Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Snow Chains

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
thegreatsam will become famous soon enoughthegreatsam will become famous soon enough

Name: Sam
thegreatsam's Tacoma Gallery
Snow Chains

2 Weeks ago I purchased my first truck, a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab. I've never owned a truck, let alone anything with 4x4 capability.

Next week I'm headed up to the mountain for some spring snowboarding (16"+ of snow this week, another 10"+ forecast by Tuesday!). I'll be picking up chains for the new truck Monday. I've always believed in at least carrying chains when headed through the passes, regardless if I think I'm going to use them or not. Better to have and not need then need and not have.

My question is, if I do need to chain up for whatever reason, where should they go? I know for 2wd drive only trucks they say to install them on the rears, but if I throw my truck in 4wd, should they go on the front or the rears?

The chances of me needing them are small, but I'd still like to go to the mountain prepared.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
hey...I can change this!
kbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
chains

Unless your tires are completely bald, you'll never need chains on your 4x4. Halfway decent tread and weight in the bed will get you anywhere you need to go.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
thegreatsam will become famous soon enoughthegreatsam will become famous soon enough

Well, I'm hoping I *don't* need them, and I probably won't, I just thought it would be useful to know on the off chance I do.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
DOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud of

Army: Military Police
Name: Jordan
DOERanger's Tacoma Gallery
Are they chains or the cables? Have you increased the clearance on the front wheel wells?
Old 03-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
You won't need them... I live at the base of the mountain and have never chained my taco... But, since you feel the need to be on the safe side which is completely fine since your kinda new to trucks its IMHO a good idea. on 4wd rigs you will want to chain up the fronts first and the rears second. if you have only one set of chains they should go on the front. Good luck & enjoy!
Old 03-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Snow? Whats that??
Old 03-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motive View Post
You won't need them... I live at the base of the mountain and have never chained my taco... But, since you feel the need to be on the safe side which is completely fine since your kinda new to trucks its IMHO a good idea. on 4wd rigs you will want to chain up the fronts first and the rears second. if you have only one set of chains they should go on the front. Good luck & enjoy!
Ahh, thanks. I'm pretty comfortable driving in snow, been up every week since Christmas with my little 2wd Integra, chaining about half the time, but I wasn't sure which end to chain up on the truck if I ran into trouble.

Thanks again!
Old 03-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOERanger View Post
Are they chains or the cables? Have you increased the clearance on the front wheel wells?
I had planned on picking up chains Monday just as a precaution. The tires the guy has on are 265/75/16 BFG AT's, and its running at stock height....is there a clearance issue with chains?
Old 03-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are you sure about this, I think you should put chains on the back first before the front, even if It's 4wd. I'm not an expert with driving a 4wd in the snow, but I guess you know something I don't?
But yes you shouldn't need to use the chains if you have a 4wd, but it may be a good idea to have them anyways, because some states require that you have them with you anyways.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatsam View Post
I had planned on picking up chains Monday. The tires the guy has on are 265/75/16 BFG AT's, and its running at stock height....is there a clearance issue with chains?
you should be fine... cables are a smoother ride, but with a 4wd you will only chain up if traction is severely needed and in that case I would get chains. The clearence difference between chains and cables is very minimal and you shouldn't have any issues with either choice.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoTruck View Post
Are you sure about this, I think you should put chains on the back first before the front, even if It's 4wd.
But yes you shouldn't need to use the chains if you have a 4wd, but it may be a good idea to have them anyways, because some states require that you have them with you anyways.
I'm positive! you want the chains on your steering tires first.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #12

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #13
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I usually chain up the rears If need be. But I haven't had too yet this year.
OH... And hi neighbor! I see your in the same area as me. I was ganna go up tomarrow also....(maybe)
Old 09-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #14
Black Hills Tony is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Maytag Repairman
Black Hills Tony's Tacoma Gallery
I only chain the rears

Quote:
I'm positive! you want the chains on your steering tires first.
Chains in the front are pretty awesome because they can chomp through thick crusty snow. Be careful though, the owners manual for my 2003 taco says "do not use tire chains on the front tires" (page 275). I'm guessing it's a clearance issue between the tire and the frame when the wheels are turned.

It's a good idea to practice putting them on before you need them. Maybe when you are practicing, you can try them on the front.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:04 AM   #15
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
Put the chains on your rear wheels
Old 09-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #16
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbp68 View Post
Unless your tires are completely bald, you'll never need chains on your 4x4. Halfway decent tread and weight in the bed will get you anywhere you need to go.
Total BS . Went to Goat Mountain, I put chains on front and back and ran circles around a guy with 285 Mud Terrains, 3 passengers, and gear. I also had very little experience in comparison to him. I could creep down the hill while he had ABS yelling at him the whole time, and I could take off safer.
Went again with Mountainwolfpup to Mt Hood. I led the crew, so I had to do all the plowing. We got to the point where we had to turn around, and he had to winch and dig with a shovel. I had some digging, but drove it all.

Like Bill Burke says, 4 tires, 4 chains.
In back, you can get going, but have no grip to steer.
In front, you can steer, but can't really get started... or you have your butt slide around.

Chains on front might be difficult or impossible depending on setup. The stock UCA is really close to the inner sidewall, among other stuff in that area where a chain could hang up. I've successfully ran Les Schwabs on the stock setup, but they are real tight and I did bend a corner of the belly pan (which was already bent and asking for it).

Burke and a lot of guys recommend RUD chains, but I think they are real spendy if I remember.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #17
chrisx1 is on a distinguished road
chrisx1's Tacoma Gallery
Another vote for the front if you only have one set. Steering and stopping are way more important than starting.

I have driven 4x4's all my life (I'm 40), and never owned more than one pair/set of chains for my truck. When the need arises - throw them on the front and watch everyone else spin.

All that said, you need to practice putting them on in the garage or on a flat dry surface as said above. You also need to make sure they are on the tire TIGHTLY! Any flopping parts will grab your brake/suspension/inner fender parts and the result will be bad.

Also stop and visually inspect the inside of the wheel every so often. Make certain that everything is tight.

Bungee straps across the outside of the tire in an "X" pattern help to keep the inside tight against the tire.

Now it is also my opinion that you should avoiding chains/cables if at all possible due to the chances of tearing something up.

Chris
Old 09-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #18
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
The manual says to chain up the rear on my 07 Offroad. The upper control arm's are so close to the tires up front it seems it would be impossible to run chains on a stock set-up. I think you'd be better off getting a good set of winter traction tires.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #19
N3ZAT will become famous soon enoughN3ZAT will become famous soon enough
Name: Charlie
N3ZAT's Tacoma Gallery
you boys need to grow up and smell the asphalt chains go on the rear!!!!!!!!!!!!