Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
1989toyotapickup is on a distinguished road
Army: Artillery
Name: Aaron
1989toyotapickup's Tacoma Gallery
bf goodrich vs michelin vs bridgestone

Ok, I’ve officially decided that I want one of these three tires.

BF Goodrich TA KO
Michelin LTX A/T2
Bridgestone Revo 2.

I’m in the military and I’ll be doing a bit of driving going to training and going to my duty station. I’m getting stationed in Colorado at FT. Carson so ice is a big concern. I want an all terrain tire that can be able to handle a bit of highway driving as well as on jeep trails. From all the things that I’ve heard about these tires they all do quite well on the highway but how do they stack up when thrown off-road.
How they do in mud, snow, ice, jeep trails, rock, and sand.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Michelin, but get the ATX not the MS. The MS is good on pavement and wet traction, but sucks serious ass on snow and Ice.

The BFGs are much much better on snow, but again...not so good on ice. Can't say shit about the Revos.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
MonStar
Koov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Koov's Tacoma Gallery
Your poll said Michelin LTX MS2, but then you wrote down Michelin AT.....

MS2 are awesome for road and if you plan to do 95% highway driving.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
BFG AT all the way. I've been through several sets on various vehicles and have no complaints... well, they kinda suck in mud but from my experience all AT tires do in comparison to a mud tire.

BFG ATs are right at home on the highway or at 15psi smooshed over rocks; I never ripped or 'bubbled' a sidewall. I also ran some at 8psi on a ice crust over snow, they did fine minus popping the bead a few times but that's just because I didn't have beadlocks.

Plus they are a tire of choice in the baja races = good indicator.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:00 AM   #6
wheelinAZ
cheffboy3030 is on a distinguished road

Name: Richie
cheffboy3030's Tacoma Gallery
bfg km2s and ltx at2 for snow

The bff kos are best all around off road but for ice and snow the bff km2a (mudders) or michelin ltx at2 would out perfom the bff ko (all terrains) hands down. Forget about bridgestone
Old 05-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
Monk-1
Monk-1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Monk
Monk-1's Tacoma Gallery
Brigestone Revo 2 vs. Michelin LTX A/T 2

I would like to know if anyone has had experience with either of these tires on ice/slush/snow & heavy rain?

The tires (BF RT T/A 265/70R16) that came with my truck are first off all very scary in those situations,[[my all wheel drive VW wagon was better in the snow (with cheap snow tires)than the Taco with these tires]], secondly they are wearing fast-even with rotations at 5k. I only have about 13k miles on them and don't think they'll make it to 20k. I complained to Toyota, and all they said was to use snow tires per the manual. One of the reasons I wanted a truck is to not have a second set of tires (summer/winter) Sorry for bitch'n just don't really have or want to spend the money thanks.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
RedskinRedTaco has much to be proud ofRedskinRedTaco has much to be proud ofRedskinRedTaco has much to be proud ofRedskinRedTaco has much to be proud ofRedskinRedTaco has much to be proud ofRedskinRedTaco has much to be proud ofRedskinRedTaco has much to be proud ofRedskinRedTaco has much to be proud ofRedskinRedTaco has much to be proud ofRedskinRedTaco has much to be proud of
Name: Paul
RedskinRedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've had all three before.

Had the Revo's(275/70/16) on my 1994 Land Cruiser FJ-80 great traction, but heavy as hell. Had the BFG's A/T's (265/65/16) on my 93 extra cab V6 4x4 and my current 07 TRD offroad 4x4 also great traction, but heavy as hell. Switched to the LTX M/S (275/70/16) and love them 14lbs lighter per tire. Great highway, Snow and sand. Haven't played in the mud yet though.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #10
Monk-1
Monk-1's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Krazie Sj, which tires sucks in the ice and snow? thanks
Old 05-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
Monk-1
Monk-1's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Redskin, thanks, tried any of those in the snow? thanks.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
RedskinRedTaco has much to be proud ofRedskinRedTaco has much to be proud ofRedskinRedTaco has much to be proud ofRedskinRedTaco has much to be proud ofRedskinRedTaco has much to be proud ofRedskinRedTaco has much to be proud ofRedskinRedTaco has much to be proud ofRedskinRedTaco has much to be proud ofRedskinRedTaco has much to be proud ofRedskinRedTaco has much to be proud of
The BFG's were probally the best in the snow, but since i've gotten older and don't really go mudding anymore. I love my LTX M/S, and they are also very good in the snow.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #13
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery

I have maybe 1,500 miles on my Michelin LTX AT2s and I love them. I did a post in "Tires & Wheels" a couple of weeks ago on them.

Both are good tires, but a big difference between LTX MS2s and LTX AT2s ... AT2s are much more aggressive & sticky, IMO.

I had Michelin LTX MS on my Tundra and they were good tires too, but not as aggressive as the AT2s and I basically do no off roading.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #14
Monk-1
Monk-1's Tacoma Gallery
NICE! thanks for your input.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #15
Monk-1
Monk-1's Tacoma Gallery
SOS, did you have the BFG R/T tires on your taco? Mine has 13K on it and, I'm thinking I should get tires before winter, because I was so disappointed with the BFG's in the snow last winter. Did the dealer or tire shop pro rate your tires? Thanks.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:19 AM   #16
BFG prorated them for me. I washed the tires with a general purpose cleaner i got from a detailing place online. And it cracked around all of the tread on all four tires. Didnt realize thats what happened until later.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #17
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk-1 View Post
Hey Krazie Sj, which tires sucks in the ice and snow? thanks
The LTX MS suck in snow and ice. Light snow is good, but heavy slushy stuff damn near makes it useless.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #18
HusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to behold
Name: Adam
HusqyRider's Tacoma Gallery
Why not General Grabber ATs? If you're going the BFG route, you might as well save some money.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #19
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk-1 View Post
SOS, did you have the BFG R/T tires on your taco? Mine has 13K on it and, I'm thinking I should get tires before winter, because I was so disappointed with the BFG's in the snow last winter. Did the dealer or tire shop pro rate your tires? Thanks.

Monk_1,

Yes, I did have the OEM BFG R/T tires for about 14 months and 12,500 miles.

WOW, what a difference with these tires vs the OEM BFGs.

I usually buy my tires at Discount Tire or COSTCO. Did Discount Tire this time and they did scratched 2 wheels, but took care of it. No prorate, just traded (sold) them to Discount tires for $200.00 on the AT2s.

Both are good and Discount will match COSTCO's price.

Anytime my truck goes into the shop (for whatever) ... I do a "walk around" the truck with the service guys and show & tell them that the Tacoma has NO scratches or dings. This has saved my azz several times.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #20
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyRider View Post
Why not General Grabber ATs? If you're going the BFG route, you might as well save some money.
+1. This is exactly the route I'm going. General makes a great tire for the money.