Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

list of tires for 255/85/16

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #41
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
also when fully inflated they have less rolling resistance and they are also a lighter tire.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #42
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
um... why the hell would you go with that size? 285/75/16
You asking me why that size?

Because its my truck and thats what I want to put on my truck!
Old 08-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #43
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
the 85% aspect allow the tires to have a longer contact patch when deflated. even the the 285 75s are wider the do not have near as long a contact patch. the patch of a 285 is 9% wider than the 255s but the 255s contact patch is 10% longer so they are the same
Thanks. I read over the expenditions portal again and read the longer path not wider path.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #44
Discount Tire Company
Archangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Archangel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
You asking me why that size?

Because its my truck and thats what I want to put on my truck!

To each their own... But I'm telling you right now, I work for a tire shop that stocks over 4,000 tires, and I don't have a single tire in that size. Moreover, if you run into a road hazard issue, you're fucked. Any tire in that size 1.) isn't going to be common, 2.) have an extremely limited production timeframe meaning factory stock is going to be skiddish at best, and the uncommon size is going to drive pricing up because of the lack of commonality. Now, if that's what you want, then by all means, do what you want, but from a logical prospective, the probability is that that size will be produced maybe 1 week a year. That meaning that the availibility of that tire is gonna be hit or miss. In the event of a road hazard, you're gonna punch yourself in the balls and have to buy another set, instead of 1 or 2 tires.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #45
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
To each their own... But I'm telling you right now, I work for a tire shop that stocks over 4,000 tires, and I don't have a single tire in that size. Moreover, if you run into a road hazard issue, you're fucked. Any tire in that size 1.) isn't going to be common, 2.) have an extremely limited production timeframe meaning factory stock is going to be skiddish at best, and the uncommon size is going to drive pricing up because of the lack of commonality. Now, if that's what you want, then by all means, do what you want, but from a logical prospective, the probability is that that size will be produced maybe 1 week a year. That meaning that the availibility of that tire is gonna be hit or miss. In the event of a road hazard, you're gonna punch yourself in the balls and have to buy another set, instead of 1 or 2 tires.
The Discount tire I have inquired abou them have these in stock. I can go online and find on the first page of a google search 5-7 sites that stock them. They are not that expensive, they range from 175-200 for the tires I am looking at, that does not seem to be too bad to me. I want them because they fit what I am looking for from a tire.

Thanks for the heads up though
Old 08-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #46
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The Discount tire I have inquired abou them have these in stock. I can go online and find on the first page of a google search 5-7 sites that stock them. They are not that expensive, they range from 175-200 for the tires I am looking at, that does not seem to be too bad to me. I want them because they fit what I am looking for from a tire.

Thanks for the heads up though
Yeah, not too hard to find. I only paid 600 for all 4 of my coopers shipped off ebay. They are blemished (white walls are not white).
Old 08-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #47
Almost there

Ya there is currently a set of 4 for like 650 plus sipping but when you buy tires off ebay and such what do you do about mounting and balancing and such?
Old 08-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #48
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Ya there is currently a set of 4 for like 650 plus sipping but when you buy tires off ebay and such what do you do about mounting and balancing and such?
got that done for free. My stepsister's boyfriend used to work at discount.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #49
Almost there

Oh snap lol do you know how other people do it? Cause people all the time buy tires used or new off the interwebz and somehow get them mounted and balanced properly
Old 08-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #50
braaap

Quote:
Oh snap lol do you know how other people do it? Cause people all the time buy tires used or new off the interwebz and somehow get them mounted and balanced properly
Well to be honest, the passenger rear did not balence very well and still has a slight vibration. I think it may be a little out of round but it is so slight that I don't even notice anymore.

It can't be more than $30 to get them mounted and balanced.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:05 PM   #51
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I just spoon them on myself, then go to a tire shop and they usually only charge like 15-20 bucks to balance them.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #52
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
I just spoon them on myself, then go to a tire shop and they usually only charge like 15-20 bucks to balance them.
dang! And I thought changing dirbike tires was hard.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:43 AM   #53
Almost there

I enjoy spooning, sounds like fun!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:44 AM   #54
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I enjoy spooning, sounds like fun!

Old 08-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #55

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
dang! And I thought changing dirbike tires was hard.
truck tires are 100x easier than dirtbikes...dirtbikes are an absolute PITA
Old 08-26-2010, 10:26 PM   #56
Almost there

So does anyone have any more information or reviews on how their trucks handle with 255/85/16's? I am so very close to getting the Cooper ST and would like to hear more about dune running and desert trails traction!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #57
braaap

Quote:
So does anyone have any more information or reviews on how their trucks handle with 255/85/16's? I am so very close to getting the Cooper ST and would like to hear more about dune running and desert trails traction!
well I finally got a chance to take mine out to the desert last week and they did pretty good. There were some sections where a wider tire would have helped like in some deep ruts in a sandstone hill, but other than that, they did just fine. Here's a video my buddy made and you can see me struggling on the sandstone hill. I did eventually make it with better wheel placement and more speed.

also, this was without airing down at all. There's about 40lbs in each tire. Airing down would have helped A LOT, but I have no way of airing back up and theres quite a bit of street driving back home.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCc4d...layer_embedded
Old 08-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #58

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
im right there with you. want that size and st's are looking like the best all around tire in that size. (real aggressive AT) i dont want a m/t because ive never had good luck with mts on the road in snow. not enough siping. I just really worry about the killing of mielage and power.

235/85-16 is a skinny 32 so for a 1/2" less ground clearance i can get duratracs in 235/85s
Old 08-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #59
Almost there

Steve those look pretty aggressive are they the BFG's (on the 4 runner)? I am thinking the coopers because they put more rubber on the surface...what do you think?
Old 08-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #60

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
well I finally got a chance to take mine out to the desert last week and they did pretty good. There were some sections where a wider tire would have helped like in some deep ruts in a sandstone hill, but other than that, they did just fine. Here's a video my buddy made and you can see me struggling on the sandstone hill. I did eventually make it with better wheel placement and more speed.

also, this was without airing down at all. There's about 40lbs in each tire. Airing down would have helped A LOT, but I have no way of airing back up and theres quite a bit of street driving back home.
looks like lsd or locker woulda helped, both of you...lol