Notices

larger tires, slower speed!

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
jczelusniak is on a distinguished road
Name: John
jczelusniak's Tacoma Gallery
larger tires, slower speed!

I put larger tires on my Tacoma, and as a result my speed is different then actual.

How can the speedometer be adjusted for the new size tire?
Old 04-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
can't... need scanguageII... I have same dilemma
Old 04-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Same thing for me. I just use my GPS but I dont really care anyways as long as im in the general MPH's I want to be in.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Professional Amateur
JDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
JDMcompliant's Tacoma Gallery
there is one way (albeit a very sketchy way).

In my old '98 4Runner, I pulled out my gauges to do some work on the gauge face. To do that, you first need to pull off the needle. When pulling off the needle, you need to mark at what point the needle drops to (there should be a needle "rest" at 0 mph...if you remove it, the needle will drop a past the rest and stop.) You have to remember to put the needle back on at this exact point when putting your gauges back together.

The last time I did this, I forgot to mark where the needle stopped. I guesstimated, and after I put everything back together, my speedometer was under by 5 mph. You can technically do this to compensate for the larger tires, but it requires alot of tedious work and trail-and-error.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
^ pretty sure that will not work with newer technology... when i did my dash mod i didnt mark any of the needles, all my gauges read right on except for the spedo. (lift, tires, ect ) gauge reading 70 - gps reads 75. just know your vehicle or use a gps/scangauge to show your true mph.

im about 90% sure the only way to fix the reading would be to somehow re-cal the cpu.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
Professional Amateur
JDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
JDMcompliant's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY50cal View Post
^ pretty sure that will not work with newer technology... when i did my dash mod i didnt mark any of the needles, all my gauges read right on except for the spedo. (lift, tires, ect ) gauge reading 70 - gps reads 75. just know your vehicle or use a gps/scangauge to show your true mph.

im about 90% sure the only way to fix the reading would be to somehow re-cal the cpu.
yeah, that's one thing i forgot to mention -- i don't have any experience with the new gauges. i see OP has an 09 as well.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Not positive about adjusting the speedo. Best bet would be contact a Speedo shop and see if they can assist. Many have purchased Scan guages. Also, GPS systems will help you with speedo readings as they are pretty accurate.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
computer time
Old 04-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #10
Dont be stupid, its not smart.
SurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
SurfInferno's Tacoma Gallery
when i changed my speedo to blue with the LEDs i changed the speedometer because it was off by 5mph. Now it is correct
Old 04-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #12
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
^they dont want to deal with it haha
Old 04-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #13
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Speedometer shop in Columbus Ohio
They may be able to regear your speedo
Evans Speedometer Repair

- www.evansauto.com

Sure there are others in the area. Search Google
Old 04-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #14
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
it's not a big deal...i mean how big are your tires?...it's prolly only off like 2 or 3 mph....not gonna get a ticket for that
Old 04-06-2010, 12:53 AM   #15
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot53 View Post
when i changed my speedo to blue with the LEDs i changed the speedometer because it was off by 5mph. Now it is correct
hmmm, we would like an explanation...

... cause i say bullshit.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:05 AM   #16
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Keep in mind from the factory it is wrong, usually going slightly larger puts it closer to actual real readings...
Old 04-06-2010, 02:45 AM   #17
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
^^^agreed
Old 04-06-2010, 03:25 AM   #19
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Funny thing, my truck came with 285/60/18s (31.5") already on it. The speedo reads 70, the GPS says 68-69. Now that I have 275/65/18s (32.1") the speedo & GPS are in sync no matter what constant speed I travel. I wanna trust it but just doesn't seem right for some reason. Are the factory tire sizes 32" OD? Is it really just wrong from the factory as was stated? Why would that be? Same broke ass logic that puts shitty leafs, folding tailgate, squeaky slave cylinders and other such goodies on for years after they are known problems would be my guess.....or they just think they know everyone will be buying larger tires and are just being proactive?
Old 04-06-2010, 05:51 AM   #20
stenyeart is on a distinguished road
Name: Sean
stenyeart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmb2003 View Post
You could always buy a hypertech calibrator.
x2

Products Discussed in this Thread