1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock Dunlops (are they bad)?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by TOYOTA 09, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Mar 17, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 [OP] Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    I have the at20 stock dunlops...i've read a lot about how horrible they are. I dirve mostly street and them seem to do okay. When they wear out i'll be getting some BFG AT's. Am i going to notice a difference? If so, how will they feel different? More grip? smoother ride? etc

Help me understand!

2. Mar 17, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    I am sure that if I lived in a dry warm sunny place i wouldn't have issues with them other then noise, but for me I lasted about 1k miles. After the tire shop put on my Grabber HTS's they put the AT20's in my bed and I told them I don't want them. They looked at me puzzled. I smiled because I now had less noise, better handling in every weather condition, and better feel over bumps.

Will the average person care much? Probably not. But even my gf who could care less about tires was impressed with the difference. These tires are made for one thing only - to up the mpg ratings sacrificing everything else.

I'm sure any tire is better than these(check tirerack ratings), but for the average budget it makes better sense to wear them out and maybe get off-road or snows for the winter if needed. Good luck in the rain
    though........

3. Mar 17, 2010 at 6:31 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    They aren't bad if: youre on the road a lot, gravel roads at times, use 4wd to drive in snow only a bit, dont go "offroading" , you like decent mpg.

they are bad if: you do drive on ice a lot , go offroading , mud , packed snow .

I drove mine on ice n pack snow and didnt have any trouble fwiw but i kept off the steeper hills, i wanted more traction , so i bought winter AT tires. I dont "offroad" , I hunt in areas where many logging roads are closed , ski , hike, and work in snow n ice plowing & road closures.

My opinion of the tire is its designed for fuel economy , cost , and a reasonably good road ride , with a very little bit of versatility for 4 whl drive.

4. Mar 17, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    TOYOTA 09

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    So basing this on road use only....the BFG's won't be as nice as a ride as the stock dunlops?

5. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Last time I looked the Dunlops ranked LAST in their category on tirerack.com

6. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:06 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    I have to say, I really am disappointed with the factory tire choice. Even light mud, talking about a rain sprinkled dirt road and traction loss can be felt. Took them on some fire roads on several occasions and felt the rear end slipping any time you gave them even the slightest bit of excess throttle. Had Yokohama Geolander ATS on my last rig. 10 times better tire. I will replace these POS with either another set of the Yokohama's or go to General Grabber's before fall.
    If all your gonna do is drive highway, the Dunlops will be ok. Just don't expect anything out of them and don't complain if you end up someplace where you didn't actually plan to drive.
    Just my thoughts. Ken

7. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:08 AM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    My stock dunlops were a great street tire. I pulled them off @36k miles and put my mudders on. I prob. have about 15k left in my stock dunlops.

8. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:11 AM
    TOYOTA 09

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    so my questions still exists: will i see an increase in ride quality - better traction, better handling, smoother ride, better over bumps etc etc (ON STREET) by ditching the stocks and going with BFG AT's?

9. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:16 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Go to tirerack.com, and compare the BFG AT with the Dunlops. They have categories for each that states road noise, on-road traction, etc.

10. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:17 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    Your questions direction has changed a little. I think you should read reviews of both tires on tirerack and decide for yourself and others with BFGs. From my experience with them ANY tire is better then these in those categories except mpg rating. I had BFG AT on my jeep and they were fantastic.

11. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:20 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    My street radial Dunlops are not AT20, the dealer put on Dunlop SP60 before I bought the truck used. I drive 98% on road so these are fine for me. (I just wish the speedo error was not so large. I'm going with some larger radials when it's time for replacement.)

12. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:20 AM
    TOYOTA 09

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    thanks guys! that's what i wanted to hear!

13. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:24 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I swapped my stock dunlops at 8k & did not go to with BFGs AT but Goodyear Silent Armor ATs. The handling especially on wet road conditions was so much better. The other characteristics, handling, smoother ride etc. again was hands down better than AT20s. There is really no comparison. Most any other AT tire will be an improvement over the stockers. I also do not offroad only highway, backroads, & some dirt roads in the Northeast fwiw.

I couldn't even give them away on craigslist & ended up selling them for $20 to someone who needed their truck to get inspected.

14. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:59 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The first time I got stuck in the snow , in my brand new ( 3 months old at the time ) truck with those tires ( Dunlops ), their days were numbered , but as is mentioned above if you are in a warm dry climate and highway / paved drive most of the time you could run them until they wear out before shelling out more $ for tires ,

OZ

15. Mar 17, 2010 at 8:23 AM
    Breadbox

Breadbox Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport, MT, 4X4, SR5
    4" lift; ION and Camburg, custom progressive rear springs no overload; ION Bumps; Roadmaster Active suspension, quick disconnect sways front and rear, Nitro 4.10s, Detroit TrueTrac, ECGS bushing, Aluminess Rear bumper w/swing outs and flood lights, 285/70/17 on ProComp Steelies, Kenwood NAV, URD Short Shifter, CB, front rally bar with LED flows and fogs, RockSliders, FWC.
    :censored: The stock tires SUCK!

16. Mar 17, 2010 at 8:28 AM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    think again, i live in a warm sunny place, and they still suck big time, they are slippery, noisy, in every weather condition, we have sun, rain, and sometimes a lil bit of snow....

17. Mar 17, 2010 at 8:43 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    at20 are only good for dry road and occasional snow. I will most likely replace them with something else

18. Mar 17, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    dgr540

dgr540 I've got the FUNK

Member:
    Friendswood, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Wrangler Unlimited
    XDs Trail grappler 35x12.5x18 Winch 8K lbs Front bumper 4in Lift
    They suck for me in the rain. Maybe if I had a heavy bed it wouldn't be as bad, but I slide without barely pressing on the gas. Maybe I have a faulty gas pedal........:eek: J/K

19. Mar 17, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    jmzd4

jmzd4 Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD Sport 4x4
    yup. i learned this passed weekend.

20. Mar 17, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    same here, they can really put you in danger in no time...

Products Discussed in

To Top