Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

list of tires for 255/85/16

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #121
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootapa View Post
Based on the Expedition West guys im sold on the 255/85/16. Im now trying to decide on a particular rim. I dont mind the skinny tire look but i want a wider stance, both aesthetically and for balance. I definitely wont be running wheel spacers because i actually off-road, i'm looking into some pretty small backspacing. What kind of effect would running a 16x8 rim with 2.50 inch backspacing have? Anyone have pictures of 255/85/16 on a very small backspacing (4" or less)? I'll be starting a build thread pretty soon, but i'm just collecting all my info. The theoretical plan would be running the 255/85/16 Toyo Open Country on this rim http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetai...PCW98-6883R2.5
I wouldn't run an 8" rim. I would stay with 7" wide rim, like what is stock. I kept my stock rims with this size tire but a copper ST and they rub very little on the left uca (havent checked the right side uca) and on the frame with full lock to the right and the right side of the frame (passenger side).
Old 09-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #122
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
yup keep the 7" rim. On a 10" wide tire, the 8" are too wide.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:00 PM   #123
Wootapa is on a distinguished road
Wootapa's Tacoma Gallery
sweet, thanks team. I'm going to try running a 7" with about 4" bs. I've got the OME 3" lift with Dakar pack and 886 springs in the mail. I know they'll clear stock UCAs but i'm thinking i might grab the TC UCAs to err on the safe side. Not sure how much cutting i'll need to do but the general consensus seems to be that i'm going to need to do the cab mount chop. I'll run some searches to see what else needs cutting, but if anybody knows off the top of their head it'd give me a start. thanks
Old 09-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #124
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
sweet, thanks team. I'm going to try running a 7" with about 4" bs. I've got the OME 3" lift with Dakar pack and 886 springs in the mail. I know they'll clear stock UCAs but i'm thinking i might grab the TC UCAs to err on the safe side. Not sure how much cutting i'll need to do but the general consensus seems to be that i'm going to need to do the cab mount chop. I'll run some searches to see what else needs cutting, but if anybody knows off the top of their head it'd give me a start. thanks
If I were you I would do ucas for alignment reasons. I'm at only 2" of lift in the front and my alignment is not perfect. I don't know about other backspacing but if you stay with the stock spacing you do not need to do the cab mount chop. My tires don't even come near the cab mount.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:31 AM   #125
NwRunner is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
NwRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Well this thread just convinced me to keep the 16" 2001 Taco wheels i just bought and give the Bighorns a try.
Wish they would make a C rated MT in this size, but oh well.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #126
navysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11 Bang Bang Infantry
Name: Zach
navysealboy93's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #127
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #128
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
I wouldn't run an 8" rim. I would stay with 7" wide rim, like what is stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
yup keep the 7" rim. On a 10" wide tire, the 8" are too wide.
Quote:
OME 885s & Dakars got me 3" lift front & back, and a great ride on & off road
I measured mine
1st Gen TRDs 4.5" BS
2nd Gen Stock Steelies 5" BS
2nd Gen TRDs 5.5" BS (according to the wheel specs thread)
Mine with 255/85/16 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2 on 1st Gen TRDs

A slightly wider stance. No chopping and still running mud flaps. By the way spell check wanted to replace TRDs with Turds but I didn't let it. I just thought of something. I'm not sure if mine will clear the rear with 4.5" BS and 4" BS will push them out farther. I might have to increase my bump stops to prevent them from stuffing into the fender. This is just a baby flex on the hill just north of my house. I haven't taken them out for a good trail run yet. I'll let you know after I get a full flex.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #129
ortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Eric
ortlie09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
I wouldn't run an 8" rim. I would stay with 7" wide rim, like what is stock. I kept my stock rims with this size tire but a copper ST and they rub very little on the left uca (havent checked the right side uca) and on the frame with full lock to the right and the right side of the frame (passenger side).
Why is it not recommended to run an 8" rim with these tires? I actually have 16x8.5 wheels with 4.5 backspacing. Is it because it would hit the stock uca? Sorry if I missed the answer somewhere
Old 02-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #130
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortlie09 View Post
Why is it not recommended to run an 8" rim with these tires? I actually have 16x8.5 wheels with 4.5 backspacing. Is it because it would hit the stock uca? Sorry if I missed the answer somewhere
It's the maunfacturers specification that dictates what wheel width should be used with the tire. Most manufacturers recommend a 7-8" wheel width for their 255s.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #131
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortlie09 View Post
With too wide a wheel for the tire your wheel is not protected and looks funny.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:58 AM   #132
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery

Old 10-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #133
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #134
Longtime Toyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
A slightly wider stance. No chopping and still running mud flaps. By the way spell check wanted to replace TRDs with Turds but I didn't let it. I just thought of something. I'm not sure if mine will clear the rear with 4.5" BS. I might have to increase my bump stops to prevent them from stuffing into the fender. This is just a baby flex on the hill just north of my house. I haven't taken them out for a good trail run yet. I'll let you know after I get a full flex.
Update fronts will rub slightly on mud flap if I bounce the front too hard at full lock & rears haven't touched yet.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #135
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
Ok so driving around town the gas guage drops like a brick from a plane then when i get on the freeway the gas gauge floats up...
Meaning your gas gauge is messed up? Or are you saying it just eats gas around town but does good on the highway

Quote:
Based on the Expedition West guys im sold on the 255/85/16. Im now trying to decide on a particular rim. I dont mind the skinny tire look but i want a wider stance, both aesthetically and for balance. I definitely wont be running wheel spacers because i actually off-road, i'm looking into some pretty small backspacing. What kind of effect would running a 16x8 rim with 2.50 inch backspacing have? Anyone have pictures of 255/85/16 on a very small backspacing (4" or less)? I'll be starting a build thread pretty soon, but i'm just collecting all my info. The theoretical plan would be running the 255/85/16 Toyo Open Country on this rim http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetai...PCW98-6883R2.5
What do you mean you don't want to use wheel spacers because you actually offroad??
Who told you you can't use wheel spacers offroad? I know plenty of people that do, and have never seen any information saying you shouldnt
Old 01-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #136
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 04-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #137
FMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Hospital Corpsman
Name: Topher
FMF's Tacoma Gallery
Can the weight of each tire be added to the list
Old 06-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #138
Psychonaut
Maxx is a splendid one to beholdMaxx is a splendid one to beholdMaxx is a splendid one to beholdMaxx is a splendid one to beholdMaxx is a splendid one to beholdMaxx is a splendid one to beholdMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Maxx's Tacoma Gallery
Any new news or information? I am about to pick up tires and I have been eyeing the Discoverer ST but I wouldn't mind some more options in this size?
Old 01-20-2014, 06:04 AM   #139
Pura Vida
Chux is one of the sharper tools in the shedChux is one of the sharper tools in the shedChux is one of the sharper tools in the shedChux is one of the sharper tools in the shedChux is one of the sharper tools in the shedChux is one of the sharper tools in the shedChux is one of the sharper tools in the shedChux is one of the sharper tools in the shedChux is one of the sharper tools in the shedChux is one of the sharper tools in the shedChux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chux's Tacoma Gallery
Good info as I'm looking into 255/85s as we'll. haven't picked a tire yet tho
Old 04-03-2014, 06:16 PM   #140
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
OP- can you add the Cooper ST Maxx in this size to the FP?