Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

When do you have to regear?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
wingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jonathan
wingshootin's Tacoma Gallery
When do you have to regear?

Question for you guys and gals. I know this has been answered before but here goes again. When do you have to regear or when is it suggested. For example:

I have a 3" lift on my 06 TRD Sport LB DC 4x4 with after market wheels. The wheels are 17x8 with a zero offset and 4.5 back spacing. I have and I am still thinking about doing a 6" lift kit but I do not know if I can justify the cost or not. Anyway my question is this....with my current set up when do I need to worry about having to regear? Whats the max tire size that I can go with without having to worry about regearing? I am leaning towards the 295 70 17's. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
wingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Its for both looks and fuctionality. I offroad every now and then. Mainly mud and red clay.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
general rule of thumb if you change your diameter by more then 10 percent then you should regear to get back inside the window. so i just used the tire size calculator, its a 5.2% difference so it wont be necessicary, but inorder to get the gas mileage and the power back you could regear to 4.27 but more likley 4.56 because it is hard to find the 4.27s for our truck
Old 03-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
general rule of thumb if you change your diameter by more then 10 percent then you should regear to get back inside the window. so i just used the tire size calculator, its a 5.2% difference so it wont be necessicary, but inorder to get the gas mileage and the power back you could regear to 4.27 but more likley 4.56 because it is hard to find the 4.27s for our truck

Just the answer I was looking for. Thanks man.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

no problem I like your DCLB too
Old 03-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
RedTaco2134 will become famous soon enoughRedTaco2134 will become famous soon enough

Army: E-1
Name: Scott
RedTaco2134's Tacoma Gallery
Don't forget if you have an auto and you have 35's with 3.73 gears. Your transmission could easily become overheated which Heat=Flinstones. 33's are fine I just bought a bigger transmission cooler. 6" lift you should definitely re-gear to get you power and gas mileage back as well as saving your auto.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #8

Its not completely necessary to regear if you dont have to. It puts extra stress on your transmission but some people go from stock size to 35s and run it for years. Im assuming your truck is 2x4? if it is the regear should run about 400 bucks, and you can totally regear a 2.7 5 lugger. Email allpro offroad, they carry gears for our trucks and they can direct you through. Also a bunch of people on here have regeared, and you can ask them. try http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-s-4-56-a.html
Old 03-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
RedTaco2134 will become famous soon enoughRedTaco2134 will become famous soon enough

Army: E-1
Name: Scott
RedTaco2134's Tacoma Gallery
Well I guess if the person never went off-road, I guess it would be fine. 35's with 3.73's and a stressed drivetrain, asking for problems..I could feel the power loss from the step up from 245/65/17-275/70/17(32"). My truck is very Lackluster compared to the 245's(30") Just my $.02
Old 02-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
RDAY is on a distinguished road
RDAY's Tacoma Gallery
roughly wut does it cost to regear our trucks at a shop