Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Will 285/70R17 tires fit?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #21
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsik View Post
Is all that really necessary to get a 285/70/17 tire under a 2.5" lift in the front?
Absoloutely... plus trimming the rear wheel well plastic too. I also take issue with the repeated use of the term "a little trimming" because it is not a little... it is a lot and will take many cycles of trimming... finding new rubbing etc. Also fender flare damaging between trimming sessions is likely. I need a new rear fender because people lie about these issues or at least misrepresent them. Note there is no trimming sticky... ever wonder why? Because most people are still rubbing under compression while the wheel is turned various amounts.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #22
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evh5150 View Post
Do you really have to re gear for 33's I only mainly do city driving, with a little highway. I know I will lose mpg's
I lost 4 mpg. It is not a big deal for braking or power but its a huge mileage hit. Gears will get half of it back.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #23
Datsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Datsik's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks devl. Also. How much does it cost to re gear?
Old 05-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #24
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Prolly 1500+ assuming you drive into the shop.

Some folks have had it done cheaper.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #25
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Front and rear or just rear?
Old 05-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #26
Datsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Datsik's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info devl. I think I'm going back down to 265 on a 17x9 wheel for now. At least until my warrant my runs out lol...
Old 05-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #27
Datsik's Tacoma Gallery
And for front and rear
Old 05-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #28
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
You can order assebled front diff with gears and assembled third 3rd member, with gears, for $1300ish plus shipping from east coast gear. Add $1000 for an ARB locker. Then you have to pay shipping both ways (send your diffs back or pay $400 core charges). Then labor... you can install yourself since they have done the hard part or pay 4-6 or so hours of labor for professional install. Toyota will try to charge too many hours for the install.

What you don't want to do is try to set up gears yourself or have anyone but a dedicated rear end guy try to install gears... plus you need a new carrier to install 4.10 gears on a V6 so using ecgs is a no brainer if you won't be replacing it with an air locker.

Don't think you are just gonna order gears and an install kit.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #29
Datsik's Tacoma Gallery
That's exactly what I was thinking lol... I'm thinking I'm going kpt's route. Subtle suspension and wheel change for on/off road versatility. Thanks for the help devl and moose