Notices

Will 285/70R17 tires fit?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
izu_yo is on a distinguished road

izu_yo's Tacoma Gallery
Will 285/70R17 tires fit?

Hi All,

I tried searching the forum for an answer but wasn't able to find what I was looking for. Any insight you guys and girls can provide will be greatly appreciated.

I will be lifting the front end of my 2010 TRD Sport using 5100's set at 1.75 with stock springs.

Will I be able to put on a set of 285/70R17 tires without rubbing issues?

Thank you.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgrnr View Post
PM TCbob and ask him to turn the search feature back on. Must have flipped a breaker.
haha man that fucking classic!

to the op: its the same as the pre 2010 so maybe search for the 2005-2009 range
Old 04-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
izu_yo is on a distinguished road

izu_yo's Tacoma Gallery
lol... search button...

08pretaco: thanks for the advice, i will look it up.

senor taco: checked out your build. your truck is sick! i'll def keep your advice in mind since you're running pretty much what i'm looking at doing.

cheers
Old 05-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
Datsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Datsik's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of trimming do you have to do. And what tool would be preferred?
Old 05-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsik View Post
What kind of trimming do you have to do. And what tool would be preferred?
For cutting the plastic, I like using a sharp wood chisel.

EDIT: Also, for reshaping the plastic of wheelwell and fender flare, a heat gun is absolutely great.

For the pinch weld and cab mount chop, grinder, engineers hammer, welder.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
Datsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Datsik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
For cutting the plastic, I like using a sharp wood chisel.

For the pinch weld and cab mount chop, grinder, engineers hammer, welder.
Is all that really necessary to get a 285/70/17 tire under a 2.5" lift in the front?
Old 05-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsik View Post
Is all that really necessary to get a 285/70/17 tire under a 2.5" lift in the front?
Before I answer that -- the other tool that's really handy is a heat gun. It's great for reshaping all that soft plastic.

But as far as the NEED for trimming goes: Your mileage may vary. But I did all that to run 285/70R17 on a 3" lift.

It just depends on your tolerance for rubbing, and how you use the truck.

But remember the wheel well doesn't change size when you lift. And the truck's only at the full lifted height when parked. Once you're on the road, hitting bumps, turning, backing up, the suspension is cycling dynamically.

And when the suspension's fully compressed, the wheel goes just as far into the wheel well on a lifted truck as an un-lifted truck. (exception: top plate spacer lifts. But that's a whole different discussion.)

I talked to one shop owner who didn't trim his customers' trucks aggressively - he just told them not to turn to hard-steering-lock to avoid contact. Some folks would prefer that vs. taking off pieces of their inner wheelwell. Whatever. I suppose that plan makes sense if you're only going to have the truck a little while, and you plan to return the truck to stock at the end of a lease, or when you sell it less than four years old.

To each their own. I'd rather have fully clearanced tires. And the trimming is not obvious to anyone who doesn't get down and look INSIDE the wheelwell. Even then, folks who don't know what they're looking for usually won't notice.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
Banned
evh5150 will become famous soon enough
Name: Eddie
evh5150's Tacoma Gallery
Do you really have to re gear for 33's I only mainly do city driving, with a little highway. I know I will lose mpg's
Old 05-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
I love my 33's, you will lose some power and will "feel" it, my mpgs went down 1-2 from what they were. Im pretty even highway/city.... Im getting roughly 16 per gallon when i do 70. Ive dropped down to doing 63-65 and my mpg's are about 17-17.5 now
Old 05-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
Banned
evh5150 will become famous soon enough
Name: Eddie
evh5150's Tacoma Gallery
So I already have a full 3 inches of front with the assembled 5100/Eibach combo. No mudflaps. What else would I need to do? I am ordering ATX Slot in chrome (Yes I know I expect the haters). I guess I will need the 1.25 Spidertrax spacers. Oh and I have LR UCA's
Old 05-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Whats to offset on the rims you may not need the spacers...
Old 05-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #15

Yeah i probably would, you may be able to make without, but then again im a big fan of having the wheel stick out alittle
Old 05-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #17

Im not an expert on rims at all lol i would pm this guy KPT he will answer all your questions correctly...
Old 05-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #20

Those are cool, im partial to the machined addicts myself