w/o issue on those stock sport rims and no rubbing
Old 02-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
save money get bfg
Old 02-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TGs also dont have the weight of the same sized BFG ATs
Old 02-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
i have your exact truck, but a 2007. it's lifted now, but even before the lift, i put a set of 265/70/17 terra grapplers (one size bigger than stock) on the stock sport wheels.....I absolutely love the tires! you can get them in the stock size, or the 265/70s and have no problem without having a lift.

my stock tires drove well, but they were bald at 27k
i haven't had the terra grapplers long enough to comment on their wear, but prople who have had them in the past seem to have godden 40-50k miles on them with proper care.

i can comment though on their performance. even with the larger size, they handle so much better on road, in all conditions. i live in virginia, we have had 3 snow storms this year that have each dropped over a foot and a half of snow. i never got stuck, in fact, i even pulled out a plow.

you will love them
Old 02-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bfg AT 265/70/17 FTW! looks so sick
Old 02-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
AZM9 is a name known to allAZM9 is a name known to allAZM9 is a name known to allAZM9 is a name known to allAZM9 is a name known to allAZM9 is a name known to all

Army:
AZM9's Tacoma Gallery
I have mixed feelings. I originally wanted BFG's but then I saw the Terra Grappler and thought they had a better tread design. I always have thought though that I wanted white letter tires also. It's a shame Toyota doesn't offer them on TRD Sports.

So what is the bottom line?

How long will BFG AT KO's last?

How long will Nitto's last?

Which has the better overall performance?

I will go with 265/70/17's by the way just to give me a bit bigger tire, but will that change my speedo and by how much?
Old 02-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZM9 View Post
I have mixed feelings. I originally wanted BFG's but then I saw the Terra Grappler and thought they had a better tread design. I always have thought though that I wanted white letter tires also. It's a shame Toyota doesn't offer them on TRD Sports.

I will go with 265/70/17's by the way just to give me a bit bigger tire, but will that change my speedo and by how much?
it will put your speedo dead on. Ive had my bfg's for about 17k miles or so and they still look new. i guess the nittos would be the better "value" of the two. Personally i think the way the bfg's make your truck look the extra money is worth it. Im gonna was my truck on thursday if its sunny ill post some pics. but im sure you can find some here with people who have 265/70/17 bfg's.

cliffs: BFG's FTW!
Old 02-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #10

oh and btw discount tire gave me 200 dollar credit for my dunlop at20's when i upgraded to the bfg's. im sure they'll buy your stock tires too.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #11
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
That's a good deal for tires that aren't worth $10.00.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #12
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Mt nittos have 62k on them, heading to death valley next week and was thinking of getting a new set. Tire guy talked me out of it! ( I have 2 good spares) Cant complain about tread life thats for sure. Now on wet payment they break free pretty easy, but the do really well in sand. Maybe i don't go through tires as I got 60k out of my bfg's on my old truck as well.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:26 PM   #13

Army:
AZM9's Tacoma Gallery
Well I just took my truck in to the dealership here today at 14,500 miles for the 15,000 service and the tread is about half gone on the Bridgestones so I better do it soon.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #14
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZM9 View Post

as said above, the speedo will actually be more acurate with the 265/70s

the bfgs will last a little longer, but the cost evens things out. i did the math once, and the cost per mile you get out of each of the tires is pretty much identical (if that makes sense).

they are both a great tire on and off road, especially over stock. i run 265/70 TGs, and my buddy runs 265/70 BFGs. we have both had to pull each other out before while wheeling (we're the same skill level drivers).

so with the cost per mile driven being the same, and the performance being very close, i would say, just go with the one you like the look of more
Old 02-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #15

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=false&cs=265

dooooooo it!
Old 02-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #16
TheBlackPearl is on a distinguished road

TheBlackPearl's Tacoma Gallery
I have the terra grapplers. If you go with 265/70/17, the ride is going to be slightly rougher and you can hear the road noise slightly more. Gas mileage goes down significantly though. On long trips, I use to be able to drive a little over 400 miles on one full tank with the stock tires. With the Terra Grapplers and one size up, I am only able to drive 340 miles on one tank at most. It looks good though. I'd purchase another set when my current set goes bald.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:44 AM   #17
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackPearl View Post
I have the terra grapplers. If you go with 265/70/17, the ride is going to be slightly rougher and you can hear the road noise slightly more. Gas mileage goes down significantly though. On long trips, I use to be able to drive a little over 400 miles on one full tank with the stock tires. With the Terra Grapplers and one size up, I am only able to drive 340 miles on one tank at most. It looks good though. I'd purchase another set when my current set goes bald.
u also need to take into account that ur ODO is slightly off due to the tire size. i'd be happy w/ 340 per tank...lol
Old 02-27-2010, 04:01 AM   #18
Protected by Armor Tech Offroad
dbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dennis
dbronzo's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the TG's over the BFG due to price and load range. I was able to get a 285/70/17 in load range c. Have only had them for about 1K so really cannot comment on the wear yet, but I am extremly happy with the way they ride. BTW lower load range equals lighter tire equals better MPG.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:17 AM   #19
jdtrd is on a distinguished road
jdtrd's Tacoma Gallery
nitto

I put the terra grapplers on my wifes sequoia. Fresh ont eh rim I thought they were a great tire for the $$. Worked excellent in teh snow/rain but about 20k miles into it, while they still had plenty of tread I thought the traction got substationally worse. If I lived in a dry climate I'd get them again but won't up here in CO. I put on a set of Hankook AT's after those and so far am really liking them. They have around 15k on them and still look and drive very well.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:22 AM   #20
treadant is on a distinguished road
treadant's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to treadant
I own a tire store in NC and have sold a lot of both brands. I love BFG for the traction and looks, but I often get customers who complain about how loud they are after 15 or 20k driving on them. The reason is, the edges of the tires tend to "cup" out or get rough and they are noisy. If you're really good about rotating the tires every 5k and running the air pressure on the high side, this usally isn't a problem. The BFG is a longer lasting tread, but I really love the way the Nitto feels on the road. Smooth and quiet, don't tend to cup out like the BFG, but not as long lasting. Hope this helps!