Cooper Discoverer ATR

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
MajorlyCool is on a distinguished road
Army: Major, USAR RET
Name: Brendan
MajorlyCool's Tacoma Gallery
Cooper Discoverer ATR

Does anyone have experience with these tires? A few months ago I had to replace my tires in order to pass inspection and my local garage put these on the back of my Prerunner (I couldn't afford to replace all 4 at the time). From the moment I drove away I've been getting vibration through the steering wheel. I've brought the truck back twice there and once to a Just Tires shop for re-balancing. It's especially noticeable in the 50-60 mph range and seems to smooth out at higher speeds.

I'm wondering if this issue is typical with these tires or less expensive tires generally or maybe one of them is a dud. I've probably been spoiled by the road performance of the BF Goodrich tires that came with it from the factory but I want that smooth ride back! lol Tire size is 265/70R 16.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I had them on my '05... they were very good tires... Quiet, and did fine four wheeling in the desert.

They were the 4th brand on my '05 ... which came with BFG Rugged Trails, replaced at 20,000 miles for Cooper Discoverer STT (which looked great, but were LOUD on the highway and terrible in sand)... replaced at 60,000 miles with Toyo Open Country ATs (which were good tires)... replaced at 90,000 miles with Cooper Discoverer ATRs and were on the truck when I traded it for my 2010 Tacoma at 102,000 miles... I would put the wear factor giving 30-35,000 miles (the same as the Toyos.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
can you post a pic of them?
Old 04-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
MajorlyCool is on a distinguished road
Army: Major, USAR RET
Name: Brendan
MajorlyCool's Tacoma Gallery
Sure thing. I'll post tonight when I get home from work. Yeah, I had to work today.