1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cooper Discoverer ATR

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by MajorlyCool, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Apr 2, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    MajorlyCool

MajorlyCool [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2003 PreRunner
    Does anyone have experience with these tires? A few months ago I had to replace my tires in order to pass inspection and my local garage put these on the back of my Prerunner (I couldn't afford to replace all 4 at the time). From the moment I drove away I've been getting vibration through the steering wheel. I've brought the truck back twice there and once to a Just Tires shop for re-balancing. It's especially noticeable in the 50-60 mph range and seems to smooth out at higher speeds.

I'm wondering if this issue is typical with these tires or less expensive tires generally or maybe one of them is a dud. I've probably been spoiled by the road performance of the BF Goodrich tires that came with it from the factory but I want that smooth ride back! lol Tire size is 265/70R 16.

Thanks in advance!

2. Apr 2, 2010 at 9:31 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I had them on my '05... they were very good tires... Quiet, and did fine four wheeling in the desert.

They were the 4th brand on my '05 ... which came with BFG Rugged Trails, replaced at 20,000 miles for Cooper Discoverer STT (which looked great, but were LOUD on the highway and terrible in sand)... replaced at 60,000 miles with Toyo Open Country ATs (which were good tires)... replaced at 90,000 miles with Cooper Discoverer ATRs and were on the truck when I traded it for my 2010 Tacoma at 102,000 miles... I would put the wear factor giving 30-35,000 miles (the same as the Toyos.

3. Apr 2, 2010 at 9:35 AM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    can you post a pic of them?

4. Apr 2, 2010 at 10:16 AM
    MajorlyCool

MajorlyCool [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2003 PreRunner
    Sure thing. I'll post tonight when I get home from work. Yeah, I had to work today. :(

Products Discussed in

To Top