Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Please help with torque wrench/lug torque?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
blazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blazze2005's Tacoma Gallery
Please help with torque wrench/lug torque?

Ok been doing some reading about lug torque specs

Ive read that 12MM thread 6-lug should be between 70-80 ft. lbs.

I just installed my new wheels using a torque wrench

Crazy thing is when I'm at 50 ft. lbs. the lugs feel really tight

Like if I were to try and take the torque up to 60 I would really have to put some major pressure on the torque wrench to get it to click at 60 ft. lbs.

Is this normal

Why does 50 ft. lbs. seem perfect for my new wheels but every thing I read says between 70-80

Thanks for any info...
Old 04-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Protected by Glock
Vidman will become famous soon enoughVidman will become famous soon enough
Name: Rick
Vidman's Tacoma Gallery
I think the factory torque specs are around 83 Lbs. i set my mine at around 90. just make sure that the surface is clean. A lot of people don,t like to use never sieze, but i use it all the time. never had a problem with it.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
tiger955 will become famous soon enough
tiger955's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe your torque wrench needs calibrated, take your truck to a small shop and have someone come out and check your wheel torque against their wrench.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
blazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

No the new lugs spin onto the threads nice and easy

Everything is clean

It just feels like 50 ft. lbs. is nice and tight

Seems like if I go anymore I would be really putting some major force on the lug nut

What should I do?

Torque wrench seems to be calibrated and working fine
Old 04-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
some people will call me crazy but i have never used a torque wrench on my lugs in my 25+ years of working on all my cars and trucks never had any problems......
Old 04-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
some people will call me crazy but i have never used a torque wrench on my lugs in my 25+ years of working on all my cars and trucks never had any problems......
I call you... reasonable.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Manual states 85 ft/lbs.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #8

I was just searching ebay for a new torque wrench...And I just realized something...

The torque wrench that I used from my work is Ft. Lbs.

The one I just seen on ebay is Inch lbs.

Am I using the wrong kind of torque wrench to torque my lugs?

thanks for any help
Old 04-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
l_prettyman has a spectacular aura aboutl_prettyman has a spectacular aura about
Name: Logan
l_prettyman's Tacoma Gallery
i torque every single wheel on at 100 lbs. nothing moves unless its at least 100 lbs
Old 04-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
I've never even used a torque wrench I just tighten the lugs until they're tight.
except when we did my timing belt and rebuilt the motor in my dad's old CB750.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #11
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
How long is the torque wrench? The one I use is 22 or 24" and I don't need to really do much other than lean on it to get 85ft.lbs. All things being equal, you'll need to crank harder on a short wrench over a long one. Use weight to your advantage and push down on the wrench instead of pulling up.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #12
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazze2005 View Post
I was just searching ebay for a new torque wrench...And I just realized something...

thanks for any help
No, you are using the correct wrench. Ft.lbs is the correct unit measurement for the lug nuts on your truck. 12in.lbs = 1ft.lb
Old 04-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #13
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazze2005 View Post

thanks for any help
your using ft.lbs which is correct
Old 04-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #14

it's 20" long 1/2" drive

Either it needs calibrating

or I'm just wrench shy because of the new wheels

I'm gonna buy a new torque wrench tomorrow from harbor freight